Will there be high school football this fall?

Tkinslow

11 minutes ago, theguru said:

I don't think you are an exception. 

There is no way to "be safe" and play contact sports. 

What's frustrating to me is so many people thinking we are going to stop mother nature with a do-rag.

Believe whatever you want about me.  I've been involved in the sport for far too long, to not want to have a season.  I've already lost a baseball season last spring, and I'm at that point where I probably don't have a ton of years left. And if we get the go ahead, you better believe I'll be out there doing what I've done most of life. And I've spent most of my free time preparing to have a season, and I'd hate for that to go waste and be all for nothing.  And I'd hate even more for the kids to miss out on something that obviously means a lot to them, and plays such an important role in their lives. I approach this from the standpoint of safety to the players, coaches and all those involved.  If we can do it safely, lets strap it up and play.  And yes, you can be safe and play contact sports.  Methods and equipment are constantly evolving in the arena of safety. It doesn't mitigate all risk, but you can minimize it. And if you don't belive that I want to have a season, if we get the go ahead, you're welcome to come on out and take in a practice or two to see if I'm an exception or not.

Just now, rjs4470 said:

Believe whatever you want about me.  I've been involved in the sport for far too long, to not want to have a season.  I've already lost a baseball season last spring, and I'm at that point where I probably don't have a ton of years left. And if we get the go ahead, you better believe I'll be out there doing what I've done most of life. And I've spent most of my free time preparing to have a season, and I'd hate for that to go waste and be all for nothing.  And I'd hate even more for the kids to miss out on something that obviously means a lot to them, and plays such an important role in their lives. I approach this from the standpoint of safety to the players, coaches and all those involved.  If we can do it safely, lets strap it up and play.  And if you don't belive that I want to have a season, if we get the go ahead, you're welcome to come on out and take in a practice or two to see if I'm an exception or not.

You are missing the point, if "be safe in the context of COVID" is a condition for you for having high school sports then you are not an exception to my original point.

I certainly believe you want to see sports start again but you can't have it both ways.  We either do our best and push forward or we shelter in place indefinitely. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Tigerpride94 said:

I’m interested in seeing what these multiple scenarios are.

37BCBF54-5B3F-4D75-8209-60CC50FCBE76.jpeg

I'm assuming the options are (1) play on, (2) delay fall again, (3) rearrange seasons [winter/fall/spring], or (4) completely cancel. If JCPS isn't happy with the choice made, then they'll make their own decision going forward.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, theguru said:

I don't think you are an exception. 

There is no way to "be safe" and play contact sports. 

What's frustrating to me is so many people thinking we are going to stop mother nature with a do-rag.

We know how to fix ACL’s and broken bones, we’re still learning about Covid-19 related heart inflammation.  It’s the fear of the unknown.

• Like 1

In my opinion which I’ve been roasted for expressing my opinion before but I’m going to do it anyway. I truly believe it should be left up to each individual player in high school, college and pro if you want to play then play and if you don’t then don’t you’re the one who could or could not get sick so why should it be up to anyone else what you do and I know what some are going to say it should be left up to whoever to decide for us but if that was really the case why wouldn’t we just shut the country down for two weeks and make everyone stay at home I don’t know if that would end it but it would surely bring it way down.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Tkinslow said:

In my opinion which I’ve been roasted for expressing my opinion before but I’m going to do it anyway. I truly believe it should be left up to each individual player in high school, college and pro if you want to play then play and if you don’t then don’t you’re the one who could or could not get sick so why should it be up to anyone else what you do and I know what some are going to say it should be left up to whoever to decide for us but if that was really the case why wouldn’t we just shut the country down for two weeks and make everyone stay at home I don’t know if that would end it but it would surely bring it way down.

I agree @Tkinslow everyone should have a choice.

It has taken an issue like this for many of us to realize we are not very free in America and we don't have near as many choices as we think we have. 

• Like 1

I think they need to cancel or play but stop the delaying.  I know my kid is not alone with the feeling they are just going to cancel the season one month at a time until there finally is no time left.  As far as Covid Sept will be no different than August and Oct no different from Sept.  Either decide to play or stop procrastinating and giving people false hope. 

I realize KHSAA wants to save football at all costs but to move it to spring would kill many small schools.  Does a kid play football or skip baseball, track whatever for a second straight year?  and what does it do to these teams?

• Like 6

The KHSAA has already decided that it would not move fall sports to spring.

They would have to backtrack on that decision to made it happen.  IF they were going to flip baseball and football, that decision should have been made months ago.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Mustang said:

They would have to backtrack on that decision to made it happen.  IF they were going to flip baseball and football, that decision should have been made months ago.

I've always disliked the idea of flip flopping baseball and football.  I think you're setting athletic programs, and in particular individual athletes, up to fail.  I can't imagine having a football season that ends in May, then turning right back around and beginning one in July.  The physical toll that would take on a kid would be very hard.  Then could you imagine if a kid had a major injury like a torn ACL in the spring, he would lose 2 seasons of football b/c there's no way he would be ready to go by fall.  Then there's the reverse of waiting 18 months in between baseball seasons. 

I'm of the opinion that we either play or we don't, but football stays in the fall if we do and if we don't, then the powers-that-be need to stop dragging their feet and pull the plug already.  I know there are other factors that people are considering that go into the final decision (also factors people aren't considering like will there be a shortage of officials, etc.,) however delaying and dragging things out aren't going to make the situation any better.  If we aren't going to play, make the decision so kids can start to get on travel teams that are forming.  Dragging it out, I think, limits them playing at all, whether KHSAA sanctioned or not.

7 hours ago, Mustang said:

They could decide to do what other states have done, which is to condense all 3 seasons, fall, winter, and spring into a time frame from December to late June. You wouldn’t flip flop anything.  I’m not sure I’m a fan of that either, but again it’s better than nothing.  I think the dear with starting anything right now is schools having outbreaks and being forced to shut down which would have a big domino effect on a season. At least by starting school first and delaying athletics, it gives everyone time to see how things go once people start getting back together in a school setting. 

Whatever is going to happen needs to be decided on Thursday.  It’s decision time and they can’t keep kicking the can down the road.

11 minutes ago, rjs4470 said:

They could decide to do what other states have done, which is to condense all 3 seasons, fall, winter, and spring into a time frame from December to late June. You wouldn’t flip flop anything.

Thank you. I felt like I was the only one understanding this. Every time I’ve mentioned what Virginia and other states have done (either on here or twitter) with regards to condensing seasons the responses are always about flipping seasons and how that can’t happen, blah blah blah. It’s like no one has actually read what other states are doing.

14 hours ago, theguru said:

It has taken an issue like this for many of us to realize we are not very free in America and we don't have near as many choices as we think we have. 

It has taken an issue like this for many of us to realize just how inconsiderate, selfish, and entitled a lot of Americans are. I’ve said it before, COVID response has been drawn along cultural lines. 

Saying you don’t have freedom because you’re asked to wear a mask in Wal-Mart is as entitled a take as you’ll ever read online. 

• Like 1