2024 Covington Catholic Colonels

ColonelFace-BlueBlackWhite-Alternate-Copy.jpg.5aa8ad0ce2c3055785dcbe486c14b503.jpg

2023 Outcome

Record: 14-1

The Colonels had a banner year, winning all of 'em, straight up until the 4A state finals at Kroger Field when their undefeated record was brought to a halt by the Rebels from Boyle County. Throughout the season, TE Rodriguez brought the show every time he got his hands on the ball, QB Pitzer showed his school-record-setting arm but also brought his game with his legs, RB Leen put on a clinic for what it means to be a workhorse tailback, Reeves wrought havoc on the line, WR Miller made a model of what it is to be a clutch-yardage man, and TE/LB Kruer proved that he's going to be an absolute force in the state in his senior year. CB/QB Gaiser, WR Link, FS/QB Harney and CB Sanning all showed that they were there to make plays when plays needed to be made.

Cov Cath's 2023 Statistical Leaders

Graduated: Evan Pitzer (QB) | Willie Rodriguez (TE/LB) | Owen Leen (RB) | Ben Reeves (DL/OL) | Braylon Miller (WR/DB) | Noah Johnson (WR/DB) | Josh Flood (LB) | Seth Jones (OL) | JP Sullivan (OL/LB) | Mason Edwards (DL/OL)

Returning Starters/Contributors: Tate Kruer (LB/TE) | Oliver Link (WR/DB) | Andrew Bessler (LB/RB) | Dylan Gaiser (DB/QB) | Cash Harney (S/QB) | Andrew Weitzel (PK) | Ben McEvoy (WR/DB) | Nick Krallman (LB/TE) | Mason Dietz (OL/DL) | Logan Sanning (DB/WR) | Donovan Bradshaw (WR/DB) | Isaac Mason (OL/LB) | Brady Guard (LB/TE) | Tucker Evans (OL/LB)

Bullpen: Jonny Lind (OL/DL) | Owen Pitzer (LB/TE) | Jimmy Carson (RB/LB) | Spencer Clukey (TE/DL) | Jackson Payne (QB/LB) | Emmett Queen (QB) | Ariel Garista (OL/DL) | Luke Rensing (TE/QB/LB) | Colin Vinson (OL/DL) | Mac Cogswell (WR/DB) | George Unkraut (RB/LB)

2024 Outlook

The biggest question of the offseason: Who will be the Colonels' playcaller in 2024. Cov Cath has a bounty of quarterbacks, top to bottom with Elliott Fieler, Cash Harney and Dylan Gaiser all going into their junior years, Jackson Payne & Grant Reardon both coming up from last year's freshman team, and Emmett Queen, a Colonel Youth Football standout-turned Elder Panther heading back to the south side of the Ohio River for the 3rd quarter of his freshman year and looking to stake his own claim at QB as a third incoming sophomore on next year's varsity squad.

Cov Cath will also be looking to fill the shoes of running back Owen Leen, who was Mr. Reliable when it came to toting the pigskin out of the backfield the last two seasons. Andrew Bessler spent some time in the offensive backfield this past season, and I think we're likely to a lot out of see incoming sophomore running backs George Unkraut & Jimmy Carson. Is there a possibility we could see one of the QB prospects make a shift to ball carrier next year as well? There's plenty of opportunity ahead behind the line on offense.

Big Willie's absence will be big shoes to fill, both at tight end and in the linebacking corps. But linebacker Tate Kruer, who led the team in tackles the last two seasons running, will be back as a senior. Kruer was no slouch at tight end either. Look to see Owen Pitzer & Nick Krallman both linebacking and at tight end next year, while Andrew Bessler & Tucker Mason will also be returning at LB and incoming sophomore George Unkraut is also likely to join the crew. The return of Oliver Link, Ben McEvoy and Donovan Bradshaw all at wide receiver will make a solid start to the receiving corps, while Logan Sanning, Cash Harney and Dylan Gaiser will be the go-to's in the defensive backfield.

In the trenches, Cov Cath will be looking hard to their Masons: returning starters Mason Dietz and Isaac Mason. Tucker Evans also returns on the offensive line. Other likely faces at the line of scrimmage are Jonny Lind, Ariel Garista, Colin Vinson, and TE Spencer Clukey, who all moved from the up to varsity this past season once their freshman season had concluded.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 5

Spectacular write up.

A ton of Jr’s & Soph’s means the pipeline will be fruitful.  There will be a lot of competition for playing time which will help the young guys come on fast.  

I agree with your possible point that we could see one of the QB’s Gaiser or Harney switch to RB with Gaiser being my first choice.  

Once again our skill positions will be stacked and Kruer & Bessler make LB a point of strength as well.  

I believe we are a year away from not just contending, but coming away with a State Title or 2.

GO COLONELS!!

My guess is Emmett Queen starts at QB and Harney is the backup while also coming back at safety and starting at slot receiver. Hopefully, Cash/family does not look elsewhere if he's not the guy at QB; I think he's a 1st team all nky safety the next two years and all the targets Braylon Miller got in the slot this year will now go to him. 

I thought I saw Queen got a UK offer last year and I'm not sure he's there yet. However, if he keeps developing I think in 18 months he will be a total stud and might be at that level.

