Coronavirus

ChickenWyngz

"Experts" are clearly all over the place on this topic. I'd be careful on who/what you choose to believe.

Agree, however, if that's taking a shot at my post above, I'm good with trusting Mike Osterholm and you should be too. Here's his bio....

Michael T. Osterholm is an American public health scientist and a biosecurity and infectious disease expert. He's the the director of the Center for Infectious Disease Research and Policy (CIDRAP) at the University of Minnesota and a Regents Professor, the McKnight Presidential Endowed Chair in Public Health, a Distinguished Teaching Professor in the Division of Environmental Health Sciences, School of Public Health, a professor in the Technological Leadership Institute, College of Science and Engineering, and an adjunct professor in the University of Minnesota Medical School, all at the University of Minnesota. He is also on the Board of Regents at Luther College in Decorah, Iowa.

I enjoyed this from Elizabeth Gilbert. It's part of a longer post that she wrote this afternoon.

"Let me a show a strong measure of mercy to the people across the world who are running institutions, schools, governments, and companies right now. Those people are faced with the supremely unenviable task of trying to figure out how to respond to this crisis responsibly. There is no playbook. They will make mistakes. They will overreact; they will under react. They are human beings in an impossible dilemma. I would not wish to be the person faced with such massive, impactful decisions right now. Let me show compassion to them."

Regarding the Rogan podcast - which I thought was riveting - that featured infectious disease expert Michael Osterholm. Here are the takeaways...

This is just beginning. It will unfold for months and people don't get that. This transmits very easily through the air. Data shows it is infectious before you get sick, in fact, highly infectious. Best guess among experts with limited data, 10-15x worse in terms of fatalities and illnesses than the worst season flu we've ever seen. In terms of numbers, 96 million cases and over 480,000 deaths over next 3-7 months. THIS IS NOT TO BE TAKEN LIGHTLY. Three weeks ago Italy was living life just fine, now the entire county is shut down and people are dying at an alarming rate.

To put this in modern terms, a physician in Milan Italy sent an email out that said they're deciding who they have to let die, staff isn't being screened because they need all hands on decks, everyone is dedicated to COVID patients, even if positive with symptoms, they have to work. Also, there is an alarming number of cases in the 40 something age range. We need to stop thinking this is an old persons disease. This is unfolding in Wuhan, in Italy and even here in Seattle, and it will continue to unfold throughout the world.

Yes, the majority that have died have been older and age is the primary risk factor, but there are other factors. For ex, smoking in China. The challenge we have is that's really only the Chinese data. Experts are worried that other risk factors will emerge in other parts of the world. For example, obesity in the US. It's just like smoking in how it can seriously effect health and create life threatening conditions. In the US, over 40% of citizens are obese. There is concern we're going to see very serious life threatening cases in the US because of a different set of risk factors.

Incubation period is FOUR days. And the virus effects people differently. For ex. an Uber driver could be sick, but not know it, and infect a passenger. That Uber drive could eventually show symptoms, recover, and be fine, while the passenger dies.

We have to get information out to the public, there is so much misinformation.

we have to get information out to the public. so much misinformation. This is going to be a long term thing. We're going to have 3-6 months that will be like this. This has unfolded just as we predicted. On 1/20, we said this would happen and no one paid attention. We predicted exactly when it would pop in the US, we were told we were wrong. When people are confronted with the actual information, people finally realize how serious this is and the need to be prepared.

Studies were conducted in Germany this week that followed a group of nine people exposed. In the first hours, when symptoms showed, we went in and sample their throats, blood, stool, urine, etc and found shockingly they had incredibly high levels of virus, almost 10,000 times as much as SARS. This is why we're concerned. People in public spaces are exposed, especially those over 55 with underlying health problems. Stay away from large public spaces.

As far as public health, we're not going to have a vaccine soon. We could close schools, but does that do more harm than good?

We aren't prepared at all. SARS/MERS were harbingers of things to come. We hear it and yet we don't get prepared. This this was predicted by many experts. 85% of all of the world's production of IV bags were made in plants in Puerto Rico. Hurricane Maria came through 18 months ago and destroyed the plants that manufactured these supplies. We've had a massive shortage of IV bags, yet we're still not prepared? Hopefully, this is a wake up call.

One of the things that has us most concerned as well, we've been studying for 18 months looking at critical drug shortages. There are 153 drugs people need right now when they are in severe emergency condition. 100 are generic. All are made offshore and, in large part in China and India. At this point, we already have a shortage. Now, the supply chain is down. If I came to you and said the DOD was going to outsource their munitions needs to China/India, there would be outrage. But, with this issue, we are beholden to China for these medications. It's ridiculous. Now, with the shutdown, we are at risk. Even the situation that's unfolded, its not about virus, it's about what the entire system is rigged up to be and what the virus does once it gets into it.

The stuff about the supply chain is fascinating and scary at the same time.

The stuff about the supply chain is fascinating and scary at the same time.

Agree! I just wish people spouting so much misinformation and don't understand the multiple layers to the issue would get informed. It's driving me crazy. The information is out there, you just have to sift through the layers of nonsense to get to the information we need to know.

At this point, I almost think the best move would be to shut down all events etc with more than 50 people for a week. Go hard and shut it off so we can move forward.

Great take. Completely agree. I just wish all the naysayers would understand the difference between those of us saying we HAVE to be cautious and isolate vs. the doomsday predictors. It's beyond frustrating to hear the same ole 2-3 things in the last 48 hours.

I'm just wondering if this country could even pull off some type of national quarantine like Italy has had to do. We're so big that I just have a hard time seeing it, but something like that might become necessary just to stop the spread of this thing and buy time.

So it seems that things are getting worse in Italy.......

Right! I'm shocked at how many people today claiming that "it's just like the flu!"/"it's a conspiracy" that had zero idea what's going on in Italy. And, STILL, after being told to look into it...don't see it as something to be concerned about.