Will there be high school football this fall?

Tkinslow

31 minutes ago, NKYPrepSportsFan said:

When the CDC counts the common cold as a positive COVID case, the numbers are and will continue to be skewed.  Here is the language copied directly from the CDC website:

"A positive test result shows you may have antibodies from an infection with the virus that causes COVID-19. However, there is a chance a positive result means that you have antibodies from an infection with a virus from the same family of viruses (called coronaviruses), such as the one that causes the common cold."

So, if you've had the common cold in the last 17 years, you could test positive for COVID and be included in the numbers.  

Here's another one of those things folks keep trotting out there as proof that the numbers are skewed.  The positive result the CDC is referring to in the above statement is related to the Covid Antibody test. That test only confirms if you've had Covid in the past, and is not used to determine if you've currently got Covid or not. The antibody test is not used when determining cause of death. The viral test is the test that is used to determine whether or not you have an active CV 19 infection, and the results from a viral test is actually what is used when determining if a death was Covid related or not. So your statement regarding the common cold couldn't be more incorrect. It's important to take in the whole context...you can't just pick and choose bullett  points.

Here is the CDC information for the Viral test and antibody test and how they are used, and why they are different.  https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/testing/diagnostic-testing.htmlhttps://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/testing/serology-overview.html

I urge everyone to do your due diligence before you jump on these memes and posts from non reliable sources, because the misinformation that is being spread by those who are quick to grab on to the conspiracy/hoax/media agenda theories, are causing people to make bad decisions regarding their health.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, NKYPrepSportsFan said:

When the CDC counts the common cold as a positive COVID case, the numbers are and will continue to be skewed.  Here is the language copied directly from the CDC website:

"A positive test result shows you may have antibodies from an infection with the virus that causes COVID-19. However, there is a chance a positive result means that you have antibodies from an infection with a virus from the same family of viruses (called coronaviruses), such as the one that causes the common cold."

So, if you've had the common cold in the last 17 years, you could test positive for COVID and be included in the numbers.  

Of the like 100 hundred viruses that cause cold only 4 of them are Corona viruses and antibodies wane over time so would have had a corona virus in last year to have antibodies that would trigger a positive antibody test.

22 minutes ago, Tigerpride94 said:

Of the like 100 hundred viruses that cause cold only 4 of them are Corona viruses and antibodies wane over time so would have had a corona virus in last year to have antibodies that would trigger a positive antibody test.

Which still wouldn't be used to determine whether or not you have an active infection or in a cause of death explanation.  Only the viral test can do that.

31 minutes ago, rjs4470 said:

Here's another one of those things folks keep trotting out there as proof that the numbers are skewed.  The positive result the CDC is referring to in the above statement is related to the Covid Antibody test. That test only confirms if you've had Covid in the past, and is not used to determine if you've currently got Covid or not. The antibody test is not used when determining cause of death. The viral test is the test that is used to determine whether or not you have an active CV 19 infection, and the results from a viral test is actually what is used when determining if a death was Covid related or not. So your statement regarding the common cold couldn't be more incorrect. It's important to take in the whole context...you can't just pick and choose bullett  points.

Here is the CDC information for the Viral test and antibody test and how they are used, and why they are different.  https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/testing/diagnostic-testing.htmlhttps://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/testing/serology-overview.html

I urge everyone to do your due diligence before you jump on these memes and posts from non reliable sources, because the misinformation that is being spread by those who are quick to grab on to the conspiracy/hoax/media agenda theories, are causing people to make bad decisions regarding their health.

I believe we need to take steps to stay safe. BUT 

I also believe that the numbers are misleading. We hear a number of positive test are daily. What we don't hear is when those test taken. What we are getting is a total of positive test results received that day. Some test take 10 - 7 -5 days to return. So I want to know the following 

Day 1 

Number tested on Day 1, Number Positive test on Day 1 , Number negative test on day 1, Number of people in ICU on Day 1. Then do same thing each day. 

Example of 967 test on Sunday scares everyone. But this number is from several days. 

I am not saying we shouldn't be concerned. But I want real numbers daily. 

• Like 1

Just now, CoachBuckett said:

I believe we need to take steps to stay safe. BUT 

I also believe that the numbers are misleading. We hear a number of positive test are daily. What we don't hear is when those test taken. What we are getting is a total of positive test results received that day. Some test take 10 - 7 -5 days to return. So I want to know the following 

Day 1 

Number tested on Day 1, Number Positive test on Day 1 , Number negative test on day 1, Number of people in ICU on Day 1. Then do same thing each day. 

Example of 967 test on Sunday scares everyone. But this number is from several days. 

I am not saying we shouldn't be concerned. But I want real numbers daily. 

From what I understand is that isn't possible with current testing processes. And that has been an issue since day one, so the numbers as they've been reported over time have been under the same methodology. So if we are showing record/increasing numbers now, that reporting is still relevant, and is still alarming.

22 minutes ago, rjs4470 said:

From what I understand is that isn't possible with current testing processes. And that has been an issue since day one, so the numbers as they've been reported over time have been under the same methodology. So if we are showing record/increasing numbers now, that reporting is still relevant, and is still alarming.

Yes it is something we should be concerned about. But to jump 700 people in day scares everyone and those numbers are misleading. They are working on daily averages then report the daily averages and not a 700 person bump like they did on Sunday. 

I am sending my child to school. Because the mental health is more concerning than this virus. 

I am watching both sides react and the truth has to be in the middle. If the truth is in the middle then I think it is safe to live as close to normal as possible. With some exceptions. 

