Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Coronavirus

Featured Replies

I've been, and mostly remain, in the "no change to my daily life" mode, but some of the pictures and stories coming out of Italy are really frightening. Their patient #1, a 38 year old, healthy, active, white collar businessman has been hospitalized since late February. Their hospitals are over-flowing, they are running out of supplies, and it is a total mess.

 

The sensationalism employed by many mainstream media in this country is problematic, to be sure, but I think the right level of awareness and preparation lies somewhere in the middle.

  • Replies 3.6k
  • Views 313.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most Popular Posts

  • My wife is home, but is really no better than when I took her to the ER. However everything they were doing for her there, we are going to be able to do at home. She has a very long recovery in front

  • I mean isn’t that kind of what we did with not allowing smoking inside restaurants? Isn’t that why there’s no smoking at sporting events? It’s to make other people feel more comfortable. Kind of simil

  • This is what I envisioned when the shutdown talks started. I would have never imagined that so many employees were “essential”.    We didn’t really shutdown. We quit going out to eat and t

Posted Images

With how the media loves to report on each individual case and quarantine, it makes it less likely I would seek medical attention unless things were looking grim. You want your privacy invaded like that?

 

I have similar thoughts. If you're not in the high risk category (elderly or compromised immune system) then you'd be just as well off quarantining yourself at home and call for help and explain the situation if you don't fight it off in a reasonable amount of time.

 

I've seen multiple interviews now with ppl that tested positive for the virus but never showed any symptoms. One guy has tested positive for over a month now, yet seems to be perfectly fine other being told that he's not.

This is all just dumbfounding to me.

 

We’ve had viruses before and have we shut down like this?

 

We’ve had viruses that have had a 4% death rate? The flu’s death rate is way less than 1%.

 

I’m not panicking or anything like that. I am intrigued by the whole situation. I don’t want it. I can’t miss work because I am being quarantined.

We’ve had viruses that have had a 4% death rate? The flu’s death rate is way less than 1%.

 

I’m not panicking or anything like that. I am intrigued by the whole situation. I don’t want it. I can’t miss work because I am being quarantined.

 

I've been looking for any solid information on the mortality rate compared to other viruses and can't really come up with anything I would consider accurate. Numbers seem to be everywhere and a lot of them can't be trusted due to that, imo. The only concrete information that seems to make sense to me is the mortality rate is higher with the elderly as well as those with compromised immune systems. Which would be normal in my mind considering it takes time to figure out a working treatment, etc.

 

It appears that there is a working vaccine even, but needs further testing to be approved for use on the general public. If crap really hit the fan though I'd imagine that vaccine would be rolled out early.

I've been looking for any solid information on the mortality rate compared to other viruses and can't really come up with anything I would consider accurate. Numbers seem to be everywhere and a lot of them can't be trusted due to that, imo. The only concrete information that seems to make sense to me is the mortality rate is higher with the elderly as well as those with compromised immune systems. Which would be normal in my mind considering it takes time to figure out a working treatment, etc.

 

It appears that there is a working vaccine even, but needs further testing to be approved for use on the general public. If crap really hit the fan though I'd imagine that vaccine would be rolled out early.

 

Same. Hell, I’m using numbers from yesterday so they could already be skewed one way or another.

The sensationalism employed by many mainstream media in this country is problematic, to be sure, but I think the right level of awareness and preparation lies somewhere in the middle.

 

Agreed.

We’ve had viruses that have had a 4% death rate? The flu’s death rate is way less than 1%.

 

I’m not panicking or anything like that. I am intrigued by the whole situation. I don’t want it. I can’t miss work because I am being quarantined.

 

I've been looking for any solid information on the mortality rate compared to other viruses and can't really come up with anything I would consider accurate. Numbers seem to be everywhere and a lot of them can't be trusted due to that, imo. The only concrete information that seems to make sense to me is the mortality rate is higher with the elderly as well as those with compromised immune systems. Which would be normal in my mind considering it takes time to figure out a working treatment, etc.

 

It appears that there is a working vaccine even, but needs further testing to be approved for use on the general public. If crap really hit the fan though I'd imagine that vaccine would be rolled out early.

 

I've been searching also. This is the best I've seen.

 

How does the new coronavirus compare with the flu? | Live Science

The death rate from seasonal flu is typically around 0.1% in the U.S., according to The New York Times.

 

The death rate for COVID-19 appears to be higher than that of the flu.

 

In the study published Feb. 18 in the China CDC Weekly, researchers found a death rate from COVID-19 to be around 2.3% in mainland China. Another study of about 1,100 hospitalized patients in China, published Feb. 28 in the New England Journal of Medicine, found that the overall death rate was slightly lower, around 1.4%.

 

 

South Korea, which was also hit pretty hard early on, but has medical care quality very similar to our own, has had a 0.77% mortality rate. Which is slightly higher than our hospitalized flu patient percentage of 0.57%. That is 58 deaths out of 7513 reported cases. If you assume that there are also unreported cases because of very mild to no symptoms, that 0.77% drops very low.

The Ivy League has cancelled both their conference tournaments.

 

In reference to your post informing us that the Ivy League has cancelled their conference tournaments, I will provide a link from 247sports entitled "Coronavirus cancels Ive League Conference Tournament"

 

Coronavirus cancels Ivy League Conference Tournament

Wuhan has already closed the temporary hospitals and the number of new cases was reported at less than 20 the past day.

Schools closed, tournaments cancelled but we can all still go to work and go in public?

I have similar thoughts. If you're not in the high risk category (elderly or compromised immune system) then you'd be just as well off quarantining yourself at home and call for help and explain the situation if you don't fight it off in a reasonable amount of time.

 

I've seen multiple interviews now with ppl that tested positive for the virus but never showed any symptoms. One guy has tested positive for over a month now, yet seems to be perfectly fine other being told that he's not.

 

That goes for all viruses, they attack each person differently. Some people are even immune. The media is having a field day.

I’ve finally seen the terrifying effects of the coronavirus....

@John Anthony and I are in complete agreement.

 

:lol2:

Last week one of my gym buddies (Pablo) stood about 8 feet away from me while we talked.

 

I told him not pick up any of the dumbbells if he was that serious about it.

 

I think it is getting way, way too much coverage and it is creating a great buying opportunity for investors.

This is where I’m at as well.

I wash my hands a little more.

 

Other than that, basketball teams are practicing, baseball teams are practicing, I'm working, still got Friday lunches out. No change here

KSR is reporting NCAA to make an announcement about the tournament.

 

Doesn't sound good.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.