Everything posted by The Professor
-
Who are the top 10 teams in the state of KY?
Clark County (GRC) is going to be very good again. I wouldn't be surprised if they claim another state championship this season.
-
Best boys basketball teams and longest running rivalries
I agree with you on the Dragons and Purples having an intense rivalry. When I was in high school and college back in the ‘70’s the big team of the region seemed to be Warren East. They haven’t made much noise in basketball in recent years but they were darn good back then and if memory serves me correctly they turned out a few kids that went on to star for the WKU Hilltoppers.
-
Best boys basketball teams and longest running rivalries
I think Male vs Manual is one of the oldest and intense rivalries in the state.
-
10th Region Off-Season Discussion (2026-2027)
I hear this is becoming increasingly common with high school athletes in the state. The only time they are around the school is for practice of the sport they play. And it’s legal. That would have sure been nice back in the ‘60’s when I was in school. Kids in the hills of eastern Kentucky in many areas got up well before daylight and waited for busses in frigid weather on many days. It would have been sweet to have been able to lay under the warm covers and then later do school work on line, lol.
-
16th Region Off-Season Discussion (2026-2027)
Everyone is the 14th region thought when MC Napier and Dilce Combs consolidated in the late 1990s that Perry with around 1200-1300 students (at that time) would dominate but Hazard with only 300 students was still in the thick of the regional rankings every year and have won several championships since PCC was established.
-
16th Region Off-Season Discussion (2026-2027)
I heard the new Carter County high school will have the largest enrollment in the 16th region by a sizable amount. And I think the new mascot choice is Coyotes.
-
14th Region Off-Season Discussion (2026-2027)
I don’t see a pathway for Powell to be rated at the top of the region in 2026-27 season. They lose four starters from this year’s regional runner-up team. The only player back is Morguson. The team will basically be this season’s JV team and Morguson.
-
KHSAA Approves 35-second Shot Clock for 2027-28 season
I talked to our AD at Owsley County and he said they were set up and ready with new scoreboards and shot clocks on the backboards. I didn’t ask him what the cost was. Owsley’s biggest obstacle when the shot clock goes into effect will be having qualified people to operate it for all games. They have a guy who has done the scoreboard for the past 10 years so I assume he will take care of that again next season. But as a former AD it was difficult to find people to keep the scoreboard and scorebooks on a consistent basis and now that a shot clock will be used that will add to the scrambling to find personnel. Owsley is small, with a high school enrollment of 173 and a K-12 enrollment of 600. The entire county population is only 4100. So it’s a bit tougher to recruit workers for us than for large school districts.
-
George Rogers Clark 58 St. Xavier 50 (OT) (2026 UK Healthcare KHSAA Sweet 16® Championship)
How many teams have won the state championship without winning their District Tournament?
-
George Rogers Clark 58 St. Xavier 50 (OT) (2026 UK Healthcare KHSAA Sweet 16® Championship)
I have no dog in this fight but imo St X is getting away with some fouling. I think the player called Chief has had a couple of open floor steals that looked like reach around/ hacking fouls to me and Akins of GRC was clobbered on a layup, just to mention a few.
-
George Rogers Clark 58 St. Xavier 50 (OT) (2026 UK Healthcare KHSAA Sweet 16® Championship)
Back in the ‘80s and ‘90s Rupp had big crowds for about every session. I remember in the early 1980s I couldn’t find a seat in the lower section and had to sit far back in the upper arena. I’ve watched this tournament on NFHS because I wasn’t able to go this year and I’ve noticed there’s very small attendance. I suppose streaming has something to do with it but the Rupp Arena experience and numbers aren’t what they once were.
-
Marshall County 67 Boyd County 63 (KHSAA Sweet 16®)
You won’t get too much farther apart in Kentucky than these two schools. 370 miles.
-
North Laurel 52 Warren Central 38 (KHSAA Sweet 16®)
North Laurel has too much size for Warren Central. Two 6’7 guys is a load to defend and keep off the boards. And in Davidson’s case he can handle the ball like a guard.
-
Saint Xavier 75 Covington Catholic 61 (KHSAA Sweet 16®)
Particularly when the player does a chin-up after the flush. That is suppose to be a T. Now, it is permissible if the player is moving forward and it is deemed he was holding on to keep from taking a bad fall and getting injured. But the chin-up is never allowed, or not supposed to be per the rule book.
-
Saint Xavier 75 Covington Catholic 61 (KHSAA Sweet 16®)
It’s hard to believe that St X lost 7 games this season. I assume most of them were out of state.
-
George Rogers Clark 48 Assumption 43 (2026 Clark's Pump-N-Shop Girls' Sweet 16® Championship)
The eighth grader Strodes has a bright future! So talented. And GRC’s other eighth grader who saw a lot of minutes, Edmonson, is very talented at such a young age as well.
-
Assumption 32 Frederick Douglass 30 (2026 Clark's Pump-N-Shop Girls' Basketball Sweet 16®)
Douglass had this game in good shape with a 30-24 lead with just over 3:00 to play in the game but couldn’t protect the ball and gave up too many steals. And Assumption hit two big treys in the last minute to get them back in the game.
-
Saint Xavier 75 Covington Catholic 61 (KHSAA Sweet 16®)
What’s your definition of “roll(ing)” in a basketball game? Mine is much more than a 2-5 point victory. ?
-
Assumption 72 Calloway County 35 (2026 Clark's Pump-N-Shop Girls' Basketball Sweet 16®)
Assumption looks like a college team. They have some of the quickest guards I’ve seen in high school in a while. Great defensive team as well.
-
CJ's Jason Frakes Sweet 16 seeding proposal
And if you think the crowd numbers are low now, the first round games Wednesday and Thursday in a seeded tournament would be even lower. It would basically be the fans from the schools playing and not much more.
-
Open Job: Christian County
Their new school will be the top job in the state imo. Combining Hoptown and Christian County!! All I can say is WOW! However, the right coach needs to be hired. I’ve seen a lot of talented teams not reach their potential due to poor coaching and mismanagement.
-
Lyon County 64 Henderson County 61 (2OT) (2nd Region Championship)
Every region in the state has been decided but this one. We’ll know soon.
-
St. Xavier 63 Ballard 49 (7th Region Championship)
For sure!
-
Henderson County 56 Hopkins Central 55 (2nd Region Semifinals)
I kind of thought Henderson County would win this one easily but when it’s postseason tournament time anything can happen.
-
St. Xavier 63 Ballard 49 (7th Region Championship)
St X and Covington Catholic in the first round is worthy of a championship game!