• Like 2

Just now, CoachBuckett said:

Yes it is something we should be concerned about. But to jump 700 people in day scares everyone and those numbers are misleading. They are working on daily averages then report the daily averages and not a 700 person bump like they did on Sunday. 

I am sending my child to school. Because the mental health is more concerning that this virus. 

I am watching both sides react and the truth has to be in the middle. If the truth is in the middle then I think it is safe to live as close to normal as possible. With some exceptions. 

Whether it's 1, 3 or 7, days, it's still all relative. We are seeing large numbers of infections, more so than any other period of the pandemic. 

1 hour ago, NKYPrepSportsFan said:

There are well over 200 different types of viruses that cause the common cold, and there are exactly four types of coronaviruses that are all separate from COVID19 which can cause the common cold - 229E, NL63, OC43, and HKU1. Rhinovirus causes upwards of 40% of the cases of common cold, and I've seen numbers that suggest that the four types of non-COVID19 coronaviruses combine to cause less than 3% of the cases of common cold.

So the "could" in your last sentence should be underlined and italicized. It's a possibility that it could be counted that way, but it's also not likely.

Pregnancy tests can give false results sometimes too...but there are still plenty of those selling.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Colonels_Wear_Blue said:

There are well over 200 different types of viruses that cause the common cold, and there are exactly four types of coronaviruses that are all separate from COVID19 which can cause the common cold - 229E, NL63, OC43, and HKU1. Rhinovirus causes upwards of 40% of the cases of common cold, and I've seen numbers that suggest that the four types of non-COVID19 coronaviruses combine to cause less than 3% of the cases of common cold.

So the "could" in your last sentence should be underlined and italicized. It's a possibility that it could be counted that way, but it's also not likely.

Pregnancy tests can give false results sometimes too...but there are still plenty of those selling.

This is also important to note.  But still, the numbers reported aren't coming from the anitbody test that the poster was originally referring to.  The reported numbers of active cases are only coming from the viral test. Based on that and the information posted here, the assumption that the common cold is skewing numbers positively couldn't be more incorrect.

6 hours ago, swamprat said:

Define "practice". I know East Lake has been having at least tryout and conditioning sessions since mid to late June. 

Can officially start with helmets, and work towards full gear. In Hillsborough County, we’re currently in phase 2 of 3 of our summer conditioning. It is looking like many counties will not begin official fall practice on the 27th. 

30 minutes ago, rjs4470 said:

This is also important to note.  But still, the numbers reported aren't coming from the anitbody test that the poster was originally referring to.  The reported numbers of active cases are only coming from the viral test. Based on that and the information posted here, the assumption that the common cold is skewing numbers positively couldn't be more incorrect.

Are you 100% sure that the state is reporting only viral positives and not also including antibody/serology positives?  The CDC itself and 11 states (Colorado, Delaware, Georgia, Maine, Mississippi, Missouri, New Hampshire, Pennsylvania, Texas, Vermont and Virginiawere found to be conflating those numbers back in late May.  

Currently, when the state reports its total number of tests administered, it combines the total number of each type of test and shows the breakdown.  However, when they report the total number of positives, they do not include the breakdown.  They do include "probable" cases in the total positive count though.  And when CNN reached out to the state of Kentucky in May to ask about conflating the two, the state of Kentucky did not provide a response.  

I've emailed the state myself to ask about this issue and have yet to receive a response. 

Help me out... Thanks in advance.   

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, NKYPrepSportsFan said:

Are you 100% sure that the state is reporting only viral positives and not also including antibody/serology positives?  The CDC itself and 11 states (Colorado, Delaware, Georgia, Maine, Mississippi, Missouri, New Hampshire, Pennsylvania, Texas, Vermont and Virginiawere found to be conflating those numbers back in late May.  

Currently, when the state reports its total number of tests administered, it combines the total number of each type of test and shows the breakdown.  However, when they report the total number of positives, they do not include the breakdown.  They do include "probable" cases in the total positive count though.  And when CNN reached out to the state of Kentucky in May to ask about conflating the two, the state of Kentucky did not provide a response.  

I've emailed the state myself to ask about this issue and have yet to receive a response. 

Help me out... Thanks in advance.   

It's my understanding they are not, but I can't prove it.  I am fairly certain that antibody tests aren't being used when determining cause of death.

I would prefer that we deal with hospitalizations and deaths only, and then break them into age groups.  

Then we might find out how truly hazardous this thing is to the general population..

The few people that I know who have had it, or have been "down" with it, experienced symptoms for about 8 hours and did not require hospitalization.  The one who did require hospitalization was there for four days and has totally recovered. We can deal with that.  We'd all volunteer to get it for eight hours and move on.  

While raw numbers sound high.  Kentucky's 24,000 "cases": are only .004% of the population, which, better stated, is 1 in every 100,000 of us.  

I

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Mustang said:

I would prefer that we deal with hospitalizations and deaths only, and then break them into age groups.  

Then we might find out how truly hazardous this thing is to the general population..

The few people that I know who have had it, or have been "down" with it, experienced symptoms for about 8 hours and did not require hospitalization.  The one who did require hospitalization was there for four days and has totally recovered. We can deal with that.  We'd all volunteer to get it for eight hours and move on.  

While raw numbers sound high.  Kentucky's 24,000 "cases": are only .004% of the population, which, better stated, is 1 in every 100,000 of us.  

I

With this link and the links it leads to you can slice and dice deaths in almost infinite ways. 

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nvss/vsrr/covid19/index.htm

The most basic interesting statistic.  Of the deaths that "involve" COVID-19 overall, over 50% of them come from the worst 5 states. 

• Like 1