Will there be high school football this fall?

Tkinslow

12 hours ago, Hellcats said:

That's not under the liability of schools.  Students do a lot of things at home they can't do at school.

I know this and that’s what it all comes down to fear of being caught up in a lawsuit because there’s nothing that happens on a football field that’s any more likely to spread this virus then what these kids are doing in their own time.

7 hours ago, Voice of Reason said:

I can see some schools rejecting the recommendation and going forward. I said this earlier. Kentucky is one of the safest states in the nation. Numbers are dropping on almost a daily basis. Most people are finally on board with mask wearing. I took the risk and went to Kroger. Every person I saw had a mask on. I think some schools are going to move forward with their plans. Hammer down on compliance with the rules. Kids want to go to school and get some normalcy back. If the numbers keep dropping like they are, then two weeks from now the KHSAA decision will be easy - play on.

I agree I don’t think the KHSAA will be the one who shuts it down. I think much like the Presidents in college football, it may be the Superintendents who do. Especially if schools do follow the recommendation of no in person class until end of September. I’m not sure if they would allow sports, if they aren’t allowing kids to take classes in person. 

Even though honestly it should make it even safer for sports, while not having in person classes. Since wouldn’t have to have the fear of an athlete spreading it possibly to other students or vice versa. So realistically it honestly makes it safer for sports to be able to move on, since there are no in person classes. However, I am not sure if the Superintendents would look at it like that. Hopefully I am wrong though. These players deserve a chance to play if their parents are willing to let them. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, LongTimeReader said:

I understand it isn't exactly the same, but is the Louisville professional soccer team still playing with fans in the stands? 

Not sure about that but more relevant there has been a lot of youth baseball played the past month or two. Tournaments being played with 1,000 people attending, no masks, sitting side by side like pre virus.

• Like 1

I agree, I see people everywhere. Went to the 127 yard sale. It was full as a tick everywhere I was at. I pass a ballpark full every evening about the equivalent of a football game when you put them all together. 

3 hours ago, Voice of Reason said:

Not sure about that but more relevant there has been a lot of youth baseball played the past month or two. Tournaments being played with 1,000 people attending, no masks, sitting side by side like pre virus.

This is what I don't understand. I understand this is a very difficult time to be a decision maker, but there is way too much gray area in what we as citizens can and can't do. Schools can't open until September 28th, but youth sporting events will still be taking place all over the state with some leagues traveling out of state to compete. At some point our decision makers need to say we can or we can't do things; because there seems to be a lot of mixed messages going on right now. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheDeuce said:

Yes. 

I thought so. For me it comes down to there needs to be more consistency in activities we can do and what we can't do. We can have a soccer game with fans, but we may not be able to have high school sports? Or we have AAU basketball or little league events, but can't have more structured activities at schools? It's just starting to get very hypocritical from the decision makers. 

Just now, LongTimeReader said:

I guess the virus won't be able to get into Churchill Downs for the Derby. As a state, they can get at the most 23, 000 people into Churchill Downs, but not let a few thousand individuals, at the most,  to play football on a Friday night. 

Who has said high school football can't happen?

On 8/10/2020 at 5:28 PM, rjs4470 said:

Technically, only a recommendation.  It’s not a mandate. But yes, this isn’t a good sign for fall sports.

Many school districts are taking it further than 9/28 unfortunately, so they're taking the recommendation and expanding on it.  For example, Bullitt County has pushed back in person until 11/4 at the earliest.  They will be NTI or Cloud Academy until that point.  Once 11/4 gets closer, they might push back to the 1st of the year.  There are probably many school districts in the same boat.

I think JCPS will do NTI until first of year and I think on 18th at JCPS meeting they will not play fall sports. The question will be..Does KHSAA allow play without largest school district? Catholic grade schools are doing in person school so wouldn’t surprise me if some transfers from public to Catholic. 18th and 20th going to be key dates for sure.

5 minutes ago, Tigerpride94 said:

I think JCPS will do NTI until first of year and I think on 18th at JCPS meeting they will not play fall sports. The question will be..Does KHSAA allow play without largest school district? Catholic grade schools are doing in person school so wouldn’t surprise me if some transfers from public to Catholic. 18th and 20th going to be key dates for sure.

Is JCPS currently conducting summer conditioning right now?