Kentucky's Top 15 Football Dynasties

Ram

I know 10 years is an arbitrary number, but if 10 is the magic number Danville can still hold up pretty well with most in the state. During that time they have one championship (2003), two runners-up (2004, 2006), one loss in state semifinals (2010), two regional final losses, and four second round losses. The problem with Danville, though, is that if they don't make something happen in the next year or two all of their successes in this "10 year" window will disappear and they'll start to look a whole lot like many other Kentucky teams that go 7-5 and lose in the second round every year.

While true I do believe their recent seasons weigh heaviest on my mind. That is still only 4 seasons out of 10 that may be satisfactory to Ads fans. The way people act about Danville being omitted you'd think their resume from the last 10 years would be thicker.

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What world are you guys living in? Danville isn't deserving in the last 10 years. Some of you aren't paying attention.
It just depends on the time period considered, I'll expand to 30 years and we can include Danville.:lol: For longevity and consistancy I think Highlands would have to be the best.

In my Opinion "Dynasty" would mean at LEAST 3 State Titles. Six of the teams listed have ZERO....many have 1- hardly a "Dynasty" by any measure.

Agree completely. Dynasty implies teams that dominate their respective classes by winning state titles and advancing deep into the playoffs when they don't win the title.

Whole bunch of teams here that don't qualify. You just can't list big schools and justify it by saying they might have won if not for teams xyz. You either win the big one or you don't. If you don't, you are not a dynasty.

Ten years is a "Run" not a "Dynasty"...a dynasty takes decades to build. So, if you are looking at the top dynasties (sp?) in Kentucky, then you look for the teams that have been winning for decades. Look and see which teams were winning state titles in the seventies, in the eighties, in the nineties, all the way through last year...those are your dynasty programs. Now, I'm a Mayfield fan, so of course Im putting my Cardinals on the list. But when I think of the greatest high school football dynasty in Kentucky...I firmly believe that list starts with Highlands...with all respect to the other great programs in our state.

Ten years is a "Run" not a "Dynasty"...a dynasty takes decades to build. So, if you are looking at the top dynasties (sp?) in Kentucky, then you look for the teams that have been winning for decades. Look and see which teams were winning state titles in the seventies, in the eighties, in the nineties, all the way through last year...those are your dynasty programs. Now, I'm a Mayfield fan, so of course Im putting my Cardinals on the list. But when I think of the greatest high school football dynasty in Kentucky...I firmly believe that list starts with Highlands...with all respect to the other great programs in our state.

In this definition.. this list is far more subjective..especially outside of the Top 5 or 6:

1. Trinity

2. Highlands

3. St. X

4.Beechwood

5. Danville

6. Mayfield

7. Male

8. Cov Cath

9. Ft. Campbell

10. NewCath

11. Belfry

12. Bardstown

13. Paducah Tilghman

14. Bowling Green

15. Corbin

Teams Who Have Been Consistently Very Strong for Decades, But Without the Finals Appearances:

- Bell County

- Ashland

- Somerset

- Pikeville

- Owensboro Catholic

- Harrodsburg/Mercer County

- Manual

Teams Who Have Numerous Titles/Finals, But Do Not Have the Longevity:

- Boyle County

- Central

- Breathitt County

Dynasty implies a long run.

The true #1 dynasty in Kentucky football with state championships both on the field and "mythical" is the school that has at least one per decade starting in 1930:

HIGHLANDS,

the list of others starts at #2.

Take your Highlands blinders off and read the article, please. It clearly states "Here is a list of the Top 15 Dynasties in Kentucky since 2003 based on wins, state titles and strength of schedule." You're correct that the word dynasty does imply a long run, but this is specifically referencing dynasties since 2003. Trinity wins in both the state championship tally, and strength of schedule tally, without question. Highlands is the pretty obvious number two team. Mythical state championships are great and all, but are not pertinent to the discussion.

I agree that you can't be a "dynasty" without winning a state championship. That would have to be at least a minimum requirement.

What surprised me is the opponents record of X versus T and Highlands. The opponents of X actually won more and lost fewer than those of T and Highlands,especially T who purportedly plays the hardest schedule around. This isn't criricizing anyone, just surprising to me. The numbers really weren't that close.

St X's schedule has been considerably weaker than some others. Playing Fern Creek, Doss, Fairdale, yada, yada, yada.....

Dynasty implies a long run.

The true #1 dynasty in Kentucky football with state championships both on the field and "mythical" is the school that has at least one per decade starting in 1930:

HIGHLANDS,

the list of others starts at #2.

When looking at the bigger picture, beyond the time frame of the article, this is accurate. Trinity is a relative newcomer in the long span of Kentucky football. Highlands has been around since 1915, and has had remarkable success over that time period.

When looking at the bigger picture, beyond the time frame of the article, this is accurate. Trinity is a relative newcomer in the long span of Kentucky football. Highlands has been around since 1915, and has had remarkable success over that time period.

The fact that Highlands has been around since 1915 is not relevant to the thread though. We are discussing a list of dynasties that is set in the window of 2003-2013. They set the parameters that it be based on number of state titles, strength of schedule, and number of wins in that time period.

Of the 144 games that both teams have played, Highlands has two more wins than Trinity in that time period. Trinity has one more state championship than Highlands in that time period. Highlands certainly has played strong schedules, but I don't think there are any folks who would challenge that Trinity has a tougher schedule year-to-year. Trinity, thereby, wins in two of the three deciding parameters.

And yet Trinity has the same amount of state titles as Highlands and Highlands is claiming superiority? Why? Because Highlands has been around longer?