Will there be high school football this fall?

Tkinslow

15 minutes ago, Voice of Reason said:

Ideology has nothing to do with my viewpoint. This is a scientific based health issue and risk control.

I would guess there are very, very few people on this site who have had fewer health issues in their life than me. I don't get sick at all.  A runny nose type of cold every 3 or 4 years and that is it. Despite that I do not want to test my immune system with this virus.  If it is inevitable that all of us are going to get it at some point, my goal is to be the last person on the planet that gets it.

You sound a lot like me only I get the cold/whatever thing once or sometimes twice a year.

As I have stated in other threads, I believe I had the Rona right around Xmas.  It rocked me pretty good.  Nothing that had me thinking I needed medical treatment but more like an aggressive strain of influenza. 

30 minutes ago, Voice of Reason said:

Ideology has nothing to do with my viewpoint. This is a scientific based health issue and risk control.

I would guess there are very, very few people on this site who have had fewer health issues in their life than me. I don't get sick at all.  A runny nose type of cold every 3 or 4 years and that is it. Despite that I do not want to test my immune system with this virus.  If it is inevitable that all of us are going to get it at some point, my goal is to be the last person on the planet that gets it.

So a quick question then, since you rarely get sick. Did you typically wear a mask when frequenting indoor public places prior to covid, or is this something new that you are doing? If its new, then maybe the reason you don't get sick often is due to the fact that you have a strong immune system. Unfortunately, the mask, constant hand sanitizing etc, will weaken said immune system over time.

6 minutes ago, JDEaston said:

So a quick question then, since you rarely get sick. Did you typically wear a mask when frequenting indoor public places prior to covid, or is this something new that you are doing? If its new, then maybe the reason you don't get sick often is due to the fact that you have a strong immune system. Unfortunately, the mask, constant hand sanitizing etc, will weaken said immune system over time.

No doubt I have a strong immune system. The only time I ever wore a mask before this was on a home remodeling project. I am not worried about wearing a mask and hand sanitizing for the next few weeks, months, year hurting my immune system. If I have to do this for another year, so be it.

18 minutes ago, theguru said:

You sound a lot like me only I get the cold/whatever thing once or sometimes twice a year.

As I have stated in other threads, I believe I had the Rona right around Xmas.  It rocked me pretty good.  Nothing that had me thinking I needed medical treatment but more like an aggressive strain of influenza. 

Similar experience during that time frame with my family and a few of my friends. I don't know what it was and myself and my wife and our daughter had lighter cases of it, never needed medical attention, though my daughter did go to the doctor due to missing school and the flu test came back negative. My mom and her twin sister both had it pretty bad and both tested negative for both types of the flu, their doctors said it was a severe upper respitory infection and both were prescribed zpacks. A few days later they were feeling fine, just tired.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Voice of Reason said:

No doubt I have a strong immune system. The only time I ever wore a mask before this was on a home remodeling project. I am not worried about wearing a mask and hand sanitizing for the next few weeks, months, year hurting my immune system. If I have to do this for another year, so be it.

To each their own. I'm not sure how long it takes to weaken an immune system due to lack of exposure to germs. But if its anything like when people that diet quit doing that or people that excessive regularly stop doing that then it could happen quickly. Everyone's body is different, I don't need to go to the gym or diet to stay in shape, but some people do. I've also seen how quick things change when those people quit doing that and I don't want my immune system regressing at that type of speed from eliminating germs from my daily activities.

2 minutes ago, Voice of Reason said:

Going back to ideology though, I think it is an ideology issue for a lot of the people not wearing masks. If it isn't ideology, then it is selfishness. They just don't want to be a little uncomfortable.

Wouldn't it be selfish to force me to wear a mask when I may feel like doing so could weaken my immune system as well? That idealogy works both ways. 

13 minutes ago, JDEaston said:

This is another one of those social media claims that’s been floating around as a reason to not wear a mask.  I’ve looked at many different sources and cannot find any substance to this claim, especially in regards to CV.  This is a brand new virus, and there’s no proof that we are anywhere close to herd immunity (which may not even be possible).  And more importantly, let’s say your immune system is super strong....that alone won’t prevent you from spreading CV to others..wearing a mask along with sanitizing and distancing can.  Once again, the mask isn’t so much to protect you, it’s to protect others.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, rjs4470 said:

This is another one of those social media claims that’s been floating around as a reason to not wear a mask.  I’ve looked at many different sources and cannot find any substance to this claim, especially in regards to CV.  This is a brand new virus, and there’s no proof that we are anywhere close to herd immunity (which may not even be possible).  And more importantly, let’s say your immune system is super strong....that alone won’t prevent you from spreading CV to others..wearing a mask along with sanitizing and distancing can.  Once again, the mask isn’t so much to protect you, it’s to protect others.  

