2024 Covington Catholic Colonels

On 1/8/2024 at 8:10 PM, TheConch said:

Just received a text with some good news that will allow me to sleep soundly tonight, unless Michigan loses, but the Colonels started their off season program this evening, and Coach Eviston was there leading the charge. 

So am I understanding correctly that now the basketball and football programs are both handing their own off season and conditioning programs instead of using CCH's in house strength and conditioning coach? If so then that leaves what, soccer, baseball and wrestling conditioning in the hands of Atallah? If EE just made the move to take back his off season program, then that doesn't sound like a guy who's planning to jump to a new job at Brossart.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, The Oracle said:

So am I understanding correctly that now the basketball and football programs are both handing their own off season and conditioning programs instead of using CCH's in house strength and conditioning coach? If so then that leaves what, soccer, baseball and wrestling conditioning in the hands of Atallah? If EE just made the move to take back his off season program, then that doesn't sound like a guy who's planning to jump to a new job at Brossart.

Correct, which is exactly why I was excited. I guess I should have elaborated more, as people thought I had meant, by leading the charge, that he just showed up, and therefore could still be looking at another job. 

But yes, I was told via that text that he and his staff were running the program, no longer using their S&C coach. (Which is a different story, guess EE has been very unhappy with strength and development of the team, and was awakened during the Boyle game.)

I’d have a hard time believing if he was leaving, his last act would be, hey kids, we are switching things up, just for them to have to go back to last year’s offseason a couple weeks later. 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
22 hours ago, Colonels_Wear_Blue said:

Colonels vs. Birds in the 2024 home opener on August 30th. Love it!

I may be in the minority, but I'd prefer if this game was deeper into the season.  That way, neither team can say "It was the first game. We were not in sync yet. If this game was played today, the outcome would be different.  We're a much better team now, than when the season started. Etc..."

• Like 1

4 very loseable games out of the first 5 with a mostly new group of guys touching the ball on offense. I like getting Highlands early though since I think they have a lot of turnover as well. 

At Ryle to open the season is going to be a tough game as well, but as long as Harney is at safety I feel confident about our secondary being able to hang with their passing game. 

10 minutes ago, CCHFC said:

4 very loseable games out of the first 5 with a mostly new group of guys touching the ball on offense. I like getting Highlands early though since I think they have a lot of turnover as well. 

At Ryle to open the season is going to be a tough game as well, but as long as Harney is at safety I feel confident about our secondary being able to hang with their passing game. 

Terry Brown and co. may have their hands full if Eddie decides to give Harney the nod at QB. 

32 minutes ago, TheConch said:

Terry Brown and co. may have their hands full if Eddie decides to give Harney the nod at QB. 

Yeah I agree. Even though a Dylan Gaiser/Zach Brooks corner tandem should be very good for NKY standards and Tate Kruer is a really good player at linebacker…I’ve got a lot of questions about DLine size and talent and where we’re getting a pass rush from, since the most talented players there will be sophomores. 

1 hour ago, CCHFC said:

Yeah I agree. Even though a Dylan Gaiser/Zach Brooks corner tandem should be very good for NKY standards and Tate Kruer is a really good player at linebacker…I’ve got a lot of questions about DLine size and talent and where we’re getting a pass rush from, since the most talented players there will be sophomores. 

CCH usually doesn't look for size on their defensive line, do they? My memory is it is unusual for CCH to have a big defensive line.

1 hour ago, Voice of Reason said:

CCH usually doesn't look for size on their defensive line, do they? My memory is it is unusual for CCH to have a big defensive line.

You’re right but it didn’t matter since you had Mayer/Kam Butler/Aiden Jones playing off ball linebacker for 6 straight years that were all bigger/faster/stronger than basically every OL and they just cleaned up everything.

When your LBs are 200 lbs and not 230lbs, then it matters to keep them free to make plays. 

Last year Ben Reeves was the only guy up there making plays and he was 230 lbs. I don’t think we will have that caliber of player until 25 with Lind and Clukey and maybe another guy from that class. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, CCHFC said:

You’re right but it didn’t matter since you had Mayer/Kam Butler/Aiden Jones playing off ball linebacker for 6 straight years that were all bigger/faster/stronger than basically every OL and they just cleaned up everything.

When your LBs are 200 lbs and not 230lbs, then it matters to keep them free to make plays. 

Last year Ben Reeves was the only guy up there making plays and he was 230 lbs. I don’t think we will have that caliber of player until 25 with Lind and Clukey and maybe another guy from that class. 

I would agree here.  It boils down to we are a year away from what should be a 3-5 year run that should yield some Titles.  We are going to be anchored by a stout Jr. & Sophomore class that will need a year to season and under them is a Freshmen class that lost 1 game by a touchdown in 8th Grade GCYL dominating pretty much every other team.

Kruer especially, Link, and Bessler will be 3 Sr.’s who will not only provide tried & true leadership, but can hang with almost any player in the area….Kruer will be a breakout player who will be a top 5 player by the end of next season. 

Harney, Pitzer, Sanning, Clukey, Lind, Krallman, Geiser, Queen are all names folks should get very used to hearing for the next 2-3 years.

It will just take one more season for the underclassman talent to develop and provide Championship football for a few years.  The pipeline is very well fortified.

• Like 2

On 2/2/2024 at 3:28 PM, Cov_Cath_Hwy said:

I would agree here.  It boils down to we are a year away from what should be a 3-5 year run that should yield some Titles.  We are going to be anchored by a stout Jr. & Sophomore class that will need a year to season and under them is a Freshmen class that lost 1 game by a touchdown in 8th Grade GCYL dominating pretty much every other team.

Kruer especially, Link, and Bessler will be 3 Sr.’s who will not only provide tried & true leadership, but can hang with almost any player in the area….Kruer will be a breakout player who will be a top 5 player by the end of next season. 

Harney, Pitzer, Sanning, Clukey, Lind, Krallman, Geiser, Queen are all names folks should get very used to hearing for the next 2-3 years.

It will just take one more season for the underclassman talent to develop and provide Championship football for a few years.  The pipeline is very well fortified.

I like your assessment!  My only correction is that Krallman will be a senior this coming season and will surprise a lot of people.

• Like 2