Will there be high school football this fall?

Tkinslow

5 hours ago, barrel said:

Has Mason Co been doing activities since early/mid June? Teams have been able to use a ball since near the end of June. My point is it’s not like they just starting football activities and a Covid case popped up. If they have been operating like a lot of the state they’ve been doing activities for almost two months. I have no idea what the article says but with one player testing positive it sounds like they are shutting stuff down just to be safe. The player could of went on a trip and come back. Then tested positive and since he was at practice they shut it down even though no other player had contracted it. 

I believe the kid contracted the virus outside of Football activities and then reported it to the team when his test came back.  The team chose to suspend activities to deep clean and be on the side of caution.

• Like 2

If what I just heard on the radio is accurate, Ohio just effectively shut down football this fall. The report I heard said they are requiring all team personnel, players and coaches to have a Coronavirus test within 72 hours of game time and they all must isolate until game time. I don't see any way that can be done in the high school sports.

3 minutes ago, Voice of Reason said:

If what I just heard on the radio is accurate, Ohio just effectively shut down football this fall. The report I heard said they are requiring all team personnel, players and coaches to have a Coronavirus test within 72 hours of game time and they all must isolate until game time. I don't see any way that can be done in the high school sports.

Yeah, that seems like a way to cancel the season without actually having the stones to do it. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Voice of Reason said:

I know this is for more than just football. 

37 minutes ago, nees1212 said:

I know this is for more than just football. 

It looks like it's for all high contact sports.  I also read, that several counties, Cuyahoga being one, have guidelines in place that basically won't allow school districts to play fall sports. So not everyone is on the same page in Ohio.  That further reinforces my thought that there will be districts in KY that pull the plug on fall sports.

On 7/30/2020 at 7:25 AM, barrel said:

Has Mason Co been doing activities since early/mid June? Teams have been able to use a ball since near the end of June. My point is it’s not like they just starting football activities and a Covid case popped up. If they have been operating like a lot of the state they’ve been doing activities for almost two months. I have no idea what the article says but with one player testing positive it sounds like they are shutting stuff down just to be safe. The player could of went on a trip and come back. Then tested positive and since he was at practice they shut it down even though no other player had contracted it. 

Are teams allowed to use a ball? I thought teams weren’t even allowed to use a football still in KY?

3 hours ago, Voice of Reason said:

Just read news article on this. It’s not a new order and no final decision has been made regarding fall sports.

• Thanks 1

Here's what the Ohio Department of Health is officially directing...

(Contact sports are defined as football, basketball, rugby, field hockey. soccer, lacrosse, wrestling, hockey, boxing. futsal and martial arts with opponents.)

9. Sector Specific COVID-19 Information and Checklist for Contact Sport Practices and Non-Contact Sport Competitions. Activities, leagues, organizations, businesses, or employers, whether currently open or reopening, are to take the following actions:

A. Players, Coaches, Athletic Trainers, and Officials

i. Players, coaches, athletic trainers, and officials must conduct daily symptom assessments. Anyone experiencing symptoms, including fever or chills, cough, shortness of breath or difficulty breathing, fatigue, muscle or body aches, headache, new loss of taste or smell, sore throat, congestion or runny nose, nausea or vomiting, and diarrhea, must stay home.

ii. Athletic trainers must wear a face covering when attending to an injured player, preferably a medical-grade mask, except for one of the following reasons:

1. Facial coverings in the work setting are prohibited by law or regulation;
2. Facial coverings are in violation of documented industry standards;
3. Facial coverings are not advisable for health reasons;
4. Facial coverings are in violation of the business's documented safety policies; or
5. Facial coverings are not required when the employee works alone in an assigned work area.
6. There is a functional (practical) reason for an employee not to wear a facial covering in the workplace.

Written justification must be provided to local health officials, upon request, explaining why an athletic trainer is not required to wear a facial covering when attending to an injured player. At minimum, facial coverings (masks) should be cloth/fabric and cover an individual's nose, mouth, and chin.

iii. It is recommended that, if possible, Coaches, athletic trainers and officials should wear face coverings at all times and players should wear face coverings when not on the field or court of play except for one of the following reasons:

1. Facial coverings in the setting are prohibited by law or regulation;
4. Facial coverings are in violation of documented safety policies; or
5. There is a functional (practical) reason not to wear a facial covering.

iv. It is recommended that, if possible, promote good hand hygiene and respiratory etiquette. Flyers and signs are available at coronavirus.ohio.gov.

v. It is recommended that, if possible, ask a parent/volunteer to help monitor/ensure social distancing on teams of young children.

vi. It is recommended that, if possible, identify players at higher risk of developing serious complications from COVID-19, such as those with asthma diabetes or other health problems and take extra precautions to protect them.

