Will there be high school football this fall?

Tkinslow

From a Kentucky High School Football Coach today on Facebook, I think the point is well made:

So teenagers can't go to school, play sports and hang out with a bunch of kids their age who are very low risk, but that same teenager can work for home depot and be around 100s or 1000s of customers whose average age is 50 (fact). Maybe teenagers should not be allowed to work and families should think twice about visits to grandma's house.... BUT they go to school.

• Like 5

I’ve been watching some of the Florida High School Athletic Association emergency meeting and what a circus. Started at 5 pm EST and they just know passed a motion to keep the current fall calendar, which starts July 27th. Establish a date with intent to declare for state series, and if a school opts out of state series allow schools to schedule more regular season games. Just unbelievable and exhausting to watch 30 minutes of it. If they actually make a decision tonight I’ll be shocked. 

11 hours ago, theguru said:

From a Kentucky High School Football Coach today on Facebook, I think the point is well made:

So teenagers can't go to school, play sports and hang out with a bunch of kids their age who are very low risk, but that same teenager can work for home depot and be around 100s or 1000s of customers whose average age is 50 (fact). Maybe teenagers should not be allowed to work and families should think twice about visits to grandma's house.... BUT they go to school.

In my district, about 30% of our kids live with grandma.  

Working in a big-box store is a false equivalency to school classrooms and school buildings for that matter.  Big-Box stores have the space for social distancing and can enforce strict mask policies for employees and adult shoppers.  Not really possible in school with kids, and those who believe so have been out of school too long.    

• Like 2

11 hours ago, LongTimeReader said:

I stand corrected. FL can start practice on July 27th, but each school district will have the final say. 

Define "practice". I know East Lake has been having at least tryout and conditioning sessions since mid to late June. 

According to the CDC's own numbers, the 10yr average for the number of seasonal flu deaths in the state of Kentucky is 707 deaths per year.  As is stands today, we have 671 COVID deaths.  And, we know that the CDC is counting not only people that die FROM COVID but also people that die WITH COVID, i.e. comorbidities.  

This is obviously not about the virus at this point. 

18 minutes ago, NKYPrepSportsFan said:

According to the CDC's own numbers, the 10yr average for the number of seasonal flu deaths in the state of Kentucky is 707 deaths per year.  As is stands today, we have 671 COVID deaths.  And, we know that the CDC is counting not only people that die FROM COVID but also people that die WITH COVID, i.e. comorbidities.  

Flu = 707 deaths per year. 

We are 4 months from Kentucky's first reported Covid death and we are at 694 deaths. That will be a substantial difference eight months from now. 

Flu deaths are classified the same way. If you die from pneumonia but have the flu, it's classified as a "flu related" death. It's the same with Covid. 

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, NKYPrepSportsFan said:

You're only looking at the number of deaths because of COVID-19, which is understandable because it seems to be the most publicized statistic in the press, but trying to look at COVID-19 from a more full-perspective point of view (and Borrowing from Franklin Veaux, who did the math already):

For every one person who dies:

19 more require hospitalization.
18 of those will have permanent heart damage for the rest of their lives.
10 will have permanent lung damage.
3 will have strokes.
2 will have neurological damage that leads to chronic weakness and loss of coordination.
2 will have neurological damage that leads to loss of cognitive function.

So on a United States national level, “but it’s only 1% fatal” becomes:

3,282,000 people dead.
62,358,000 hospitalized.
59,076,000 people with permanent heart damage.
32,820,000 people with permanent lung damage.
9,846,000 people with strokes.
6,564,000 people with muscle weakness.
6,564,000 people with loss of cognitive function.

And even if you leave things in Kentucky on the statewide level at the current count of 671 COVID-19 deaths (not even half a year into the COVID pandemic), that becomes:

671 people dead.
12,749 hospitalized.
12,078 people with permanent heart damage.
6,710 people with permanent lung damage.
2,013 people with strokes.
1,342 people with muscle weakness.
1,342 people with loss of cognitive function.

• Thanks 2

31 minutes ago, NKYPrepSportsFan said:

So we are 40 COVID deaths short of our yearly flu deaths in about a third of the time...