Your immune system strengthens itself over time from being exposed to germs, viruses, etc. Thats how flu shots, etc work, the flu is present in the shot and after getting the shot your body builds more antibodies to it. Take away exposure to all germs and viruses and you may as well live in a bubble or you're gonna get sick and your immune system may not be able to fight it. I don't get my news from social media, but do have several health professionals in my family. You start taking away germs and you're going to weaken your immune system over time. 

9 minutes ago, JDEaston said:

Wouldn't it be selfish to force me to wear a mask when I may feel like doing so could weaken my immune system as well? That idealogy works both ways. 

If there is science that backs up wearing a mask weakens the immune system, then that supports your thought. I find it hard to believe wearing a mask inside a public building for the next couple months will have much of an impact on anyone's immune system. Even if it does, if we are balancing risk, the risk of getting infected is surely much greater than any risk to the immune system by not wearing a mask.

11 minutes ago, rjs4470 said:

Why weren't mask mandated back in March during peak mortality rates?

7 minutes ago, JDEaston said:

Your immune system strengthens itself over time from being exposed to germs, viruses, etc. Thats how flu shots, etc work, the flu is present in the shot and after getting the shot your body builds more antibodies to it. Take away exposure to all germs and viruses and you may as well live in a bubble or you're gonna get sick and your immune system may not be able to fight it. I don't get my news from social media, but do have several health professionals in my family. You start taking away germs and you're going to weaken your immune system over time. 

I understand the theory behind this.  But I literally can’t find anything from any credible sources anywhere to support the claim. If this were the case, people should have lived longer in the days before modern sanitation, and the recommendation has always been to wash your hands.  Parents have been telling kids to do that forever.  If constant exposure was important, why wash your hands at all?and if lots of exposure was important, even with a mask, you are still being constantly exposed to bacteria and other contaminants throughout the day. Besides, you’re not being told to wear the mask 24-7...just an hour or so a day while out in public.  I find it hard to believe wearing a mask 10 or even 20% a day is going to be harmful.  

5 minutes ago, Voice of Reason said:

If there is science that backs up wearing a mask weakens the immune system, then that supports your thought. I find it hard to believe wearing a mask inside a public building for the next couple months will have much of an impact on anyone's immune system. Even if it does, if we are balancing risk, the risk of getting infected is surely much greater than any risk to the immune system by not wearing a mask.

You have the risk of getting sick one way or another every day. As cases rise with this virus we are learning that its no where near as deadly as we were told. So if I can build somewhat of an immunity to it by not wearing a mask everywhere then I'll choose to do that and hopefully fight it off if I do get it.

I'd rather take that approach myself. This isn't going away anytime soon, if ever. Once there is a working vaccine, if there ever is, how effective will it be and how long will that take? So how long am I supposed to wear the mask and weaken my immune system? Until they tell me so? That doesn't work for me.

15 minutes ago, John Anthony said:

Why weren't mask mandated back in March during peak mortality rates?

Part of it because there was a severe shortage of masks, and medical personnel needed them.   Also, This was so new, there was a lot unknown and we didn’t completely understand how it was spread.  We get better and learn more all the time about everything, and especially in medicine, it’s not unusual for treatments and recommendations to change.  If we didn’t continue to evolve as we learn, we’d still be draining blood from people to “let the illness out”

3 minutes ago, JDEaston said:

You have the risk of getting sick one way or another every day. As cases rise with this virus we are learning that its no where near as deadly as we were told. So if I can build somewhat of an immunity to it by not wearing a mask everywhere then I'll choose to do that and hopefully fight it off if I do get it.

I'd rather take that approach myself. This isn't going away anytime soon, if ever. Once there is a working vaccine, if there ever is, how effective will it be and how long will that take? So how long am I supposed to wear the mask and weaken my immune system? Until they tell me so? That doesn't work for me.

Again, I go back to limiting your ability to spread, especially if your symptoms are mild or you are asymptomatic.  The mask isn’t so much to protect you.