W.E.B. Dubois officially added to the 26th District

Dubois will now officially be a playing member in KHSAA events next season and will join the 26th district. Presently the 26th district features two seventh region powers St. Xavier and Male along with Louisville Collegiate and Brown on the boys side. 

The 26th has featured St. Xavier and Male since 2012 and 100% of the time it has been those two qualify for the 7th regional tournament. In 2024-2025 I am not sure that will change but before long Dubois will upset one of them and make the regional tournament. Dubois went 17-12 last season featuring zero seniors and two juniors. The top two players for the Lions were freshman in Ja'Rye Brown and Ferlandas Wright. 

• Like 1

Someone give a few details about this school. Is it a new public school? Is it a private? What’s the high school enrollment? Basically I’m just wondering. I had never heard of the school before seeing this thread. 

14 hours ago, The Professor said:

Someone give a few details about this school. Is it a new public school? Is it a private? What’s the high school enrollment? Basically I’m just wondering. I had never heard of the school before seeing this thread. 

It has been open for a couple years. It is a public high school in the JCPS system, but it is boys only (there is an equivalent girls school called Grace James). I believe they started with only freshmen and now have sophomores and juniors. Next year will be the first with seniors, the same kids that came in as freshmen. They played football last season in Class 2A in a district with LCA, Fort Knox, Shawnee, and Washington County, although I don't believe they were eligible for postseason play. I have no idea how big the school will get but I do know that JCPS is planning to build a new school building for the school (I think they are in an old middle school at this point).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

To add to that, their enrollment for 23-24 is listed at 242.  They were not eligible for the post-season this year, but went 17-12. Their two leading (at 19.9 and 15.3 ppg) were both freshmen and their third leading scorer (at 14.4 ppg) was a sophomore.  I saw them play a couple times and left thinking they likely will be very good in a couple years.

JCPS is building a new building for the school (off Poplar Level Road in the Newburgh area) but I don't think it is going to be ready until the 26-27 school year.  At this point, they really do not have a place to play home games, although I think they played at least one game this past season at the Old Male Gym and called it a home game.

While they have been placed in the 26th district for now, I think there is a pretty good chance it may get moved if there is a realignment of the Sixth and Seventh Regions, which I understand is likely to happen.

• Like 1