Kentucky's Top 15 Football Dynasties

Ram

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And yet Trinity has the same amount of state titles as Highlands and Highlands is claiming superiority? Why? Because Highlands has been around longer?

They both started the same year for state championships. 1959 or so? All the others above and beyond the 22 for each are mythical since there was no single authority.

In this definition.. this list is far more subjective..especially outside of the Top 5 or 6:

1. Trinity

2. Highlands

3. St. X

4.Beechwood

5. Danville

6. Mayfield

7. Male

I have to ask, why do you have Beechwood above Mayfield?

My point is that ten years is not sufficient to make a team a dynasty. Ten years is enough to say that a school had a good run. For Trinity, Highlands and several of the schools listed in the original post, they have had only one coach. When the term dynasty is used, in my mind, it usually is in terms of a ruling family of a monarch. Would you call the reign of only one monarch in a country such as the United Kingdom a dynasty? I would not. A dynasty is like the pharaohes of ancient Egypt, one family ruling for hundreds of years. Now we cannot use that kind of timeframe here, but ten years does NOT make a dynasty.

And yet Trinity has the same amount of state titles as Highlands and Highlands is claiming superiority? Why? Because Highlands has been around longer?
Exactly! And won more...for a longer time. It's all about the definition of dynasty. Per the limits of the article, we can go with Trinity. But when we talk "dynasty" over the long haul, it's Highlands.

The fact that Highlands has been around since 1915 is not relevant to the thread though. We are discussing a list of dynasties that is set in the window of 2003-2013. They set the parameters that it be based on number of state titles, strength of schedule, and number of wins in that time period.
I thought I made it clear that I was not referring to the pre-determined time limitations when I began the post with, "When looking at the bigger picture, beyond the time frame of the article..."

Take your Highlands blinders off and read the article, please. It clearly states "Here is a list of the Top 15 Dynasties in Kentucky since 2003 based on wins, state titles and strength of schedule." You're correct that the word dynasty does imply a long run, but this is specifically referencing dynasties since 2003. Trinity wins in both the state championship tally, and strength of schedule tally, without question. Highlands is the pretty obvious number two team. Mythical state championships are great and all, but are not pertinent to the discussion.

Easy there fella. If you read the thread through it was established that the term dynasty was clearly misused. The discussion, particularly that preceding his post, was all about the bigger picture. Given the big picture view, his argument is certainly a valid one. Highlands has won as many state championships as any team since they began in 1958. They won mythical championships prior to the playoff system. They have the most wins in state history.

There was a whole thread on who has the most impressive history T or H. Both have been incredibly impressive. H has been around longer and winning longer. Nothing anyone can do to change that.

My point is that ten years is not sufficient to make a team a dynasty. Ten years is enough to say that a school had a good run. For Trinity, Highlands and several of the schools listed in the original post, they have had only one coach. When the term dynasty is used, in my mind, it usually is in terms of a ruling family of a monarch. Would you call the reign of only one monarch in a country such as the United Kingdom a dynasty? I would not. A dynasty is like the pharaohes of ancient Egypt, one family ruling for hundreds of years. Now we cannot use that kind of timeframe here, but ten years does NOT make a dynasty.

Why isn't it? The Patriots are referred to as a dynasty and their dynasty didn't start until 2001.

Easy there fella. If you read the thread through it was established that the term dynasty was clearly misused. The discussion, particularly that preceding his post, was all about the bigger picture. Given the big picture view, his argument is certainly a valid one. Highlands has won as many state championships as any team since they began in 1958. They won mythical championships prior to the playoff system. They have the most wins in state history.

There was a whole thread on who has the most impressive history T or H. Both have been incredibly impressive. H has been around longer and winning longer. Nothing anyone can do to change that.

That still does not make them the best program in the state.

To many it actually does.

I know. And at the end of the day there is no right or wrong answer. If I was in NKY or had ties to Highlands or Ft. Thomas I'm sure I'd have a different opinion also. I'm not going to call a program the best one in the state just because they have been around longer than anyone else or a large majority of the state when there is a program that equals them in state titles but was established decades after theirs.

That's just me though. And some others not based out of NKY.

In the long run, Highlands is obviously the dominant program in KY history. Trinity played their first season in 1955. Highlands won their first official title in 1960, while Trinity won theirs in 1968. However, I would cast my vote for Trinity based upon the fact that T has played insane schedules the last several years and has teed up H in scrimmages (though they don't count). T also plays in what I consider the toughest district in the Commonwealth with X, Male, and Manual...the last two seasons those are the only KY teams T has played.

I am honored that folks agree with me that BGHS belongs way up there. In addition to the last two 5A titles, they played in three other title games in the past ten years. In addition, the Purples have considerably beefed up their schedule in the last several years, and made believers out of T and X fans. The last time T invaded The Big El, they showed a lot of grit in escaping with a 14-13 win, just before T went national. The T fans (and Mrs PH and I talked to many of them after the game!) had nothing but praise for the Purples...they were very gracious in victory! Something else about the Purples: in order to get out of Region One in the playoffs, they must go against very old and very emotionally charged rivalries just to make it to the west semifinal. It is both physically and emotionally draining. Plus, someday, JH is going to have a title or two under their belts as well...outstanding program and, in Mark Brown, an outstanding coach!

And I definitely believe that Mayfield and Ft Campbell belong. Just my take!

Can't wait to go to Louisville this year to play St X again. Super fans and stadium personnel...really nice stadium...love the stadium fare so you don't leave hungry...and we're hoping for a chance to holler at Oxnard and Tony Danza this time!