Our friend Alabama Larry has passed.

rockmom

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have been reflecting on Alabama Larry most of the day.

He was a Christian brother who strengthened me and my faith through his posts even though we had never met.

I will miss his posts about his ongoing battles with some radio hosts and their view of Christianity.

I will miss his stories of him and Mama.

Most of all I will simply miss his love for those seeking Christ whether they knew it or not. His desire to witness to the lost through his posts.

I am a better Christian for having read his posts and will miss him dearly.

Hard to imagine I feel such a loss for a BGP friend I have never personally met.

Larry and I were bitter rivals…

Well, in all actuality, I was probably the bitter rival; as such emotions were not part of who Larry was as a person. When we first met, here on BGP, I saw him as a Bible thumping, closed-minded Catholic hater. I don’t know how he saw me, because I never took the time to ask in those days. He and I went round and round on many occasions over various topics of faith and morality.

But an odd thing happened over time. Larry seemed to grow more open to an ecumenical spirit, and I started to grow closer to God. Somewhere along these separate paths we met on common ground. Here is what he wrote to me in a PM at the moment that we broke the ice:

The barbs with you and I are forgotten long ago. Most people I have dealings with they don't last long as a minute, but if they continue just to hurt me then I have to respond, and there are only a few people like that…

God has given each special gifts and it’s up to us to use these gifts. Here is my number at home and my cell...I'm with A T & T on my cell and have unlimited time on my home phone, give me a call when you want.

He also told me this story that day. I feel sure he won’t mind me sharing it with you:

I was 5 years old and went under in a lake and couldn't get my feet. I was actually seeing the skyline fade away, when my 12 year old aunt rushed to me. I remember thinking, “I want to breathe and play baseball.” My dad was watching skiers, and was still watching when my Aunt carried me ashore. She was the only one to see me go under. Fifty-one years ago…and I remember like it was this morning.

From that day forward we became the best of friends. In fact, when I suffered my heart problems last year, he contacted me in the hospital with words of encouragement and prayer. He even made plans to come all the way up here to see me, but I got out before he had the chance. I never forgot that gesture.

I was honored to have Larry as a member of a prayer group I have on Facebook. One day, he sensed that I was waning in my determination to serve the Lord to the fullest extent possible. At the time I was considering the priesthood, but was in the process of shifting gears,toward what Larry feared was a lesser goal. He wrote me with the following words. I believe these may be the very last words he ever said to me:

Let the Holy Spirit guide you, listen to your heart (1st Samuel 16:7), let God decide the direction you should take, as he has always done; listen to him now. Find that Peace that, when you follow him, you couldn't change your mind for anything on earth. Only he can take away a call to serve him (Romans 11).

Not sure of the verse, and Bible not close by, you actually have no choice in this matter (Romans 8:29). God does, man changes, God never changes. If anyone tells you different tell them to get behind you as Jesus told Peter. But don't call them Satan.

Larry was a man who never quite agreed with what we Catholics are all about. Yet, here he was encouraging me toward service to God, within the realm of my own faith tradition. That’s the kind of man he was.

My heart breaks for his family and friends – here on BGP, and elsewhere. I will miss his wisdom and his example of living faith. It’s funny though; as someone said earlier in the thread, I feel sad for my own loss; but at the same time I can’t help smiling. Because I know in my heart that Larry was right…and I know that he made it. He is resting in God’s loving hands as we speak. And I bet he’s up there asking God to let him post on BGP just one more time.

If he could do that, I think he would want to say, “See? I told you so! God bless you all, my BGP family! G’nite Mama…and Roll Tide!”

Randomly decided to watch the movie Courageous last night on my Xbox and I can't help but think it was for a reason. For those of you that aren't familiar with it the film is about being a Christian and being father, from what I've heard, read, seen etc I can't help but think Larry excelled at both.

I remember Alabama Larry posting about the care of his elderly mother a few years ago. I responded by saying Mother's are very special people and he said, yes they are! I know he is in heaven today. I hope and pray his wife and children will find comfort in knowing he was a very special person. I always enjoyed reading his posts about his family. He had such great passion, love and joy on many things in life.

This is truly sad news. Like many I never met the man, but enjoyed reading his post. Moments like this put into perspective the words of Matthew 24:36...... "No one knows about that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father." BGP is lessened by his passing. My prayers to his family.

Four years ago yesterday I had open heart surgery. When I was finally transferred to a regular room out of ICU I started receiving phone calls. My husband would answer the calls and talk to each person because I was just too weak to carry on a conversation. One night the phone rang and MrRk answered it and talked to someone for a little while and told the person on the other line that I just wasn't up to talking. When I asked him who it was MrRk said, "he said to tell you that it was Alabama Larry and that he just wanted you to know that he was thinking of you and that he had you in his prayers". I told him later that I was so very touched by that phone call. He didn't have to make the call but as a good christian man he just felt the need to let me know that he was praying for me. This news of his death is heartbreaking and now I want him to know that I have him and his family in my prayers. May God welcome him home into his loving arms and may "Alabama Larry" know that I was proud to call him my friend.

I was very shocked, and saddened to hear of Larry's passing this morning. I echo the sentiments of so many of the post already made. Even though I never met Larry, I could tell that he was a genuinely caring man, and truly cared about seeing others come to know Christ. My heart breaks for his family, but I rejoice in knowing that Larry is now in Heaven with his Lord and Savior. Cya soon Larry.

I was very shocked, and saddened to hear of Larry's passing this morning. I echo the sentiments of so many of the post already made. Even though I never met Larry, I could tell that he was a genuinely caring man, and truly cared about seeing others come to know Christ. My heart breaks for his family, but I rejoice in knowing that Larry is now in Heaven with his Lord and Savior. Cya soon Larry.

Well said.

The only way to sum up how I feel.... speechless. No matter how you felt about AL, I think we all knew that he was a genuinely good guy that meant well in all facets of life. The world is mourning today, but we are all better people for having known Larry. Roll Tide.