Coronavirus

ChickenWyngz

The problem is always going to be what one positive test does to the system. Until we have a way to avoid everyone facing a minimum 14 day quarantine with one exposure, we are at the mercy of this thing. Open the pools? Fine until there is one positive test. Open fall camp for football? One positive test and we are back to ground zero. Imagine spending 5 minutes at a place that has been opened and now you can't leave the house for two weeks at best. Opening things back up is going to be at the mercy of even one positive test at every turn.

See, my concern is once there is a relaxation of the rules and things are reopened, there is no going back. People would rebel against another ordered quarantine even if numbers start heading back for the worse. Some factions would adhere, others would not.

Yep. There is only going to be one quarantine. People are crying enough about this one, imagine thinking they'd do it again.

Absent a super-deadly disease, I think we are a couple generations away from being able to mandate/replicate what has occurred the last month in this country.

Agreed, but I do think the more at risk population will be more cautious and responsive to the rules coming back.

So what is it going to be everyone? @gametime it sounds like you are proposing the 18 month shutdown model.

Because I think people become overwhelmed by sheer numbers. I'm trying to put this thing in perspective.

If counties were equal in number, population, and size across Kentucky and the USA it would be a much more accurate number. I get what you are saying, but there are many variables pulled from your math. But generally speaking, yes, the numbers of cases/death vs. number of people State/nationwide is relatively low. I think that perspective is warranted. But I am not sure I am the arbiter of determining what is low/high, either.

Just a matter of time before people start snapping. Domestics, suicides, homicides, depression. Can’t keep people confined forever before something gives... and it’ll be the police having to clean the mess up.

SWAT was called out yesterday for a barricaded subject in Erlanger after he pointed a gun at someone. He ultimately gave himself up after a short time.

So what is it going to be everyone? @gametime it sounds like you are proposing the 18 month shutdown model.

I will roll with whatever the health professionals and powers that be say we are to do. I feel that is my duty. My only point is once you step off the ledge we will not - if a spike were to occur - be able to go back into shutdown mode. Humans are not programmed that way.

I will roll with whatever the health professionals and powers that be say we are to do. I feel that is my duty. My only point is once you step off the ledge we will not - if a spike were to occur - be able to go back into shutdown mode. Humans are not programmed that way.

We are in the same boat bug.

I will roll with whatever the health professionals and powers that be say we are to do. I feel that is my duty. My only point is once you step off the ledge we will not - when the spike occurs - be able to go back into shutdown mode. Humans are not programmed that way.

Fixed it for you.

But, I agree 100%.

Because I think people become overwhelmed by sheer numbers. I'm trying to put this thing in perspective.

Not a great perspective at all. Kentucky has the 3rd most counties of any state in the US. However it's population ranks only 26th. Further more you have 20 counties with less than 10,000 people in the entire county, mean while Jefferson and Fayette Counties combine for over 1 million people. Boone, Kenton and Campbell on the north end of the state combine for almost 400,000 people. Looking at this by county is probably just about the worst way to analyze this thing.

I would think perspective involves people, not area.

Truth is that the current mortality rate of those who have tested positive, to this point in data, is pretty high for a virus. (Not compared to the Plague or something like that, but pretty high) :thumb:

I would think perspective involves people, not area.

Truth is that the current mortality rate of those who have tested positive, to this point in data, is pretty high for a virus. (Not compared to the Plague or something like that, but pretty high) :thumb:

Yep...people get sick. Not counties, or square miles. The fact is in this state, which has large areas that are very poor, and without access to good healthcare, KY could have been devasted by this virus. As it is, it's killing 5% of those who get it, which is trending much higher than average. In addition, with some of our big population centers near borders (Louisville and NKY) of states who are facing bigger numbers, and are shutdown, it's conceivable that had we stayed open, those areas could have seen an influx of cases from out of staters coming in to take advantage of our state not being shut down.

Again, waiting until things start to spread, has lead to big problems in other regions, and is like closing the barn door after the horses get out.

I know what I am about to say is pretty petty, but I can’t help myself...

Regarding grocery store etiquette in the CV era. I believe that most people have their home well stocked with the basics by now, and only go for small runs for other things. The mister and I like to run in, get what we need and get out, respecting social distancing as much as possible.

Last week, the mister went into Kroger to pick up a few things. There was a woman standing by an item he needed. He waited a moment, then said excuse me and reached around her. She yelled at him for getting too close.

Today I went in to get a few items, one of which was jalapeños. There was a man standing in front of the display case, his cart blocking half the peppers and his body the rest. He literally seemed to be agonizing over what size his bell pepper should be. Mindful of the mister’s experience, I picked up a couple of other vegetable needs, and then went back to where he was still agonizing. I moved closer so that he was aware that I was waiting (at this point I wanted to check to see if he had fallen asleep standing up). He gave me the skunk eye, grabbed his pepper and moved on.

I know that this should probably fall into the rant section of BGP, but seriously! GET YOUR STUFF AND MOVE ON! Social distancing is very important to PLEASE try to avoid dilly dallying in public places!

Regarding grocery store etiquette in the CV era. I believe that most people have their home well stocked with the basics by now, and only go for small runs for other things. The mister and I like to run in, get what we need and get out, respecting social distancing as much as possible.

Last week, the mister went into Kroger to pick up a few things. There was a woman standing by an item he needed. He waited a moment, then said excuse me and reached around her. She yelled at him for getting too close.

Today I went in to get a few items, one of which was jalapeños. There was a man standing in front of the display case, his cart blocking half the peppers and his body the rest. He literally seemed to be agonizing over what size his bell pepper should be. Mindful of the mister’s experience, I picked up a couple of other vegetable needs, and then went back to where he was still agonizing. I moved closer so that he was aware that I was waiting (at this point I wanted to check to see if he had fallen asleep standing up). He gave me the skunk eye, grabbed his pepper and moved on.

I know that this should probably fall into the rant section of BGP, but seriously! GET YOUR STUFF AND MOVE ON! Social distancing is very important to PLEASE try to avoid dilly dallying in public places!

This doesn't sound petty, and I know petty. :lol2:

You were more patient than I would have been.

The only thing I would add to what you and your hubby did, was to say specifically..."Excuse me. Do you mind if I get one of those jalapenos there in front of you?" And then wait for them to acknowledge that. Give them a moment to react, first. And it lets them know that you're not going to be doing the same thing they're doing...ie: claiming a certain space for an extended period of time. But, yes, part of what you described falls on them recognizing what they're doing...which those two obviously weren't.

That's the story for me EVERY trip to the grocery store. People seem to zone out and believe they are the only person in existence. How hard is it to pick out vegetables or fresh meat?

"GRAB AND MOVE!" - John Pinette

That's the story for me EVERY trip to the grocery store. People seem to zone out and believe they are the only person in existence. How hard is it to pick out vegetables or fresh meat?

Exactly. Then “Karen” is usually on her phone, too, which I detest (except for when someone is discussing what is being purchased.