Coronavirus

ChickenWyngz

The problem is always going to be what one positive test does to the system. Until we have a way to avoid everyone facing a minimum 14 day quarantine with one exposure, we are at the mercy of this thing. Open the pools? Fine until there is one positive test. Open fall camp for football? One positive test and we are back to ground zero. Imagine spending 5 minutes at a place that has been opened and now you can't leave the house for two weeks at best. Opening things back up is going to be at the mercy of even one positive test at every turn.

Location, location, location.

Using CWB's numbers:

April 13

KY - 2048 cases (4.33% increase); 104 deaths (5.08% mortality rate)

Kentucky seems to be the world's safe place.

Kentucky has 120 counties. Broken down by county this would equate to 17 cases per county, with less than one fatality per county over a 30 (or more) day period, of which 70/80% are victims 80 years old with (many severe) underlying conditions.

Proponents of the present extreme measures will say that it is because of our due diligence in taking these precautionary steps that our numbers are low.

Others might feel that it is because of our location that our general population who didn't have it to start with, still doesn't have it for the most part, and because of that are not spreading it around to each other.

Per the Herald-Leader, Fayette County today had only ONE new case (Monday) and NO deaths.

Hopefully that becomes more the trend.

Were I King of the Commonwealth, I would begin permitting all businesses (not schools/churches) to begin re-opening next Monday, the 20th, or maybe the 27th on a voluntary basis continuing safe-spacing where possible, and keeping capacities at places like restaurants to under 50% of the fire code occupancy figure.

It would all be voluntary and no one would make anyone either open or attend/patronize. At first business would be sparce, but then I believe it would trend back to some form of normalcy, when folks realized that catching Covid-19 wasn't the automatic result of venturing our of your home and into your community.

If you need help finding it, the DISLIKE button is the red one directly below to the right.

Hillsborough County, FL enforcing a 9 PM to 5 AM curfew. I just got home under the wire.

I am curious to know the rationale behind this curfew. Since restaurants and bars are closed, the only people out would be those who work other jobs. 9pm - 5am seems like the least dangerous time to be out. I know some work places who are extending their hours to accommodate social distancing and offer more flexible hours to employees who are at risk or have kids at home. Doesn’t that kind of curtail that option?

I am curious to know the rationale behind this curfew. Since restaurants and bars are closed, the only people out would be those who work other jobs. 9pm - 5am seems like the least dangerous time to be out. I know some work places who are extending their hours to accommodate social distancing and offer more flexible hours to employees who are at risk or have kids at home. Doesn’t that kind of curtail that option?

Yeah I'd file this under the "want to look like we're doing something, but not really doing something" category.

The problem is always going to be what one positive test does to the system. Until we have a way to avoid everyone facing a minimum 14 day quarantine with one exposure, we are at the mercy of this thing. Open the pools? Fine until there is one positive test. Open fall camp for football? One positive test and we are back to ground zero. Imagine spending 5 minutes at a place that has been opened and now you can't leave the house for two weeks at best. Opening things back up is going to be at the mercy of even one positive test at every turn.
See, my concern is once there is a relaxation of the rules and things are reopened, there is no going back. People would rebel against another ordered quarantine even if numbers start heading back for the worse. Some factions would adhere, others would not.

My concern is once there is a relaxation of the rules and things are reopened, there is no going back. People would rebel against another ordered quarantine if numbers started heading back for the worse.

Yep. There is only going to be one quarantine. People are crying enough about this one, imagine thinking they'd do it again.

Yep. There is only going to be one quarantine. People are crying enough about this one, imagine thinking they'd do it again.

Absent a super-deadly disease, I think we are a couple generations away from being able to mandate/replicate what has occurred the last month in this country.

See, my concern is once there is a relaxation of the rules and things are reopened, there is no going back. People would rebel against another ordered quarantine even if numbers start heading back for the worse. Some factions would adhere, others would not.

Agreed, but I do think the more at risk population will be more cautious and responsive to the rules coming back.

The worldometer numbers now have more columns and are sortable by those columns. So you can look at things much easier.

United States Coronavirus: 587,815 Cases and 23,654 Deaths - Worldometer

I looked at the 'Yesterday' tab this morning since the noise of weekend reporting should be cleared out. It shows much better numbers than last week.

- NY was below 700 deaths.

- No other states were over 200 (NJ, MI last week).

- MI was closest to NY with 115 deaths.

- Everyone else below 100.

- The median (not the mean) was 7 - right were Kentucky is. Median is the value where half are more and half are less. So half the states had less than 6 or less deaths yesterday according to the numbers.

- Eight states had no deaths reported.

- In terms of deaths per 1M of population: NY - 513 (highest), Kentucky - 23, Tennessee - 16, Wyoming - 2 (lowest).

- National average of deaths per million - 71.

- Seven states and DC are above this national average.

- 43 states are below this national average.

- The median of deaths per million by state is 21. Thus half the states have deaths per million of 20 or less. Kentucky is a bit higher than this at 23.

Using CWB's numbers:

April 13

KY - 2048 cases (4.33% increase); 104 deaths (5.08% mortality rate)

Kentucky seems to be the world's safe place.

Kentucky has 120 counties. Broken down by county this would equate to 17 cases per county, with less than one fatality per county over a 30 (or more) day period, of which 70/80% are victims 80 years old with (many severe) underlying conditions.

Proponents of the present extreme measures will say that it is because of our due diligence in taking these precautionary steps that our numbers are low.

Others might feel that it is because of our location that our general population who didn't have it to start with, still doesn't have it for the most part, and because of that are not spreading it around to each other.

Per the Herald-Leader, Fayette County today had only ONE new case (Monday) and NO deaths.

Hopefully that becomes more the trend.

Were I King of the Commonwealth, I would begin permitting all businesses (not schools/churches) to begin re-opening next Monday, the 20th, or maybe the 27th on a voluntary basis continuing safe-spacing where possible, and keeping capacities at places like restaurants to under 50% of the fire code occupancy figure.

It would all be voluntary and no one would make anyone either open or attend/patronize. At first business would be sparce, but then I believe it would trend back to some form of normalcy, when folks realized that catching Covid-19 wasn't the automatic result of venturing our of your home and into your community.

If you need help finding it, the DISLIKE button is the red one directly below to the right.

Why would you break it down by county. Just because KY has 120 counties doesn't reflect population/people numbers. The virus is about the number infected and the number of people who die; not the geographical acreage.

Antibody test will be needed.

Why would you break it down by county. Just because KY has 120 counties doesn't reflect population/people numbers. The virus is about the number infected and the number of people who die; not the geographical acreage.

Because I think people become overwhelmed by sheer numbers. I'm trying to put this thing in perspective.