Mayfield hires Cliff Dew as their next head football coach

From the Mayfield Independent School District
Published May 17, 2024

Coach Cliff Dew has been tapped as the new head coach of the Mayfield Cardinals Football Team.

Dew steps into the position following the retirement of longtime coach Joe Morris.

Coach Dew has had a total of 17 years with the Cardinals. He first joined the Cards in 2005, but left briefly to serve as head coach and athletic director for two years at North Pontotoc High School in Mississippi. He returned to Mayfield as defensive coordinator in 2009 where he has made 13 trips to the football state championship, winning six.

After the announcement of Coach Joe’s retirement, Dew said the question turned to moving the program forward in the best situation. He said the team has a number of coaches that could have moved into that position. “I am fortunate and blessed to be the one to bridge the career that Joe had and carry that forward.”

Dew holds numerous accolades from his years on the field as well as from the sideline, from his high school days, through college, and into his coaching  career.

In college, he was an offensive lineman for Ole Miss in 1990-1991, transferring from Delta State. At Ole Miss, he was Team Captain in 1991, the 1991 CommuniGroup Offensive Lineman of the Year, and was the starting OG in the 1991 Gator Bowl. Dew then transitioned to a graduate assistant football coach for the Rebels in 1992-1993, which included a trip to the Liberty Bowl.  

Before joining the Cardinals in 2005, Dew coached in various capacities at Desoto Central High School in Southaven, MS, Graves County High School, and Lone Oak High School.

Dew holds both a Bachelor’s and Master’s degrees from the University of Mississippi and received his Rank I from Murray State University.  He and his wife Joelle have a son, Cassyn, at Mayfield High School.

Looking ahead, Dew says he understands the expectations.  “Not much will change. We have a successful program. It was built on the coaches even before Joe. Coach Leahy, Coach Jack created the tradition of Mayfield football.  I feel honored to continue that tradition.”

https://www.mayfield.kyschools.us/apps/news/article/1928282

• Like 5

Like I said. Nothing changes other than the head coach. Same offense, defense, and expectations. Congrats Coach Dew you will carry the torch just fine. 

• Like 1