Will there be high school football this fall?

Tkinslow

2 hours ago, Tkinslow said:

This entire forum is about what we think.

Correct.  But “I think” isn’t good enough to make decisions on in the case of possibly serious health issues.  You’re welcome to think as much as and however you want. I’m not debating that.  I want something a little more concrete when dealing with medical issues that may affect me.

2 hours ago, barrel said:

I’m having a difficult time wrapping my head around some of this. If this was a different forum then I wouldn’t have the issue but this is a HS sports forum and specifically one for HS football. I could be wrong but I have to feel like that if you participate on this forum you are a HS football fan and maybe even played the game. 

For former players that decide not to wear masks. We wore helmets in the heat. Mouth pieces that made it hard to breathe. We went through physical hardships that in some cases in today’s game would borderline on abuse. We played against teams we were over matched against or in physical knockout drag outs. We did all of that and yet we can’t wear a mask for 25 minutes in a store?

If a player does something people view as above the team or refuses to follow a rule he gets blasted. We praise kids for being team players and putting the team before themselves. But we can’t wear a mask?

Maybe a mask doesn’t help at all. If wearing one doesn’t help then ok but what if it does help? What if it just helps get a 1% improvement. Each day and each time you do it you keep adding that 1%. How much improvement have you helped in a month? If we find out with 100% accuracy that wearing a mask doesn’t help then all that has happened is you wore a mask. If we find out later with accuracy that it did help but one didn’t wear one then what? Oops, my bad?

All of us that played have had our 4 years. We’ve had our Friday nights and memories. For many of us it was an amazing experience that we cherish. Yet some people won’t do everything in their power to give these young men the same opportunity because wearing a mask for 25 minutes or any of the other measures are just too hard. 

I mentioned this before, and no one commented.  You’re one hundred percent correct.  It’s hard for me to comprehend how this has become the last straw for people. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, barrel said:

I’m having a difficult time wrapping my head around some of this. If this was a different forum then I wouldn’t have the issue but this is a HS sports forum and specifically one for HS football. I could be wrong but I have to feel like that if you participate on this forum you are a HS football fan and maybe even played the game. 

For former players that decide not to wear masks. We wore helmets in the heat. Mouth pieces that made it hard to breathe. We went through physical hardships that in some cases in today’s game would borderline on abuse. We played against teams we were over matched against or in physical knockout drag outs. We did all of that and yet we can’t wear a mask for 25 minutes in a store?

If a player does something people view as above the team or refuses to follow a rule he gets blasted. We praise kids for being team players and putting the team before themselves. But we can’t wear a mask?

Maybe a mask doesn’t help at all. If wearing one doesn’t help then ok but what if it does help? What if it just helps get a 1% improvement. Each day and each time you do it you keep adding that 1%. How much improvement have you helped in a month? If we find out with 100% accuracy that wearing a mask doesn’t help then all that has happened is you wore a mask. If we find out later with accuracy that it did help but one didn’t wear one then what? Oops, my bad?

All of us that played have had our 4 years. We’ve had our Friday nights and memories. For many of us it was an amazing experience that we cherish. Yet some people won’t do everything in their power to give these young men the same opportunity because wearing a mask for 25 minutes or any of the other measures are just too hard. 

5 minutes ago, rjs4470 said:

I mentioned this before, and no one commented.  You’re one hundred percent correct.  It’s hard for me to comprehend how this has become the last straw for people. 

Right, wrong, or indifferent people are not going to wear masks and if going back to school and playing sports depends on it then there will not be any school or sports. 

3 minutes ago, theguru said:

Right, wrong, or indifferent people are not going to wear masks and if going back to school and playing sports depends on it then there will not be any school or sports. 

Some people won’t wear masks and some will. Obviously people will disagree with my point of view here but if you want schools and sports wear a mask. Don’t say you want or we need those things and refuse to do things that are or could be part of the solution. There are some that will choose either side (to wear or not to wear) that have no skin in the game. If you do have skin in the game then it makes sense to do anything possible to make progress no matter how small of an impact that step might make. 

There is a massive list of things that people do that is more discomforting, invasive, or detrimental due to personnel choice, social norms or laws than wearing a mask. How many people who refuse to wear masks and other measures have issue with players that appear in their eyes to act better than the team or bigger than the game? How many people love the coach that talks about getting his team better a little each day or not worrying about the other team and concentrate on what the team can control yet refuse to wear a mask or other measures? 

JT and many others have said it here and in other states. If you want sports. If you want to enjoy them as a fan, parent or player then do everything in your power to make those things happen. Currently that’s doing as much of the suggested measures as possible. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, rjs4470 said:

Correct.  But “I think” isn’t good enough to make decisions on in the case of possibly serious health issues.  You’re welcome to think as much as and however you want. I’m not debating that.  I want something a little more concrete when dealing with medical issues that may affect me.

I’m not expecting the Khsaa or anyone else to make a decision off my opinion but I thought this was a forum where we spoke our opinions.

17 minutes ago, Tkinslow said:

I’m not expecting the Khsaa or anyone else to make a decision off my opinion but I thought this was a forum where we spoke our opinions.

And it is. You’re missing my point.  All I’m saying is that whoever is making the decision is doing so with the best of information, and the best of intentions.  I’m not telling you you’re wrong or that your opinion is invalid.  My comments weren’t directly pointed at you.

