Will there be high school football this fall?

Tkinslow

Just now, LongTimeReader said:

Is JCPS currently conducting summer conditioning right now?

Yes. My nephew plays for Male and I know he’s been going to football workouts. I know JCPS getting a lot of emails from parents to play so I hope that sways them.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, 16thBBall Fan said:

Just saw that Williamstown district decided last night to ignore the recommendation and start their school year with in person instruction at the end of this month.

I thought we would see some of the small schools do this. Good for them. Hopefully it goes well and they show everyone else how to get it done.

• Like 2

The Diocese of Covington just announced they are starting in school instruction next week.  They have plans in place they have been working on all summer and hopefully they have success with the return to school. It is the first step to getting back into sports. 

• Like 5

17 minutes ago, Voice of Reason said:

We have two weeks to be totally focused on safety. We need the numbers to keep dropping up to the KHSAA meeting. If you want any chance at fall sports, put the mask on, social distance, stay home as much as possible, etc. Two weeks. No excuses.

We actually only have 8 days before the KHSAA meeting. Its a week from tomorrow Aug. 20 at 10:30am. We really need the numbers to drop every day for the next week and I also think a big thing they will be looking at is the positivity rate. Which is up close to 6% right now I think it really needs to drop below 5% to get the green light.

• Thanks 1

He was talking about college football but it also applies to high school football. Reece Davis went on a rant about playing spring football and then again playing just a few months later fall football. His take was if people care about safety, playing 2 seasons in one calendar year is irresponsible and he doesn't want to hear anyone talk about safety as a reason to move a season to the spring.

I agree. Someway, somehow a football season of some sort needs to happen this fall.

3 minutes ago, 16thBBall Fan said:

We actually only have 8 days before the KHSAA meeting. Its a week from tomorrow Aug. 20 at 10:30am. We really need the numbers to drop every day for the next week and I also think a big thing they will be looking at is the positivity rate. Which is up close to 6% right now I think it really needs to drop below 5% to get the green light.

Thanks for that info. I had August 24th in my mind but that is the date when full practices are scheduled to start.  I don't know if one week is enough time to get enough change in the numbers. I look for the KHSAA to knock a couple more weeks off the start of the season.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Voice of Reason said:

Thanks for that info. I had August 24th in my mind but that is the date when full practices are scheduled to start.  I don't know if one week is enough time to get enough change in the numbers. I look for the KHSAA to knock a couple more weeks off the start of the season.

I would be more open to having a 6 game or so season in the fall, rather than a 6 game season starting in February.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, rjal said:

The Diocese of Covington just announced they are starting in school instruction next week.  They have plans in place they have been working on all summer and hopefully they have success with the return to school. It is the first step to getting back into sports. 

I understand that includes the Diocese of Louisville, Lexington, and Owensboro and the Catholic schools are all going back to in-person instruction and all plan to play football on 9-11 unless the KHSAA stops them. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, theguru said:

I understand that includes the Diocese of Louisville, Lexington, and Owensboro and the Catholic schools are all going back to in-person instruction and all plan to play football on 9-11 unless the KHSAA stops them. 

What can the KHSAA do to stop them? Anything?

1 hour ago, rjal said:

But yet they cancelled all elementary sports for the fall a few weeks ago.