Will there be high school football this fall?

Tkinslow

5 hours ago, barrel said:

We might end up following the NJ model. They are waiting until after school starts to begin the season. That way football doesn’t set back the start of school and they have a little time to see if school will have an effect on the season. There are a few states that have either started full go or will by next week. 

Kentucky schools open around the same time as the opening games of football.

As to the contact issue and risk, I see soccer just as risky. Cross country has risk with all the runners bunched up. If risk is indoor and within 3 feet, add volleyball especially since every player is touching the ball. Basically, if you can't play football you can't play any fall sport except golf.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Voice of Reason said:

Kentucky schools open around the same time as the opening games of football.

As to the contact issue and risk, I see soccer just as risky. Cross country has risk with all the runners bunched up. If risk is indoor and within 3 feet, add volleyball especially since every player is touching the ball. Basically, if you can't play football you can't play any fall sport except golf.

NJ has pushed back the beginning of their season. I didn’t go into what the NJ model was in detail and I probably should have to avoid any confusion some might have. Yes KY does typically have the first game close to opening of school. We also start our season earlier than many states. 

NJ isn’t allowing full go practice until some time in September. It works out where they get an eight game season. 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, barrel said:

NJ has pushed back the beginning of their season. I didn’t go into what the NJ model was in detail and I probably should have to avoid any confusion some might have. Yes KY does typically have the first game close to opening of school. We also start our season earlier than many states. 

NJ isn’t allowing full go practice until some time in September. It works out where they get an eight game season. 

From what Tackett said, KY starts earlier than every other state in the country, and that perhaps the KHSAA could consider pushing the start back.  I’ve said for years that KY starts too early and should move the start of practice back a couple of weeks.  Essentially, KY only has about 4-6 weeks each year (the summer dead period, Christmas break, spring break) where there isn’t football activity going on.  Give families, coaches and players all of July back.  Some states don’t start until August 15th.

• Like 4

We do start and practice longer than most states. Alaska and us are the only two that start as early as we do. I’m all for a later start.  There are a number of states that get 3-4 weeks to get ready for the season. 

Now football isn’t the only one that can go almost year round. Due to the nature of the sport there are restrictions that other sports don’t have. We are also lucky here that select 7 on 7 isn’t as much of a thing as it is in other states. 

21 minutes ago, barrel said:

We do start and practice longer than most states. Alaska and us are the only two that start as early as we do. I’m all for a later start.  There are a number of states that get 3-4 weeks to get ready for the season. 

Now football isn’t the only one that can go almost year round. Due to the nature of the sport there are restrictions that other sports don’t have. We are also lucky here that select 7 on 7 isn’t as much of a thing as it is in other states. 

Yep...Alaska has pretty major weather issues that start in October, so they have to start early.  And I would agree, that most of the major sports do have close to year round activity.  I know folks want to believe we are preparing kids for sports at the next level, but for 95% of all high school athletes, there is no next level.  The year round aspect of high school sports I do think chase some away from participating (probably the parent).  I think it would be nice for all to have that month or so in the summer to do non sports based family activities.

• Like 1

Just now, John Anthony said:

I’m confused about the late start idea.  COVID and the flu thrives in cold weather.

That's a good point.  It seems be doing ok in the summer, I can only imagine what things will look like come fall.  I think the powers that be are trying to buy as much time as possible...if we started on time, and encounter issues, that will only make us have to wait longer.  I'd say at this point, it's no better than a 50/50 chance we see a fall sports season, other than golf.

• Like 1

On 7/12/2020 at 10:53 AM, 16thBBall Fan said:

Just a little update I go out each Sunday morning around 8 to get food for my wife and me for the week, My wife is very high risk due to diabetes and severe lung issues. Today I went in Walmart, Meijer, and Kroger here in Lexington and in all 3 stores I saw 100% of the people wearing mask. 

I just returned from the Post Office and Sams Club in NKY, 100 % compliance on masks.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, 4 Quarters said:

I just returned from the Post Office and Sams Club in NKY, 100 % compliance on masks.

I went several places yesterday as well, after going to several on Saturday.  I didn't see 100% compliance, but it was easily 90% compliance.

4 minutes ago, 4 Quarters said:

I went to two bars (both very crowded) and two liquor stores over the weekend in NKY and there was 0% compliance on masks other than one of the clerks at one of the liquor stores had one around his neck. 

5 hours ago, rjs4470 said:

From what Tackett said, KY starts earlier than every other state in the country, and that perhaps the KHSAA could consider pushing the start back.  I’ve said for years that KY starts too early and should move the start of practice back a couple of weeks.  Essentially, KY only has about 4-6 weeks each year (the summer dead period, Christmas break, spring break) where there isn’t football activity going on.  Give families, coaches and players all of July back.  Some states don’t start until August 15th.

That’s because basketball starts way too early in Kentucky.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, rjs4470 said:

I went several places yesterday as well, after going to several on Saturday.  I didn't see 100% compliance, but it was easily 90% compliance.

I’m seeing 50-75% compliance across the river.  I don’t understand what NKY is doing.