Coronavirus

ChickenWyngz

Got this information this morning from a Healthcare official who was updating the powers that be in two states:

1. The virus has been in USA for 90 days.

2. We are on the back-end of people getting it, but on the front end of confirmed cases because they just started testing for it. There will be over a million cases in the USA when all is said and done, but most of those people likely have it already.

3. The percentage of deaths to confirmed cases will end up looking like the flu (1 in about 2,000 Americans) once the numbers flush out.

4. Recommendations to people moving forward:

A. If you are under 50, live your life as normal.

B. If you are over 70, do not travel and do not go places with a lot of people or any crowds.

C. If you are 50-70, be a little more cautious, don't shake hands, don't hug, wash your hands more often, but keep living as you normally would besides those things.

For what it's worth.

Got this information this morning from a Healthcare official who was updating the powers that be in two states:

2. We are on the back-end of people getting it, but on the front end of confirmed cases because they just started testing for it. There will be over a million cases in the USA when all is said and done, but most of those people likely have it already.

3. The percentage of deaths to confirmed cases will end up looking like the flu (1 in about 2,000 Americans) once the numbers flush out.

B. If you are over 70, do not travel and do not go places with a lot of people or any crowds.

C. If you are 50-70, be a little more cautious, don't shake hands, don't hug, wash your hands more often, but keep living as you normally would besides those things.

For what it's worth.

Sounds pretty sensible to me.

For what it's worth.

Thanks @The Double Deuce

It is becoming obvious many of you can't discuss this topic without injecting politics into it.

Last warning to everyone or unfortunately we can't discuss the topic.

I want to go on record as saying that I hope that we can all follow the "Terms of Service" and keep this thread open. It is an important topic to discuss and share information.

Joe Rogan addressed this topic yesterday on his show. He interviews Michael Osterholm who is an internationally recognized expert in infectious disease epidemiology. Its a good listen/watch.

What were the top couple of takeaways?

Google says we have 331,000,000 people in America. If 75,000,000 catch The Corona then a 1% mortality rate means 750,000 die from it.

You are thinking like I am thinking. The million dollar question is will COVID-19 "infect" everyone in America. In other words, can we stop it unless you are living deep in the woods somewhere.

Hopefully we eventually get more information from China which should serve as a case study for the rest of the world.

Google says we have 331,000,000 people in America. If 75,000,000 catch The Corona then a 1% mortality rate means 750,000 die from it.

That's where my head went reading the info provided by DD. 750K is way higher than the average number of deaths that the flu causes.

I read an article in the Wall Street Journal which said that 80% of Americans who will be or are now "infected" won't even know it or will have very slight symptoms. Again, it is the elderly and those who are otherwise compromised who need to exercise greater caution.

Using your math, if 75 million people get this (where is that coming from, that seems incredibly high), but if they do, and 1 in 2,000 die, that is 37,500 deaths. Less than the die from the flu. The 1% is current because 99% of the cases in this country aren't yet reported because they feel fine and can't / won't be tested.

Only the hospitals can do the tests currently, and you have to be exhibiting some symptoms to get tested. So most that have it / will have it, and have mild to no symptoms, won't ever be tested.

What were the top couple of takeaways?

It's not something to take lightly. Best guess with current data, 10-15 times worse than seasonal flu. With that a conservative estimate would require 48 million hospitalizations, 96 million cases, 480,000 deaths over the next 3-7 months.

Says theres a lot of misinformation out there. Also, talks about why close schools, whose going to take care of kids, adults with with no paid sick leave, life must go on etc. Shutting down cities would shut down supply chains for drugs/food and could make things worse. System flaws all over the world. Limiting contact does help. Talks about the quarantine on cruise ships, its a terrible idea because they have recycled air the people will keep getting sick.

Theres A LOT of info in there both alarming and good news as well.

It's not something to take lightly. Best guess with current data, 10-15 times worse than seasonal flu. With that a conservative estimate would require 48 million hospitalizations, 96 million cases, 480,000 deaths over the next 3-7 months.

Says theres a lot of misinformation out there. Also, talks about why close schools, whose going to take care of kids, adults with with no paid sick leave, life must go on etc. Shutting down cities would shut down supply chains for drugs/food and could make things worse. System flaws all over the world. Limiting contact does help. Talks about the quarantine on cruise ships, its a terrible idea because they have recycled air the people will keep getting sick.

Theres A LOT of info in there both alarming and good news as well.

Thank you.

I think it is very serious but there is very little we can do about it.

With that said, I think life needs to go on as normal and we weather the storm the best we can.

Holy cow! Went into Kroger today to get dog food and something to cook for dinner. We just got back from Florida and I hadn’t been there in awhile. I was shocked! The shelves were empty of bleach, hand sanitizer, and rubbing alcohol. Shelves were almost empty of laundry detergent, cleaning supplies, toilet paper, and hand soaps. Even some canned goods and cereal aisles were low. I have never seen it like this in my entire life. I was very surprised.

I am not afraid of the Corona virus, but I am concerned about my toilet paper needs. Have to admit, I stocked up on a few things. Thinking about going back to the liquor store too!

Thanks Double Deuce for the update above. Sounds like some pretty good and reasonable information.