Kentucky's Top 15 Football Dynasties

Ram

Beechwood playoff stats for last 10 years:

3 Titles

1 Runnerup

4 Semi finals

Only twice in the last 10 years has Beechwood not made the final four. In 2006 they lost in the 2nd round to the eventual state champion NCC (who Beechwood beat in the regular season). In 2005, Yeagle's last season, they lost to Lexington Christian in the second round.

How many schools have been in the final four 8 or more times in the last 10 years? I am sure Trinity has and am pretty sure Highlands has. Mayfield has been to 8 of 10 semifinals. Who else?

Should be on the list without question.

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Awful lot of years over the past decade where the only losses for Male, Manual and Ballard were to Trinity, St. Xavier and each other.

Now, as I said above, it's a ludicrous "dynasty" ranking, but in other terms, it's probably not far off from reality.

I'm not sure that's accurate Getslow. When I looked back and scanned some of the records at khsaa, I found these three losing to just as many other Louisville schools and teams out in the state.

That's CLEARLY not what they based this ranking on. The question they're asking clearly isn't "Who's won the most titles?" or even "Who's dominated their class?" The question they've decided to base this thing on is "Who have been the best teams in all of Kentucky over the last decade?" And given that question, I don't think their final result is all that far off.

Exactly and that is why several of those teams are not deserving. With 0 titles, those teams don't deserve to be listed period.

St. X and BG met 4 times in the last 10 years (2005, 2006, 2011, 2012). They split. None of the games were decided by more than a TD (each won by 8 once). Four of BG's five best teams of the timespan were in those years (adding 2007).

Safe to assume X gets 2009 when they ran over Trinity twice, which beat BG 9-0 that same year.

I think that's about the best that can be proven. You can make arguments for some of the other years. 2007 & 2010 are probably the best cases for BG. I'd feel comfortable in placing 2004 & 2008 in the X camp. 2003 would have been interesting.

All in all, we know they went 2-2 against each other. I think BG gets at least one more (probably 2010). I'd say at best BG goes 4-6 against X in last 10 years, as low as 3-7.

I just saw this post. I have no disagreement with this.

I agree that you can't be a "dynasty" without winning a state championship. That would have to be at least a minimum requirement.

What surprised me is the opponents record of X versus T and Highlands. The opponents of X actually won more and lost fewer than those of T and Highlands,especially T who purportedly plays the hardest schedule around. This isn't criricizing anyone, just surprising to me. The numbers really weren't that close.

Trinity's would be better if X had been uo to their usual standards tg e 'll ast two years.

Top 4 teams are right; I would have Highlands over St. Xavier. After that, I don't know what the majority of the others are being based on. No idea how Mayfield, Beechwood, and Danville isn't included.

Not sure about Mayfield or Beechwood but Danville has been mediocre by their standards the last 10 years. They haven't had many Thanksgiving games in the last 10 years and that would be why they aren't listed IMO.

This "dynasty" ranking obviously overweighted regular season wins. It appears that a 6A regular season win faaaaarrr outweighs a 1A victory. That, obviously, benefits the big schools who play 6A schools in district and out of district. It hurts Mayfield and Beechwood, who play higher classes for 5-6 games a year, but then have to play 4-5 district games. It would appear that state championships, state runner-up, and semi-finals in one's own class should rank much higher than regular season victories, in order to balance out the difference.

This "dynasty" ranking obviously overweighted regular season wins. It appears that a 6A regular season win faaaaarrr outweighs a 1A victory. That, obviously, benefits the big schools who play 6A schools in district and out of district. It hurts Mayfield and Beechwood, who play higher classes for 5-6 games a year, but then have to play 4-5 district games. It would appear that state championships, state runner-up, and semi-finals in one's own class should rank much higher than regular season victories, in order to balance out the difference.

Makes sense.

I am not as up to date as most of you on football across the entire state so I ask this question. If this was a ranking of the top 15 teams in the state over the last 10 years instead of top 15 dynasties, would this ranking be closer to accurate?
Yes, in my opinion. I think that is what this list is supposed to be, based on their computer strength ratings. Their error, if you will, is they used a misnomer in "dynasty", at least as most of us define the word.

I am not as up to date as most of you on football across the entire state so I ask this question. If this was a ranking of the top 15 teams in the state over the last 10 years instead of top 15 dynasties, would this ranking be closer to accurate?

Not in my opinion. Bowling Green would be at #4 and Boyle County would or should be higher as well if we were ranking teams from the last 10 years. Both schools would or should be 4 & 5 IMO.

Not sure about Mayfield or Beechwood but Danville has been mediocre by their standards the last 10 years. They haven't had many Thanksgiving games in the last 10 years and that would be why they aren't listed IMO.

I know 10 years is an arbitrary number, but if 10 is the magic number Danville can still hold up pretty well with most in the state. During that time they have one championship (2003), two runners-up (2004, 2006), one loss in state semifinals (2010), two regional final losses, and four second round losses. The problem with Danville, though, is that if they don't make something happen in the next year or two all of their successes in this "10 year" window will disappear and they'll start to look a whole lot like many other Kentucky teams that go 7-5 and lose in the second round every year.