Kentucky's Top 15 Football Dynasties

Ram

Awful lot of years over the past decade where the only losses for Male, Manual and Ballard were to Trinity, St. Xavier and each other.

Now, as I said above, it's a ludicrous "dynasty" ranking, but in other terms, it's probably not far off from reality.

Who cares if they lost to T or not over the years. They hasn't won enough titles to even be in the convo.

Several other teams in the state are a lot more deserving. If we go the route of "but they lost to the best team" then we could add another dozen teams.

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Who cares if they lost to T or not over the years. They hasn't won enough titles to even be in the convo.

Several other teams in the state are a lot more deserving. If we go the route of "but they lost to the best team" then we could add another dozen teams.

That's CLEARLY not what they based this ranking on. The question they're asking clearly isn't "Who's won the most titles?" or even "Who's dominated their class?" The question they've decided to base this thing on is "Who have been the best teams in all of Kentucky over the last decade?" And given that question, I don't think their final result is all that far off.

Instead of nitpicking I will just do my own:

1. Trinity- 8 State Titles in 10 years.. the other two years there is a strong case they may have been the 2nd best team in the entire State.. 1 Runner-Up

2. Highlands- 7 Titles in 10 years... consistently the 3rd or even possibly 2nd best team in the entire state regardless of class...1 Runner-Up

3. St. Xavier- Only 2 Titles.. but that number would be tripled or quadrupled if not for the #1 team...3 Runner-Ups

4. Central- 5 State Championships in 10 years, with those 5 Titles coming in the last 6 years.

5. Newport Central Catholic- 4 Champonships in last 10 years,2 Runner-Ups... no small school has seen the success of the Breds.

6. Boyle County- 3 State Titles and a Runner-Up in 10 years...a couple down years..but by and large right at the top of the pack every year

7. Bowling Green- 2 State Titles, 3 Runner-Ups in 10 years... consistently the premier program in WKY.

8. Belfry- 2 State Titles, 4 Runner-Ups in 10 years... If not for Central Pirates would have one of the best runs in the State with 6 State Finals in 10 years

9. Mayfield- 2 State Titles, 3 Runner-Up in 10 years... emerging as the premier 1A program in the State.

10. Ft. Campbell- 3 State Titles... Falcons got off the mat in a big way winning 3 straight titles

11. Beechwood- 3 State Titles... once the premier 1A program and a Top 3 Dynasty the Tigers have fallen on a bit of a slump as Mayfield has emerged

12. LexCath- 2 State Titles.. Knights would have had a lot more success if not for teams liek Boyle and Highlands being geographically close

13. Hazard- 1 State Title, 2 Runner-Ups... Bulldogs have emerged as a perennial 1A contender

14. Bell County- 1 State Title.. One of the winningest teams over the past decade..yet only one Finals to show for it

15. Covington Catholic- 1 State Title... whoa are the Colonels with a Bluebird for a District mate.

Bowling Green has to be higher than Boyle County and I'd argue before or after St. Xavier. Are you basing your list on state titles only?

A 1000% Better, I was going to do one before I saw yours. Nice job
Me too. I started a list and had 13 teams on it when I saw this post by ATLCat. He had my 13 plus Hazard and Cov Cath. I wadded up my list and threw it away.

I agree that you can't be a "dynasty" without winning a state championship. That would have to be at least a minimum requirement.

What surprised me is the opponents record of X versus T and Highlands. The opponents of X actually won more and lost fewer than those of T and Highlands,especially T who purportedly plays the hardest schedule around. This isn't criricizing anyone, just surprising to me. The numbers really weren't that close.

Beechwood playoff stats for last 10 years:

3 Titles

1 Runnerup

4 Semi finals

Only twice in the last 10 years has Beechwood not made the final four. In 2006 they lost in the 2nd round to the eventual state champion NCC (who Beechwood beat in the regular season). In 2005, Yeagle's last season, they lost to Lexington Christian in the second round.

How many schools have been in the final four 8 or more times in the last 10 years? I am sure Trinity has and am pretty sure Highlands has. Mayfield has been to 8 of 10 semifinals. Who else?

Belfry:

9/10...2 State Titles, 4 Runner-Ups, and 2 losses to Russell in the Semi-Finals (one year Russell won it all), once to Breathitt County.

