Will there be high school football this fall?

Tkinslow

1 hour ago, 16thBBall Fan said:

I am hearing that Kentucky will delay as far as football goes until week 5 of the football season and play 6 games. Your 4 or 5 district games for most schools and 1 or 2 more regular games then the post season. I guess we will hear for sure tomorrow.

Are there any 6 team districts? There are 5 and a lot of 4 but I don’t think there are any 6 team districts. So under that model teams would play 3-4 district games. Somewhere in those weeks 6-11 a lot of teams have a bye also. Restricting play to almost exclusively district play is going to be really rough on some programs. 

15 minutes ago, barrel said:

Are there any 6 team districts? There are 5 and a lot of 4 but I don’t think there are any 6 team districts. So under that model teams would play 3-4 district games. Somewhere in those weeks 6-11 a lot of teams have a bye also. Restricting play to almost exclusively district play is going to be really rough on some programs. 

I wasn't sure if there were any 6 team district's but if they are only 4 team districts I guess some schools could play as many as 3 games outside of district games. I would think if teams are only allowed 6 games I doubt many would want to have a bye week and would try to play someone that would also not want a bye.

For some teams JV could be a big risk for extra exposure for the virus to spread between teams. JV plays and then practices against/with the varsity. A JV player become infected from playing a JV game and now spreads it to the varsity program.  Some teams won’t want to run that risk and others can’t afford to run that risk. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, gchs_uk9 said:

I was commenting on the Virginia model. All three seasons would be played, just a little squeezed. I’d rather play a partial season than no season at all. 

I know but if the plan extends throughout DEC-JUN it limits the athletes and takes away from other sports. I agree partial season is better than none- but hope Ky doesn't look a model like that one.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, barrel said:

Then you’ll also have a few schools that will have to do something because they play their district games earlier than most. 

To my knowledge there are only two district games prior to September 18: Scott County/Great Crossing and Owensboro/Breckinridge County, both on opening weekend. The September 18 games (I only saw one or two with a cursory glance) have in most cases been moved to that date to avoid playing fall break, so in most cases those teams have an open spot where a game could be moved. If the first few weeks were canceled, I'm sure the KHSAA would give those schools an out to eliminate the contract to get in a district game. You'd probably see quite a few teams trying to get games to fill in open dates, too.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, gchs_uk9 said:

To my knowledge there are only two district games prior to September 18: Scott County/Great Crossing and Owensboro/Breckinridge County, both on opening weekend. The September 18 games (I only saw one or two with a cursory glance) have in most cases been moved to that date to avoid playing fall break, so in most cases those teams have an open spot where a game could be moved. If the first few weeks were canceled, I'm sure the KHSAA would give those schools an out to eliminate the contract to get in a district game. You'd probably see quite a few teams trying to get games to fill in open dates, too.

In the Scott Co/Great Crossing case it wasn’t done to avoid fall break. Scott Co takes their bye week 11. I think Great Crossing is around week 9. I believe Scott Co is playing a district game that week. That whole arrangement could be sorted out some how do big deal or it could get messy. I don’t know if I would be surprised either way. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, LongTimeReader said:

How do you think KHSAA handle JV and Freshman teams? In Florida there’s a good chance we won’t have a JV season, at least in the Tampa Bay area. 

As of last week, though, the TBYFL was pushing ahead. They allowed resumption of conditioning practice last Monday and have scheduled August 17 as the start of full contact practices. Games are still scheduled to start on September 5.

• Like 1

8/24 - Start Practice

8/26 - Helmets Only

9/2 - Shoulder Pads

9/5 - Full Gear

9/11 - First Game (Original Week 4)

Playoffs would be pushed back one week, Nov 13-14. Finals Dec 11-12.

The board will meet again before the start date to examine numbers and determine if they will move forward. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2