Coronavirus

ChickenWyngz

For those close to retirement, when you retire are you going to cash in your 401k? Or do you want that money to make money for you over the next 15-20 years in retirement? Retirement does not mean all cash. Yes, more conservative but you should still probably be 50/50 stocks to bonds at age 65. But that also depends on your risk tolerance and the peace of mind factor.

If the peace of mind was worth it for you, that was the right move. From a numbers point of view, your retirement account value is probably 50% plus less than the value it would be if you stayed in the market. In 2009 alone the S&P was up about 29%. It probably took you 7 or 8 years to make 29% in fixed rate accounts.

My point is selling now guarantees a loss. It is the trap far too many people fall into. If nothing else, stay put for another year and you will make more from this point than the less than 1% you will make in fixed accounts over the next year. Then sell in a year and get more conservative if the roller coaster is more than you can tolerate.

I see what you're saying, but my fixed rate on my TDA has been 4% the whole time since '08 when I went that route. Not great, but much better than a typical savings account. I had invested for 24 years on the roller coaster before making that move.

I still have 4 years before I can begin to reap by receiving a monthly allotment. That will make 16 years at a fixed rate all said and done. I'll make it work, and then one day I'll die. Can't take it with me, but in the mean time I'll still eat.

Does anyone know how many cases we currently have in Kentucky and where they are located?

From what I am seeing, based soley on that map I shared the other day, Kentucky is still sitting at 6 cases. They used to break it down by city/county but now they are just saying state. I believe I heard on KSR that it was:

3 Harrison County

2 Fayette

1 Jefferson

I see what you're saying, but my fixed rate on my TDA has been 4% the whole time since '08 when I went that route. Not great, but much better than a typical savings account. I had invested for 24 years on the roller coaster before making that move.

I'd jump all over 4% right now in a fixed rate account, if I could. While still keeping some in my 401K.

I am hearing that Berea College has cancelled classes for the semester.

And Harvard (my son still teaches for them online) is telling students not to return from spring break.

They aren’t the only ones taking these steps.

Thanks; just don't understand the wording of his post, why not just share it originally? (rhetorical)

Can't speak for him, but he may not have known the exact school at the time of the post. A colleague shared what looked like an announcement by the district with me earlier today.

The following announcement was released to all Catholic institutions within the Diocese of Covington:

Liturgical Guidelines During Public Health Concern

Based on guidance from the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops Committee on Divine Worship, the United States Center for Disease Control, our own St. Elizabeth Healthcare, and the practice in a growing number of dioceses in our country, the following guidelines are to be implemented in all parishes, schools, diocesan institutions and houses of religious:

All priests, deacons, altar servers and extraordinary ministers of Holy Communion must use an alcohol-based anti-bacterial solution before and after distributing Holy Communion.

Discern how best to do this while maintaining the reverence of the Mass.

Ensure all vessels used at Mass, once purified, are thoroughly washed with soap and hot water after each use.

During all Masses and other liturgies:

Refrain from physical contact during the Sign of Peace. (N.B. The sign of peace can be exchanged without physical contact, for example, by a bow/nod of the head and the words “Peace be with you.”)

Refrain from the distribution of Holy Communion via the chalice. (Please consider options for any parishioners with celiac disease or sensitivity.)

Given the frequency of direct contact with saliva in the distribution of Holy Communion on the tongue, every consideration should be given by each individual to receive Holy Communion in open hands for the time being.

Refrain from using Holy Water fonts. Where possible, fonts should be emptied. Where not possible to empty, fonts should be covered.

The faithful who are sick or who are experiencing symptoms are not obliged to attend Mass.

Catechism of the Catholic Church #2181 allows for serious reasons such as illness.

These guidelines, effective immediately, will be in effect until revoked. While we do not want to panic, neither do we want to be derelict in our duty to provide for the health and welfare of all those we serve.

For those close to retirement, when you retire are you going to cash in your 401k? Or do you want that money to make money for you over the next 15-20 years in retirement? Retirement does not mean all cash. Yes, more conservative but you should still probably be 50/50 stocks to bonds at age 65. But that also depends on your risk tolerance and the peace of mind factor.

I’m retiring at 67 and I’m going to get my monthly draw until I’m gone. 35 years of the market is enough for me. I could see the argument for staying in some capacity, I think it all depends on everyone’s own unique situation.