Will there be high school football this fall?

Tkinslow

3 minutes ago, John Anthony said:

The University of Notre Dame suspended in-person classes on Tuesday, eight days after the school’s fall semester began and after 146 students and a staff member tested positive for the coronavirus, officials said.

Could this effect the KHSAA decision makers?

In my opinion it shouldn’t. Probably turns out the fact we are not having live classes at the start of football helps the sport get going.  College football was in pretty good shape until all the kids came back on campus. 

5 minutes ago, Brddog said:

In my opinion it shouldn’t. Probably turns out the fact we are not having live classes at the start of football helps the sport get going.  College football was in pretty good shape until all the kids came back on campus. 

If they want sports to work, they should go to an online school model for all of 2020-2021.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Tigerpride94 said:

Jason Frakes of Courier Journal tweeted a potential model that could be considered by KHSAA:

Oct. 2: 6-week regular season opens; must schedule all district games first, then non-district games

Nov. 13: Playoffs start

Dec. 11-13: State finals

Oh please, I wish they would just leave the schedule as is.  I feel sorry for the athletic directors and head coaches trying to juggle all of this.  As a statistician, I have made at least 4 different changes already to my team's schedule on 3 different websites.  Is the virus going to be any better or worse on Oct 2 as it is on Sept 11?  Let's play.

• Like 6

13 hours ago, Tigerpride94 said:

Watching this JCPS meeting, I don’t get the vibe they are going to play if season not pushed back. They are going to wait until KHSAA decides because they are looking at multiple models. 

Couple of thoughts, if the KHSAA was going to push activities back like VA I would thinkg that plan would have already been in place. If JCPS does decide not play in the Fall, does that hurt their relation =ship with other schools in the county or bording counties? Last thing, if it's ok to bring student athletes on campus now during a pandemic, what's the difference bringing them on campus when school starts online? I wouldn't be shocked if JCPS does decide to cancel Fall sports, but they better be ready for a lot of backlash heading their way if they potentially make that decision. 

• Like 1

I don't believe either JCPS or KHSAA is going to cancel or move fall sports, but I've been wrong many times before. KHSAA was pretty gung ho about playing football in the fall at their last meeting, and there hasn't been any big new development that would have changed their stance in the past couple weeks, to my knowledge. 

43 minutes ago, TheDeuce said:

I don't believe either JCPS or KHSAA is going to cancel or move fall sports, but I've been wrong many times before. KHSAA was pretty gung ho about playing football in the fall at their last meeting, and there hasn't been any big new development that would have changed their stance in the past couple weeks, to my knowledge. 

From meeting I watched last night, I have no doubt JCPS will not play if season not pushed back to later. KHSAA may go ahead with current plan but I believe they may push season back to October 1st. Hopefully they do like Indiana and Ohio and move forward with playing.

6 minutes ago, Tigerpride94 said:

From meeting I watched last night, I have no doubt JCPS will not play if season not pushed back to later. KHSAA may go ahead with current plan but I believe they may push season back to October 1st. Hopefully they do like Indiana and Ohio and move forward with playing.

I hope they don't push back any farther. I'd assume if they push it back farther they will eventually just cancel and no one needs that. 

Just now, TheDeuce said:

I hope they don't push back any farther. I'd assume if they push it back farther they will eventually just cancel and no one needs that. 

Additionally if the KHSAA keeps pushing football back it is also time to start pushing basketball back because if you can't play football you can't play basketball. 

• Like 2

If JCPS chooses not to play or not to start their season in September with the rest of the state, that doesn't mean they have to cancel their season. Rumblings are they could still begin their season in October, play their district games and participate in the post season in Kentucky. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, FlyPattern said:

If JCPS chooses not to play or not to start their season in September with the rest of the state, that doesn't mean they have to cancel their season. Rumblings are they could still begin their season in October, play their district games and participate in the post season in Kentucky. 

I could see them doing that. 

Kentucky I believe has the least amount of cases compared with state’s bordering it besides West Virginia. There have been 0 cases traced back to football workouts. If you take football out of the equation, and this maybe shocking news, but kids will still hang out with each other and do kid things. Those things will be more dangerous to the spread than any football practice or game. I always try to see both sides of the issue but for the life of me I can’t see any reason to postpone football anymore than it already is when looking at it logically. 

The logistics of a spring move for schools would be a mess. I don’t see how that’s feasible. Kids have done what they’ve been asked. There haven’t been any traced back to those workouts. Let’s play.

• Like 3

As others have noted, if schools stayed online that could actually provide a more effective bubble for athletes to play.  I don't really see a resumption of in-person classes anytime soon as I think that Sept. 28 date is getting walked forward like it did in the spring.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, DanvilleFan said:

As others have noted, if schools stayed online that could actually provide a more effective bubble for athletes to play.  I don't really see a resumption of in-person classes anytime soon as I think that Sept. 28 date is getting walked forward like it did in the spring.

Yup that’s what I said, less exposure is the safest way.  The problem there is, we’re telling most kids to stay home, but telling  athletes to risk exposure.  People will say its for the almighty dollar and they aren’t entirely wrong.

• Like 1