Will there be high school football this fall?

Tkinslow

1 minute ago, theguru said:

Wouldn't you agree that may be one of the most important parts of any plan to return to school/sports?

Yes, but I think that may be a district by district issue rather than a KHSAA issue. Definitely a dynamic subject. 

3 minutes ago, TheDeuce said:

Yes, but I think that may be a district by district issue rather than a KHSAA issue. Definitely a dynamic subject. 

If it is going to be a 14 day shutdown of everything I believe we are wasting our time attempting to go back to school/sports. 

To me it is an elephant in the room everyone is ignoring. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, theguru said:

I may have missed this so please excuse me if it has been addressed but what is the model/standard response schools are supposed to follow if anyone tests positive for the Rona?

Will it be a 14 day shutdown of the entire school?  Something else?

I think how an outbreak is handled would be a decision made by the school district.  Just as a school district could still opt to not play sports this fall.

I would agree though, this is could be the fly in the ointment. Some, if not many schools are going to have an outbreak, weather on the football team or not.  How they decide to handle that could have domino effects on scheduling and the season.  And think about if something happens come playoff time.

41 minutes ago, rjs4470 said:

I think how an outbreak is handled would be a decision made by the school district.  Just as a school district could still opt to not play sports this fall.

I would agree though, this is could be the fly in the ointment. Some, if not many schools are going to have an outbreak, weather on the football team or not.  How they decide to handle that could have domino effects on scheduling and the season.  And think about if something happens come playoff time.

Right, we have multiple "ticking time bombs" and no one is addressing it.

I'm still trying to figure out how a school district can opt to not be in the building for safety concerns but can sanction practice or play. Seems contradictory to me as a retired teacher/coach. As a long time football official (now retired) I wonder about safety issues? Masks, gloves, water, towels, sideline crews, medical personnel? Who enforces the 60 player limit and chases all the "sidelines"? AD? Principal? Math teacher? WOW!!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, 9068 said:

I'm still trying to figure out how a school district can opt to not be in the building for safety concerns but can sanction practice or play. Seems contradictory to me as a retired teacher/coach. As a long time football official (now retired) I wonder about safety issues? Masks, gloves, water, towels, sideline crews, medical personnel? Who enforces the 60 player limit and chases all the "sidelines"? AD? Principal? Math teacher? WOW!!

I still think you’ll see some districts opt out of playing.  The KHSAA decision today sets up the possibility of having a season.  It in no way guarantees all teams will be playing football or other fall sports.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, 9068 said:

Each question seems to engender ten more. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, theguru said:

What I heard in the meeting, because it was asked if a game was canceled how would that be handled as far as seeding. They said that was addressed in July meeting with RPI. It would count as a win and loss for both teams. So they expect a team may miss games because of covid.

15 hours ago, theguru said:

You act as if someone is purposely avoiding it. There have been other more important discussions to have first, like deciding whether we were playing at all. Since that has been decided, discussions can move in other directions. 

27 minutes ago, TheDeuce said:

You act as if someone is purposely avoiding it. There have been other more important discussions to have first, like deciding whether we were playing at all. Since that has been decided, discussions can move in other directions. 

And I still think there will be some that opt not to play based on what the situation is locally. And because everyone's situation is different, like we said before, if there are cases on a team, each district will probably have their own response that best suits them. The KHSAA has consistently talked about many of these points being local decisions.

As I said before...yesterday's decision puts us on the road to have a season.  It doesn't guarantee that everyone will have a season.

15 hours ago, mcpapa said:

Each question seems to engender ten more. 

This 100%. 

(which some of us have been screaming on here since the beginning of this thread)

Anybody who is participating in trying to open a school at this time can't get their mind wrapped around fall sports.  

• Like 1

On 7/29/2020 at 10:01 AM, Hellcats said:

This 100%. 

(which some of us have been screaming on here since the beginning of this thread)

Anybody who is participating in trying to open a school at this time can't get their mind wrapped around fall sports.  

Headline in the sports section of today’s Maysville paper.  One COVID case on football team, practice suspended.   That didn’t take long. 

If everyone keeps treating a positive result in a kid as a death warrant we will never play sports again, anywhere anytime. Isolate a known positive if you have to and then react and monitor for symptoms in the others. If we don't start reacting and treating this like we do the seasonal flu (for kids) football is over. 2 years ago we had the flu ravage through my sons team taking out 7-8 kids for a week, the team played through it and no one batted an eye.

• Like 6

16 hours ago, mcpapa said:

Headline in the sports section of today’s Maysville paper.  One COVID case on football team, practice suspended.   That didn’t take long  

Has Mason Co been doing activities since early/mid June? Teams have been able to use a ball since near the end of June. My point is it’s not like they just starting football activities and a Covid case popped up. If they have been operating like a lot of the state they’ve been doing activities for almost two months. I have no idea what the article says but with one player testing positive it sounds like they are shutting stuff down just to be safe. The player could of went on a trip and come back. Then tested positive and since he was at practice they shut it down even though no other player had contracted it.