I like what the Commish said about playing fall sports; find a way! Also, what’s the point in moving things/events a couple of weeks? Even if a miracle happens in those two weeks of delay it will still take awhile for that miracle to trickle down to everyone. This is probably a situation we’ll be dealing with in some way for the next couple of years so those in charge need to make decisions and stick to them. From what it sounds like Tackett is trying to ensure there’s a fall sport season in some way, which I respect. Not just kicking to can down the road and delaying everything longer. 

4 hours ago, theguru said:

I’ve been out and about today in NKY and in several stores—Kroger and Home Depot, being the biggest, and I must admit I’m encouraged.  I’m seeing exactly what I saw last week in DE and MD.  At least 90% of folks are wearing masks.  Out of at least a few hundred people, I only saw a dozen or so without masks.  I will say though that it looks like Kroger isn’t actively enforcing it.  People ARE mostly wearing masks.

18 minutes ago, rjs4470 said:

I’ve been out and about today in NKY and in several stores—Kroger and Home Depot, being the biggest, and I must admit I’m encouraged.  I’m seeing exactly what I saw last week in DE and MD.  At least 90% of folks are wearing masks.  Out of at least a few hundred people, I only saw a dozen or so without masks.  I will say though that it looks like Kroger isn’t actively enforcing it.  People ARE mostly wearing masks.

Make another run next Saturday and give us the updated percentages. 

At this point any person I see without a mask in a store or indoors is a personal threat to me and my family. I will do my best to avoid them. If they are approaching me in an aisle and I can't maintain safe distancing, I will tell them to stay away. I will report them to the business we are in. If the business blows it off, I will report the business.

I look at this way. Just like the non mask wearers tell those at risk they shouldn't be out, I say the non mask wearers should not be out. They should stay home and away from everyone else. It is about reducing risk for everyone. If you can't handle wearing a mask, stay home. It is not that difficult to put a mask on and people are freaking out about it.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Voice of Reason said:

At this point any person I see without a mask in a store or indoors is a personal threat to me and my family. I will do my best to avoid them. If they are approaching me in an aisle and I can't maintain safe distancing, I will tell them to stay away. I will report them to the business we are in. If the business blows it off, I will report the business.

I look at this way. Just like the non mask wearers tell those at risk they shouldn't be out, I say the non mask wearers should not be out. They should stay home and away from everyone else. It is about reducing risk for everyone. If you can't handle wearing a mask, stay home. It is not that difficult to put a mask on and people are freaking out about it.

Your philosophy isn't a bad one, as you are staying away from people that aren't wearing masks and they should do the same and respect your space. Non mask wearers shouldn't be told to stay at home though, just like the people that are scared of getting covid shouldn't be told to stay at home, everyone should have that choice as well as option to wear or not wear the mask.

Personally I've spent most of my life building my immune system by not being a germaphobe, nor am I someone that runs and gets medicine every time I get a sore throat, etc. In other words I'd rather rely more on my immune system to prevent me from getting sick than running to the doctor or pharmacy every time I get a sniffle. So I'm not fond of wearing the mask, using a bottle of hand sanitizer every day all while weakening my immune system in the process.

To each their own, Imo. I don't try to force my ideology on others and I don't need them to tell me how to not get sick. For the past 37 years I've done pretty well at not getting sick while following my own beliefs about that.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, theguru said:

Make another run next Saturday and give us the updated percentages. 

I hope you’re wrong.  Everything I’ve seen though from here to the east coast, most people are complying.  I know you don’t like that.  But people are wearing masks without enforcement.  I don’t see that changing, at least in the short term.

3 minutes ago, rjs4470 said:

I hope you’re wrong.  Everything I’ve seen though from here to the east coast, most people are complying.  I know you don’t like that.  But people are wearing masks without enforcement.  I don’t see that changing, at least in the short term.

I don't have any issues with anyone wearing a mask, more power to them.  

With that said, I am not going to wear a mask and I am not going to patronize any businesses that require me to wear a mask. 

28 minutes ago, JDEaston said:

Your philosophy isn't a bad one, as you are staying away from people that aren't wearing masks and they should do the same and respect your space. Non mask wearers shouldn't be told to stay at home though, just like the people that are scared of getting covid shouldn't be told to stay at home, everyone should have that choice as well as option to wear or not wear the mask.

Personally I've spent most of my life building my immune system by not being a germaphobe, nor am I someone that runs and gets medicine every time I get a sore throat, etc. In other words I'd rather rely more on my immune system to prevent me from getting sick than running to the doctor or pharmacy every time I get a sniffle. So I'm not fond of wearing the mask, using a bottle of hand sanitizer every day all while weakening my immune system in the process.

To each their own, Imo. I don't try to force my ideology on others and I don't need them to tell me how to not get sick. For the past 37 years I've done pretty well at not getting sick while following my own beliefs about that.

Ideology has nothing to do with my viewpoint. This is a scientific based health issue and risk control.

I would guess there are very, very few people on this site who have had fewer health issues in their life than me. I don't get sick at all.  A runny nose type of cold every 3 or 4 years and that is it. Despite that I do not want to test my immune system with this virus.  If it is inevitable that all of us are going to get it at some point, my goal is to be the last person on the planet that gets it.