2024 Covington Catholic Colonels

On 3/30/2024 at 7:23 AM, Cov_Cath_Hwy said:

Has Spring Ball started yet?  Any updates since workouts have started?

I think again this off-season the theme may end up being how do we look up front on both sides of the ball.  That is the real question.

I know we have a 3 way race for QB, but I love all our options there and we will end up being pretty good at that spot.

who will be protecting that QB and who be getting after the opposing teams QB’s for us this year?

I think the OL will be anywhere from pretty suspect to good depending on how the new starters adapt. Mason Dietz and Andrew Huber both return as starters at RT and RG. They’ve got some pretty good size and should be above average NKY starting linemen.

Isaac Mason and Tucker Evans both got some time last year and will probably be in the mix. Maybe there’s another rising junior or senior that breaks in. 

It wouldn’t surprise me to see multiple sophomore start and it would be any of the guys listed in the bullpen on the 1st post. Of those guys, I actually think Johnny Lind will end up being an above average starter by the end of the year.

If the sophs are good right away, I think we’re closer to good. If not, then I think it’s pretty suspect. 

• Like 1

On 3/30/2024 at 7:23 AM, Cov_Cath_Hwy said:

Has Spring Ball started yet?  Any updates since workouts have started?

I think again this off-season the theme may end up being how do we look up front on both sides of the ball.  That is the real question.

I know we have a 3 way race for QB, but I love all our options there and we will end up being pretty good at that spot.

who will be protecting that QB and who be getting after the opposing teams QB’s for us this year?

I have zero idea how the D Line will look lol. Ben Reeves was by far our best player there and I think covered up a lot.  Isaac Mason will play a bunch at nose and he can use his quickness to be disruptive. I think some young guys like Lind and Spencer Clukey will be in the mix, but after that, I really don’t know. 

I’d imagine Nick Krallman will take Rodriguez’s spot as the strong side edge player. As much as I think Nick is a good player, that’s certainly a drop off. 

IMO we’re going to need some really good LB play out of Tate Kruer/Owen Pitzer/Tucker Evans and Terry to be on his A game as DC to help out the DL early in the year. Highlands week 2 is going to be real interesting. 

• Like 1

On 4/4/2024 at 12:11 PM, CCHFC said:

I have zero idea how the D Line will look lol. Ben Reeves was by far our best player there and I think covered up a lot.  Isaac Mason will play a bunch at nose and he can use his quickness to be disruptive. I think some young guys like Lind and Spencer Clukey will be in the mix, but after that, I really don’t know. 

I’d imagine Nick Krallman will take Rodriguez’s spot as the strong side edge player. As much as I think Nick is a good player, that’s certainly a drop off. 

IMO we’re going to need some really good LB play out of Tate Kruer/Owen Pitzer/Tucker Evans and Terry to be on his A game as DC to help out the DL early in the year. Highlands week 2 is going to be real interesting. 

Unfortunately, for unknown reasons Isaac has left school.   He's been gone for nearly a month.   Krallman could be anywhere from MLB, OLB to defensive end.   He started out last season at MLB then got moved to OLB and finished at DE.   Could see Bessler at OLB, DE or Nose as well , but Bessler is the only senior that can play both the WIL and SAM positions so, not sure where that leaves him.    

• Thanks 2

On 4/8/2024 at 1:25 PM, UKato91 said:

Unfortunately, for unknown reasons Isaac has left school.   He's been gone for nearly a month.   Krallman could be anywhere from MLB, OLB to defensive end.   He started out last season at MLB then got moved to OLB and finished at DE.   Could see Bessler at OLB, DE or Nose as well , but Bessler is the only senior that can play both the WIL and SAM positions so, not sure where that leaves him.    

Bessler is a nice player. I think he’ll probably stick as a slot defender type, but is strong/athletic enough to play in different spots. I also think he’ll get a good amount of carries on offense too. 

• Like 1

On 4/8/2024 at 1:25 PM, UKato91 said:

Dang, that's a huge bummer about Isaac Mason. I was told Ben McEvoy has dropped football for for his senior year as well. McEvoy was a really solid utility player to have on the team...solid running back, decent receiver, and not a bad defensive back either. And granted, Owen Leen and Evan Pitzer were our top rushers by a big margin, and then Braylon Miller came in third behind them for rushing yards, but McEvoy would have actually been our leading rusher returning for this upcoming season had he stayed on the team.

Spring practice starts on Monday. I'm really interested to find out what Coach Eviston comes up with for our offensive backfield.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Colonels_Wear_Blue said:

I was told Ben McEvoy has dropped football for for his senior year as well. McEvoy was a really solid utility player to have on the team...

I agree and hate it for the team. He’s a great football stud. 

Heard he’s trying to follow in Dads footsteps (Casey was in Reds minors until injury) with baseball and will play fall baseball.  Word is he can throw 90mph but I haven’t seen him on the mound this year for CCH. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/1/2024 at 11:15 AM, Colonels_Wear_Blue said:

Colonels vs. Birds in the 2024 home opener on August 30th. Love it!

I'm pretty positive this season's schedule is just the same as last years with the locations swapped for the games. I know for sure that those first 6 games are correct.

That would make the 2024 schedule:

Aug 23 at Ryle
Aug 30 vs. Highlands
Sep 6 vs. Simon Kenton
Sep 13 at Dixie Heights
Sep 20 vs. Beechwood
Sep 27 at Holmes (District)
Oct 4 vs. Grant County (District)
Oct 11 - BYE
Oct 18 at Harrison County (District)
Oct 25 vs. Mason County (District)
Nov 1 at Campbell County

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Colonels_Wear_Blue said:

I'm pretty positive this season's schedule is just the same as last years with the locations swapped for the games. I know for sure that those first 6 games are correct.

That would make the 2024 schedule:

Aug 23 at Ryle
Aug 30 vs. Highlands
Sep 6 vs. Simon Kenton
Sep 13 at Dixie Heights
Sep 20 vs. Beechwood
Sep 27 at Holmes (District)
Oct 4 vs. Grant County (District)
Oct 11 - BYE
Oct 18 at Harrison County (District)
Oct 25 vs. Mason County (District)
Nov 1 at Campbell County

Too bad they couldn't make a game with Cooper work this season.  That would have been really entertaining.