The other loss was in the 2nd Round to Sheldon Clark in a rebuilding year preceding a run of 3 straight State Final Appearances.

Edited by ATLCat

Bowling Green has to be higher than Boyle County and I'd argue before or after St. Xavier. Are you basing your list on state titles only?

State Title and State Finals Heavy..but I also took into account who ended their runs, and how good the team was on the Statewide Level (which strongly helped St. X and helped Bowling Green when comparing to a team like a Belfry who had been to the Finals more times) . For example re: who ended their season, whereas Bowling Green has had their season ended by State Runner-Ups (Christian County, John Hardin) or teams that didn't even reach the Finals (Mad. North Hopkins, Owensboro)... a team like Boyle County has felt their demise at the hands of teams who went on to win the whole enchilada (Bell County, Highlands, LexCath)

With that said, I don't claim to have the perfect list...just the way I viewed it from my interpretation of what a "dynasty" ranking would mean.

State Title and State Finals Heavy..but I also took into account who ended their runs, and how good the team was on the Statewide Level (which strongly helped St. X and helped Bowling Green when comparing to a team like a Belfry who had been to the Finals more times) . For example re: who ended their season, whereas Bowling Green has had their season ended by State Runner-Ups (Christian County, John Hardin) or teams that didn't even reach the Finals (Mad. North Hopkins, Owensboro)... a team like Boyle County has felt their demise at the hands of teams who went on to win the whole enchilada (Bell County, Highlands, LexCath)

With that said, I don't claim to have the perfect list...just the way I viewed it from my interpretation of what a "dynasty" ranking would mean.

I hear you. 'Dynasty' being the key word. I know Bowling Green manhandled Boyle County in the one time they met in the last decade and I'm of the belief that Bowling Green would have defeated all the teams listed above them not named Trinity or Highlands in the last decade also. They have recent wins over St. X as proof.

The LexCath team that beat Boyle County to win it all defeated Bowling Green in the finals if I am not mistaken. Boyle County has had their season ended at the hands of LexCath the last two seasons AND Boyle County's down seasons were way worse than the seasons that Bowling Green lost to teams that didn't make the finals.

Bowling Green has to be higher than Boyle County.

I agree that you can't be a "dynasty" without winning a state championship. That would have to be at least a minimum requirement.

What surprised me is the opponents record of X versus T and Highlands. The opponents of X actually won more and lost fewer than those of T and Highlands,especially T who purportedly plays the hardest schedule around. This isn't criricizing anyone, just surprising to me. The numbers really weren't that close.

- X has to play T every year, sometimes twice

- Highlands gets hamstrung by their district schedule. CovCath is always a test, but the Pendletons and Harrisons of the world don't help those computer rankings a heck of a lot.

I hear you. 'Dynasty' being the key word. I know Bowling Green manhandled Boyle County in the one time they met in the last decade and I'm of the belief that Bowling Green would have defeated all the teams listed above them not named Trinity or Highlands in the last decade also. They have recent wins over St. X as proof.

The LexCath team that beat Boyle County to win it all defeated Bowling Green in the finals if I am not mistaken. Boyle County has had their season ended at the hands of LexCath the last two seasons AND Boyle County's down seasons were way worse than the seasons that Bowling Green lost to teams that didn't make the finals.

Bowling Green has to be higher than Boyle County.

In the past 10 years if x and bg played every year how many times would bg win? Obviously count the last 2.

In the past 10 years if x and bg played every year how many times would bg win? Obviously count the last 2.

St. X and BG met 4 times in the last 10 years (2005, 2006, 2011, 2012). They split. None of the games were decided by more than a TD (each won by 8 once). Four of BG's five best teams of the timespan were in those years (adding 2007).

Safe to assume X gets 2009 when they ran over Trinity twice, which beat BG 9-0 that same year.

I think that's about the best that can be proven. You can make arguments for some of the other years. 2007 & 2010 are probably the best cases for BG. I'd feel comfortable in placing 2004 & 2008 in the X camp. 2003 would have been interesting.

All in all, we know they went 2-2 against each other. I think BG gets at least one more (probably 2010). I'd say at best BG goes 4-6 against X in last 10 years, as low as 3-7.