2 minutes ago, CCHFC said:

My guess is Emmett Queen starts at QB and Harney is the backup while also coming back at safety and starting at slot receiver. Hopefully, Cash/family does not look elsewhere if he's not the guy at QB; I think he's a 1st team all nky safety the next two years and all the targets Braylon Miller got in the slot this year will now go to him. 

I thought I saw Queen got a UK offer last year and I'm not sure he's there yet. However, if he keeps developing I think in 18 months he will be a total stud and might be at that level.

It would surprise me if Queen started. He was 2nd or 3rd string for the Elder Frosh team last season. He does not have any offers as of now. I agree with JOAT on Clukey. I do think O Line is his more natural position but definitely thought he was being considered as a TE. Looks to be a deep position for the Colonels.  

• Like 1

Has Queen already transfered?   I'm surprised some will think he'd start over Harney with having barely any Freshman minutes.  If Elder's GCL staff had him at FR backup QB how in the world would EE decide to start him??  I would think its Harney's to lose.  

I can't wait to see Kruer after another season in the weightroom.  I think he has a big, big year.  Great up and coming, young hungry kids for this program!

We should be pretty good, but we’re looking to replace ~85% of the offensive production, plus defensive studs in Willie/Miller/Reeves and I also think we’re a year away on the lines of scrimmage from being a real contender again. Looking at the roster, schedule and the teams in 4A, I think a really good year looks like:

- 9-1 regular season (2 and 1 vs Beechwood/Highlands/Ryle. I think Ryle will be a tough game week 1 breaking in a new QB)

- State semi appearance. If we run into Boyle before the final four, then this goes out the window. 

Anything above that and I think Coach Eviston and the staff will have done an excellent job. 

2 minutes ago, CCHFC said:

We should be pretty good, but we’re looking to replace ~85% of the offensive production, plus defensive studs in Willie/Miller/Reeves and I also think we’re a year away on the lines of scrimmage from being a real contender again. Looking at the roster, schedule and the teams in 4A, I think a really good year looks like:

- 9-1 regular season (2 and 1 vs Beechwood/Highlands/Ryle. I think Ryle will be a tough game week 1 breaking in a new QB)

- State semi appearance. If we run into Boyle before the final four, then this goes out the window. 

Anything above that and I think Coach Eviston and the staff will have done an excellent job. 

Off the top of my head I will take the above minus one meaning 8-2 and quarterfinal appearance. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FirstTimeLongTime said:

It would surprise me if Queen started. He was 2nd or 3rd string for the Elder Frosh team last season. He does not have any offers as of now. I agree with JOAT on Clukey. I do think O Line is his more natural position but definitely thought he was being considered as a TE. Looks to be a deep position for the Colonels.  

48 minutes ago, RedHawk said:

Has Queen already transfered?   I'm surprised some will think he'd start over Harney with having barely any Freshman minutes.  If Elder's GCL staff had him at FR backup QB how in the world would EE decide to start him??  I would think its Harney's to lose.  

I can't wait to see Kruer after another season in the weightroom.  I think he has a big, big year.  Great up and coming, young hungry kids for this program!

Just my opinion after watching some clips; I think he throws the ball really well and would give us the best chance to win. I don’t know what happened at Elder, but they must have had one of the best freshman QB rooms in the country if he wasn’t starting. You also lose a lot in the secondary going from Cash, who’s the best player on defense (Kruer is also right there), to the 3rd safety. 

In reference to an offer see below. Maybe it’s fake (I’m sure non-commitable), but there is no incentive for a private QB coach to lie about something like this when he just coached up a top 5 overall recruit (Allar). 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, CCHFC said:

Just my opinion after watching some clips; I think he throws the ball really well and would give us the best chance to win. I don’t know what happened at Elder, but they must have had one of the best freshman QB rooms in the country if he wasn’t starting. You also lose a lot in the secondary going from Cash, who’s the best player on defense (Kruer is also right there), to the 3rd safety. 

In reference to an offer see below. Maybe it’s fake (I’m sure non-commitable), but there is no incentive for a private QB coach to lie about something like this when he just coached up a top 5 overall recruit (Allar). 

Having lots of options is a good problem to have. I would not say this X post is fake just that none of the national recruiting sites (Rivals, 247, On3, ESPN etc. ) have it listed. UK has offered 2 QBs in the class of 2027 so it wouldn't be crazy. To your point, almost all offers made to Freshman are Non-Committable as they want to see how they progress!

44 minutes ago, FirstTimeLongTime said:

Having lots of options is a good problem to have. I would not say this X post is fake just that none of the national recruiting sites (Rivals, 247, On3, ESPN etc. ) have it listed. UK has offered 2 QBs in the class of 2027 so it wouldn't be crazy. To your point, almost all offers made to Freshman are Non-Committable as they want to see how they progress!

No doubt. I can see why they offered him, but if he wanted to commit now, I highly doubt they would accept it. 

Regardless, I think Queen/Harney/Gaiser would all provide winning play at the position. But running out Harney at slot and safety and Gaiser as the lead back and corner is very appealing. An 11 personnel grouping of 

RB: Dylan Gaiser
WR: Oliver Link
WR: Donovan Bradshaw/Zach Brooks
Slot: Cash Harney
TE: Tate Kruer/Owen Pitzer 

Is a talented group. I am very, very interested to see what Owen Pitzer looks like come August at Tight End. He has the potential to be a big time player. 

• Like 1