Will there be high school football this fall?

Tkinslow

23 minutes ago, ChiefSmoke said:

Taking the survey was Clay Clevenger's idea (Danville HS head coach). Coach Marc Clark of McCracken County built the survey and put together the results.

This should be a game changer when the Board of Control  meets Thursday. Unless...you just don’t care about facts. 

• Like 4

43 minutes ago, Brddog said:

This should be a game changer when the Board of Control  meets Thursday. Unless...you just don’t care about facts. 

I am in lockstep with you.

Additionally, I think sports teams are excellent test cases if we are genuinely trying to get back to normal. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ChiefSmoke said:

Taking the survey was Clay Clevenger's idea (Danville HS head coach). Coach Marc Clark of McCracken County built the survey and put together the results.

As you can see in posts in this thread, I am as cautious and safety focused as anyone. I have been a huge mask wearing advocate since early on. I have been in favor of most restrictions and have argued often we weren't strict enough.

That being said, anyone who looks at all the numbers and especially these numbers has to be in favor of moving ahead with the current plan. It will be a travesty if the KHSAA doesn't stick to their plan. Time to play ball!!

• Like 5

17 minutes ago, Voice of Reason said:

As you can see in posts in this thread, I am as cautious and safety focused as anyone. I have been a huge mask wearing advocate since early on. I have been in favor of most restrictions and have argued often we weren't strict enough.

That being said, anyone who looks at all the numbers and especially these numbers has to be in favor of moving ahead with the current plan. It will be a travesty if the KHSAA doesn't stick to their plan. Time to play ball!!

Right on VoR!

• Like 3

23 hours ago, John Anthony said:

We know how to fix ACL’s and broken bones, we’re still learning about Covid-19 related heart inflammation.  It’s the fear of the unknown.

That is the thing the possible heart inflammation complication from COVID-19 is not an unknown. The heart complication it can cause is called Myocarditis. Myocarditis has always been around, a person can develop myocarditis from viral and bacteria infections. Myocarditis can be formed from things as simple as the common cold, or strep throat. All things that mostly everyone has had or dealt with at some point. So people all the time are at risk to develop it. Myocarditis is usually found in young athletes and is the common reason for the sudden deaths that we sometimes happen in previously young healthy athletes. 

So the possibility of developing myocarditis has always been there. It honestly makes no sense to why now, people are more worried about it. When it is something that has always been a possibility. While rare, it is something that people develop and usually never show symptoms of unless tested. It can be detected by having an EKG and or blood test. If detected, you usually need to stay away from strenuous activity for 3 to 6 months and you can fully recover from it. 

Which is why for years I have wanted it to be a new requirement for sport physicals to also do an EKG. EKG takes less than 5 minutes to do too, so it doesn’t add much time to a normal sport physical. 

Sports should not stop for fear of that, because developing that has always been a possibility long before COVID-19 came around. However, a simple change in how we do sport physicals, is something that could help prevent that rare but tragic incidents from happening. 

The point is it’s not an unknown, and it has never stopped sports from being played before. So it shouldn’t stop sports now. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, futurecoach said:

That is the thing the possible heart inflammation complication from COVID-19 is not an unknown. The heart complication it can cause is called Myocarditis. Myocarditis has always been around, a person can develop myocarditis from viral and bacteria infections. Myocarditis can be formed from things as simple as the common cold, or strep throat. All things that mostly everyone has had or dealt with at some point. So people all the time are at risk to develop it. Myocarditis is usually found in young athletes and is the common reason for the sudden deaths that we sometimes happen in previously young healthy athletes. 

So the possibility of developing myocarditis has always been there. It honestly makes no sense to why now, people are more worried about it. When it is something that has always been a possibility. While rare, it is something that people develop and usually never show symptoms of unless tested. It can be detected by having an EKG and or blood test. If detected, you usually need to stay away from strenuous activity for 3 to 6 months and you can fully recover from it. 

Which is why for years I have wanted it to be a new requirement for sport physicals to also do an EKG. EKG takes less than 5 minutes to do too, so it doesn’t add much time to a normal sport physical. 

Sports should not stop for fear of that, because developing that has always been a possibility long before COVID-19 came around. However, a simple change in how we do sport physicals, is something that could help prevent that rare but tragic incidents from happening. 

The point is it’s not an unknown, and it has never stopped sports from being played before. So it shouldn’t stop sports now. 

Thanks for all that fc.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, futurecoach said:

Who said it was an unknown?  It’s always been a risk, it kills roughly 75 kids a year.

Dean Winslow, an infectious-disease doctor at Stanford University, said research has shown as many as 20 percent of people who recover from covid-19 show cardiac abnormalities.

Simply put, everyone thinks Covid-19 is only a lung disease.  When it reality, it’s a multi system disease.

Back to your point, well JA, myocarditis was already here before Covid.  True, and giving all athletes EKG’s with physicals would be ideal.  The NFL is actually doing this to any player who tested positive for Covid.  I don’t think HS, or colleges, will do this. That said, to ignore the fact this new disease is here and spreads like crazy, and is already being linked to spikes in myocarditis is negligent.  Especially in a game like full contact football where distancing is antithetical.  

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Tigerpride94 said:

Watching this JCPS meeting, I don’t get the vibe they are going to play if season not pushed back. They are going to wait until KHSAA decides because they are looking at multiple models. 

Your wording is weird here. Are you saying if September 11 remains the start date JCPS isn't playing?

6 minutes ago, gchs_uk9 said:

Your wording is weird here. Are you saying if September 11 remains the start date JCPS isn't playing?

Correct. Seems they prefer spring model like Virginia doing, but waiting for KHSAA decision before making any decision.

• Like 1