Will there be high school football this fall?

Tkinslow

1 hour ago, NLTanker1 said:

The way I understand things, right now, if the KHSAA leaves it to school districts to decide and JCPS says no along with schools not travelling out of state, a program like Trinity would be left with 4 games. 

Warren Central @ Home

St. X

Virginia school @ home

BG @ home 

St.X and Trinity could play twice to add a game. They do it at frosh and jv level. Maybe Trinity could also add DeSales.

9 hours ago, Tigerpride94 said:

St.X and Trinity could play twice to add a game. They do it at frosh and jv level. Maybe Trinity could also add DeSales.

We may finally get the public/private split that we've debated on here for years! 😂

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Bluegrasscard said:

When you do the math remember that "cases" is a positive test - not a person.  Positive tested people will have follow-up testing that is also positive.  So CASES > People infected. 

Somewhat amazing that the number of actual people infected is not a statistic that is released. 

And also remember when you are doing the math, only a fraction of the (4.6MM) population have taken a test... set aside multiple tests. The actual people infected is most likely much higher than the number of confirmed positive cases (i.e. people testing positive).

I hear what you are trying to point out, and there is some validity to it. But you are also trying to portray most get multiple tests. I don't believe that is the case. Most orders require a test, and if positive with no-to-little symptoms you self-isolate for a couple weeks. Then if you're symptom free return to normal activity. You don't keep coming back for tests every 24 hours. With anything else, the truth is somewhere in between.

• Like 1

Regardless of what side you are on, I can't keep but thinking that our approach is totally opposite of what it should be. Schools are either starting back in early August or in our case, after Labor Day. We are a small district with about 2,000 total students. Others have many, many more. 

I've heard people say, "We don't want to let athletics starting to hinder the start of school." I think that is not the right thought process. It sounds good, but why open up the schools without a small "test run"?

I hate to make anyone a guinea pig, but why not allow fall sports to practice normal "with some precautions"? We probably have around 100 athletes that play fall sports. They are some of the most well-conditioned we have. If they were able to be around each other, practice like normal, be in the locker room some, etc., we would be able to see if the virus spreads like crazy or not at all.

Why not experiment with 100 kids as opposed to, in our case, 2,000 kids? 

Because once you open those school doors, its going to be an experiment, whatever you believe. 

I'm all for sports starting back and playing right now. But, I'm also for "practicing" before going into a "game". 

So let sports be a practice for our schools' upcoming game.

41 minutes ago, bugatti said:

And also remember when you are doing the math, only a fraction of the (4.6MM) population have taken a test... set aside multiple tests. The actual people infected is most likely much higher than the number of confirmed positive cases (i.e. people testing positive).

I hear what you are trying to point out, and there is some validity to it. But you are also trying to portray most get multiple tests. I don't believe that is the case. Most orders require a test, and if positive with no-to-little symptoms you self-isolate for a couple weeks. Then if you're symptom free return to normal activity. You don't keep coming back for tests every 24 hours. With anything else, the truth is somewhere in between.

Transparency would (or should) be helpful.  "Cases" without a descriptor adjective is not a useful metric.  "Verified active infections" each week would be more useful.  

Easily the biggest problem we have in making a decision is the inaccuracy of the reported numbers.  Whether you believe they are under-reported or over-reported it is the fact that the numbers are wildly inaccurate makes decision-making for schools and businesses a non-science and thusly a WAG (Wild Guess).  There is no right answer for Superintendents so they are, frankly, compelled to play "cover their butts" both legally and morally.  I cannot see how there will be Fall sports or even Winter sports to be honest.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, ThrowItDeep said:

Regardless of what side you are on, I can't keep but thinking that our approach is totally opposite of what it should be. Schools are either starting back in early August or in our case, after Labor Day. We are a small district with about 2,000 total students. Others have many, many more. 

I've heard people say, "We don't want to let athletics starting to hinder the start of school." I think that is not the right thought process. It sounds good, but why open up the schools without a small "test run"?

I hate to make anyone a guinea pig, but why not allow fall sports to practice normal "with some precautions"? We probably have around 100 athletes that play fall sports. They are some of the most well-conditioned we have. If they were able to be around each other, practice like normal, be in the locker room some, etc., we would be able to see if the virus spreads like crazy or not at all.

Why not experiment with 100 kids as opposed to, in our case, 2,000 kids

Because once you open those school doors, its going to be an experiment, whatever you believe. 

I'm all for sports starting back and playing right now. But, I'm also for "practicing" before going into a "game". 

So let sports be a practice for our schools' upcoming game.

Just stop for a moment and say the bolded out loud.  "Why not experiment with 100 kids?" "Experimenting" with any number of kids when dealing with an infectious disease is not a good idea. No way am I letting anyone experiment on my otherwise healthy kids.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, rjs4470 said:

Just stop for a moment and say the bolded out loud.  "Why not experiment with 100 kids?" "Experimenting" with any number of kids when dealing with an infectious disease is not a good idea. No way am I letting anyone experiment on my otherwise healthy kids.

That's why I said what I did. It's an "experiment" either way. If your school district is definitely going back to school, they are going to "experiment" with every kid that is in their school district. 

Each parent needs to decide if they are allowing their kid to go back to school, participate in athletics, go to a friend's house, etc.

1 hour ago, silo11 said:

The State of Virginia just cancelled their high school football season. 

https://www.pilotonline.com/sports/vp-sp-vhsl-plans-fall-sports-20200715-tkzibu4iwvdcro6az6jugk2hva-story.html

For the fall, and potentially for the year. Must vote on one of three options, which football  is played in two of the options. 

Bellevue Independent School District just issued a public release.  They will not be bringing students back to the school to start the school.  It will be 100% distance learning.  No word on what that means for sports yet but it doesn't look good.

4 hours ago, bulldog77 said:

Easily the biggest problem we have in making a decision is the inaccuracy of the reported numbers.  Whether you believe they are under-reported or over-reported it is the fact that the numbers are wildly inaccurate makes decision-making for schools and businesses a non-science and thusly a WAG (Wild Guess).  There is no right answer for Superintendents so they are, frankly, compelled to play "cover their butts" both legally and morally.  I cannot see how there will be Fall sports or even Winter sports to be honest.

The exact numbers are not necessary to make a decision in this crisis. It is obvious the virus is running rampant and that it is deadly for certain categories of people. It isn't crucial in decision making whether there are 100,000 dead or 175,000 dead. We know it is deadly with either number. That is enough to make decisions.

1 hour ago, Voice of Reason said:

The exact numbers are not necessary to make a decision in this crisis. It is obvious the virus is running rampant and that it is deadly for certain categories of people. It isn't crucial in decision making whether there are 100,000 dead or 175,000 dead. We know it is deadly with either number. That is enough to make decisions.

If the number of people who probably have had the virus is far higher than reported positive cases, stands to reason your chances of getting sick or worse is far less.
We can’t let our economy and education system be destroyed over this. That would be far worse for way many more than could get sick. We need to forge our way through this smartly, but  with resolve. 
We can get it done! 

• Like 1