39 minutes ago, NKYPrepSportsFan said:

I’m sure they do the same thing for the flu as far as counting people who die with the flu. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Colonels_Wear_Blue said:

You're only looking at the number of deaths because of COVID-19, which is understandable because it seems to be the most publicized statistic in the press, but trying to look at COVID-19 from a more full-perspective point of view (and Borrowing from Franklin Veaux, who did the math already):

For every one person who dies:

19 more require hospitalization.
18 of those will have permanent heart damage for the rest of their lives.
10 will have permanent lung damage.
3 will have strokes.
2 will have neurological damage that leads to chronic weakness and loss of coordination.
2 will have neurological damage that leads to loss of cognitive function.

So on a United States national level, “but it’s only 1% fatal” becomes:

3,282,000 people dead.
62,358,000 hospitalized.
59,076,000 people with permanent heart damage.
32,820,000 people with permanent lung damage.
9,846,000 people with strokes.
6,564,000 people with muscle weakness.
6,564,000 people with loss of cognitive function.

And even if you leave things in Kentucky on the statewide level at the current count of 671 COVID-19 deaths (not even half a year into the COVID pandemic), that becomes:

671 people dead.
12,749 hospitalized.
12,078 people with permanent heart damage.
6,710 people with permanent lung damage.
2,013 people with strokes.
1,342 people with muscle weakness.
1,342 people with loss of cognitive function.

So your saying 95% of the people who are admitted to the hospital have permanent heart damage? Were is this info coming from? Im sure the media would be reporting this like crazy if true.

1 hour ago, Hellcats said:

In my district, about 30% of our kids live with grandma.  

Working in a big-box store is a false equivalency to school classrooms and school buildings for that matter.  Big-Box stores have the space for social distancing and can enforce strict mask policies for employees and adult shoppers.  Not really possible in school with kids, and those who believe so have been out of school too long.    

A false equivalency!?  LOL

Does that include the cashiers at Big-Box stores?  Does it include the cashiers and baggers at grocery stores?  Does that include the waiters, hostesses, and bus boys at restaurants?  Does that include every job every child does for a small business or large corporation?

Hey kids!  The adults say you can work to enrich them but you can't go to school!

On tangent here, at my local Kroger I would say roughly a third of the employees consistently do not wear their mask correctly.  

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, GrantNKY said:

I’m sure they do the same thing for the flu as far as counting people who die with the flu. 

You are correct. Like most diseases, you die as a result of complications associated with the disease which lead to other complications. It's why you hear expressions like "AIDS related pneumonia." I will be interested to see if people begin discrediting flu or other numbers here forward.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Skeeterback said:

So your saying 95% of the people who are admitted to the hospital have permanent heart damage? Were is this info coming from? I'm sure the media would be reporting this like crazy if true.

That number is based on a bunch of different studies, and is an extrapolation. But the latest study (published July 12th) on long-term effects of COVID-19 says that some 65% of all patients hospitalized with Coronavirus will suffer from some degree of heart damage.

I realize this study brief requires a subscription to read (I was able to read it three or four days ago via my wife's professional account). But yeah, there are lots of longterm medical details that seem to be lost in the wash when it comes to the push to open things back up.

Coronavirus associated with heart damage, study finds

2 hours ago, bernies said:

Flu = 707 deaths per year. 

We are 4 months from Kentucky's first reported Covid death and we are at 694 deaths. That will be a substantial difference eight months from now. 

Flu deaths are classified the same way. If you die from pneumonia but have the flu, it's classified as a "flu related" death. It's the same with Covid. 

When the CDC counts the common cold as a positive COVID case, the numbers are and will continue to be skewed.  Here is the language copied directly from the CDC website:

"A positive test result shows you may have antibodies from an infection with the virus that causes COVID-19. However, there is a chance a positive result means that you have antibodies from an infection with a virus from the same family of viruses (called coronaviruses), such as the one that causes the common cold."

So, if you've had the common cold in the last 17 years, you could test positive for COVID and be included in the numbers.