2024 Covington Catholic Colonels

28 minutes ago, UKato91 said:

I like your assessment!  My only correction is that Krallman will be a senior this coming season and will surprise a lot of people.

Thanks for the knowledge.  More Senior leadership and I agree I think He is ready to really breakout.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, UKato91 said:

I like your assessment!  My only correction is that Krallman will be a senior this coming season and will surprise a lot of people.

I agree 100% here; I think he’s pretty good. Big, athletic and has a frame to fill out this offseason. He would have had a nice year last year, expect he was behind an SEC player at both positions he plays so he didn’t rotate in much. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/2/2024 at 3:28 PM, Cov_Cath_Hwy said:

I would agree here.  It boils down to we are a year away from what should be a 3-5 year run that should yield some Titles.  We are going to be anchored by a stout Jr. & Sophomore class that will need a year to season and under them is a Freshmen class that lost 1 game by a touchdown in 8th Grade GCYL dominating pretty much every other team.

Kruer especially, Link, and Bessler will be 3 Sr.’s who will not only provide tried & true leadership, but can hang with almost any player in the area….Kruer will be a breakout player who will be a top 5 player by the end of next season. 

Harney, Pitzer, Sanning, Clukey, Lind, Krallman, Geiser, Queen are all names folks should get very used to hearing for the next 2-3 years.

It will just take one more season for the underclassman talent to develop and provide Championship football for a few years.  The pipeline is very well fortified.

Agree about Kruer, esp if he hits the weight room hard. Excited to watch him this year.

Any word on how the QB race is headed? Is Harney heir-apparent? Is is Queen going to get his first Varsity minutes as a starting QB?

5 hours ago, RedHawk said:

Agree about Kruer, esp if he hits the weight room hard. Excited to watch him this year.

Any word on how the QB race is headed? Is Harney heir-apparent? Is is Queen going to get his first Varsity minutes as a starting QB?

With Harney playing basketball I would imagine he hasn't participated in any football activities.  

Harney led Beechwood as QB to I believe a 6-1 start as a freshman, against the hardest part of their schedule, and was pulled for an unproven QB at that time. With no time as QB1 in preseason. 

Fast forward 2 years and same damn thing could happen to the kid again? Crazy. 

Proven winner. How can you NOT start there?

8 minutes ago, Breds82 said:

I thought Harney was a DB for CovCath. Was he ever going to get a shot at QB?

He is a starting Safety.  The QB situation is currently unresolved as they have 3 quality guys that could step right in next year with no problem……Harney, Queen, and Gaiser.

Harney playing basketball and missing football until the end of March will not hurt His chances.  Most likely there is no decision until a couple of weeks before game 1…. even more likely is that we see a healthy dose of both Queen and Harney for the first few weeks.  

Whoever does get the starting nod, I would highly expect a package or 2 for the other QB.

I give the edge/nod to Harney at this point has He has a full year in the system as backup and His previous starting Varsity experience with His very impressive showing as a Frosh for Beechwood varsity.

Gaiser I just see being better getting the ball in space.  He will be a matchup nightmare as a WR and would just run by folks as the starting RB….and yes He is beyond talented enough to step into either of those positions and start and excel.

3 great options is a nice problem to have.

• Like 3

The wide receiving core just picked up a nice addition to the squad. Junior Jake Stewart will be back on the team for his senior season.   Jake was the leading receiver on the freshman team his freshman year.  He gave it up for basketball but is deciding to return for his senior year.  If they can get him up to speed during spring ball, he could be a big asset to the receiving core.   His return could potentially make whoever might be QB1’s (my opinion is it will be Harney) life a lot easier.   If you have Link 6’3” ish that has serious leaping ability, Stewart 6’3” ish with serious leaping abilities, TE Nick Krallman at 6’4’’ with speed size and strength and then add Geiser/Sanning at slot and Bessler at RB who has serious strength speed and physicality.  Throw in Kruer at any of those positions and you have the makings for a nightmarish situation for the defenses. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

23 minutes ago, UKato91 said:

The wide receiving core just picked up a nice addition to the squad. Junior Jake Stewart will be back on the team for his senior season.   Jake was the leading receiver on the freshman team his freshman year.  He gave it up for basketball but is deciding to return for his senior year.  If they can get him up to speed during spring ball, he could be a big asset to the receiving core.   His return could potentially make whoever might be QB1’s (my opinion is it will be Harney) life a lot easier.   If you have Link 6’3” ish that has serious leaping ability, Stewart 6’3” ish with serious leaping abilities, TE Nick Krallman at 6’4’’ with speed size and strength and then add Geiser/Sanning at slot and Bessler at RB who has serious strength speed and physicality.  Throw in Kruer at any of those positions and you have the makings for a nightmarish situation for the defenses. 

As always spot on with the good info and analysis to boot.  Nightmarish indeed.

Go Colonels!!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, UKato91 said:

I remember this kid being pretty good. Hopefully he can get back into the swing of things in Spring Ball. 

Not including Harney (who I think ends up there), I think we have 5 receivers that can contribute if Stewart gets back into it, plus 3 TEs that are really good players for NKY. 

Hoping to see Oliver Link take the next step and become a real dude that I thought he was going to be after his first few games as a soph (ex. 800 yards, 10 TDs, Gtown/TMC level player)

• 1 month later...

Has Spring Ball started yet?  Any updates since workouts have started?

I think again this off-season the theme may end up being how do we look up front on both sides of the ball.  That is the real question.

I know we have a 3 way race for QB, but I love all our options there and we will end up being pretty good at that spot.

who will be protecting that QB and who be getting after the opposing teams QB’s for us this year?

5 hours ago, Cov_Cath_Hwy said:

Has Spring Ball started yet?  Any updates since workouts have started?

Go to Khsaa.org. Their website shows spring football dates for every high school in Kentucky who chooses to conduct spring football. 

• Thanks 2

10 hours ago, Voice of Reason said:

2023 spring dates are on there but not 2024.

Then they are tardy. They normally keep that stuff current. 

• Like 1