B. Spectators

i. Spectators must conduct daily symptom assessments. Anyone experiencing symptoms, including fever or chills, cough, shortness of breath or difficulty breathing, fatigue, muscle or body aches, headache, new loss of taste or smell, sore throat, congestion or runny nose, nausea or vomiting, and diarrhea, must stay home.

ii. Six-feet social distancing must be maintained between individuals.

iii. No congregating before or after practices or games is permitted.

iv. It is recommended that, if possible, spectators should wear face coverings at all times except for one of the following reasons:

1. Facial coverings in the setting are prohibited by law or regulation;
4. Facial coverings are in violation of documented safety policies; or
5. There is a functional (practical) reason not to wear a facial covering.

C. Practices, Games, and Tournaments

i. Six-feet social distance must be maintained between individuals except when on the field or court of play.

ii. Physical contact is only permitted within the rules of the game during competitive practice. Players, coaches, and officials are not to physically contact each other before or after competitive practice (i.e. greetings, team huddles, high-fives, congregating, etc.)

iii. Limit time spent on activities where players are in close proximity for extended periods of time (e.g. repeatedly practicing corner or penalty kicks in soccer or rebounding drills in basketball).

iv. Facilities/clubs/teams must ensure that facilities have adequate space for social distancing for players, coaches, officials, athletic trainers, parents/guardians, and spectators off the field or court of play.

v. No congregating before or after practices or games is permitted.

vi. Prior to competitive tournaments for non-contact sports, tournament organizers must alert the local health department.

vii. It is recommended that, if possible, during practices, consider putting players into small groups that remain together through practice stations rather than mixing groups for station to station.

D. Equipment

i. Whenever possible, equipment and personal items (such as water bottles) should have proper separation and should not be shared. If equipment must be shared, proper sanitation should be performed between users. Water bottles, food, and drinks should not be shared.

ii. It is recommended that, if possible, competing players/teams should not use the same equipment.

iii. It is recommended that, if possible, make sure there are adequate supplies of items and equipment to the extent possible to minimize the need for sharing (e.g. bats, protective gear, etc.)

E. Facilities and Venues

i. Time should be allotted between practice sessions to allow teams to exit fields/facilities prior to new teams arriving and for proper sanitizing for shared spaces (benches, equipment, etc.)

ii. Organizers of non-contact sports tournaments must follow applicable guidance for venues (including grandstands) in which the tournament is held.

iii. It is recommended that, if possible, promote good hand hygiene and respiratory etiquette. Flyers and signs are available at coronavirus.ohio.gov.

iv. It is recommended that, if possible, make hand sanitizer available at convenient locations.

v. It is recommended that, if possible, if playing inside, ensure ventilation systems or

fans operate properly. Increase circulation of outdoor air as much as possible, such

as opening windows and doors unless doing so poses a safety or health risk.

F. Non-Contact Travel Teams

i. It is recommended that, if possible, consider competing only against teams in your local area. Traveling outside the local community may increase the changes of exposing players, coaches, and fans to COVID-19, or unknowingly spreading it to others.

ii. It is recommended that, if possible, limit use of carpools. Encourage players to only ride with others in their household if possible.

G. Confirmed Case

i. Immediately isolate and seek medical care for any individual who develops symptoms.

ii. Contact the local health district about suspected cases or exposure.

iii. It is recommended that, if possible, work with local health department to identify potentially infected or exposed individuals to help facilitate effective exposure notification.

iv. It is recommended that, if possible, test all suspected infections or exposures.

v. It is recommended that, if possible, following testing, contact local health department to initiate appropriate care and exposure notification.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, futurecoach said:

Are teams allowed to use a ball? I thought teams weren’t even allowed to use a football still in KY?

Anyone? Someone posted teams were allowed to use football since the end of June, is that true? I thought schools were still not allowed to use footballs until August 24th?

10. No gambling, bookmaking or point spread comments are allowed in any of the high school forums. Figures of speech that use gambling terms may not be used in any of the high school forums. All gambling comments are permitted in the non-high school forums as long as they do not involve any high school sports, students, or student-athletes.

19 hours ago, Tigerpride94 said:

I saw KY 7 and 3 day moving avg of new covid cases have both turned down. If keep this trend going, looks good for having football in September.

Not a good sign today after 3 really good days. It jumped from 323 yesterday back up more than doubled to 700 toady plus the positivity rate ticked up as well. I sure hope it stats down tomorrow.

3 hours ago, 16thBBall Fan said:

Not a good sign today after 3 really good days. It jumped from 323 yesterday back up more than doubled to 700 toady plus the positivity rate ticked up as well. I sure hope it stats down tomorrow.

Yeah, hopefully one day noise. I like the 7 day avg since smoothes the daily numbers.

• Like 2