Our friend Alabama Larry has passed.

rockmom

With as many debates AL was in on BGP and with as many shots he took with aplomb my guess is the Lord said "You've done all you can with those folks. Come on home."

Dude could not be rattled when it came to standing up for what he believed in. He certainly walked it.

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Terrible news. I know Larry loved his family, he always spoke of them like they were with him at all times. I never knew Larry, but I think I would have liked him if I had known him.

I hope someone from Louisville will follow and keep us updated on Larry's son's quest to be a kicker. I know Larry would be proud of him no matter how that endeavor concludes.

Larry and I definitely never saw eye to eye, but I have a deep respect for anyone who believes what they believe and stands up for it. I'm sad now that I never got to meet him. My thoughts are with his family.

Very saddening to learn of this. A good man has left us. Thoughts and prayers for his family. Thank you AL for all of your contributions to the site and more importantly, for all your contributions to your community. Many of us will pass wondering if we ever bettered others; AL didn't have that concern.

Wow...I don't know what to say. Not too many things on BGP give me cold chills. I really can't believe this news. I look forward to meeting AL one day in heaven. This place certainly won't be the same without him.

I don't know about the rest of you, but I won't be able to look at the Religion Forum without thinking about Alabama Larry. Roll Tide! RIP!

Larry and I definitely never saw eye to eye, but I have a deep respect for anyone who believes what they believe and stands up for it. I'm sad now that I never got to meet him. My thoughts are with his family.

Absolutely agreed. My prayers and thoughts are with him and his family. I have no doubt he is with God now.

Death always saddens those who know someone, and rightfully so. Still, there is a quote from C.S. Lewis that has helped me several times over to put the situation in perspective when considering the earthly loss of a loved one:

"You don't have a soul. You are a soul. You have a body."

This life is only the stage of preparation for our souls to go and be with God. Even with the differences we had in our religious beliefs, I believe Larry did a fine job in his preparation.

It's a sad, sad day! AL you will be missed! Prayers for you and your family. I will miss his committment to his faith. He could always pull out a good Bible verse when needed. Today I will celebrate your life (even though I only knew you from BGP) by spending an that extra moment with my son and my wife.

In Memoriam 1

Journeys are deceiving things.

The road goes on and on.

You think it will never end.

And suddenly it does.

Jesus knew your struggle.

He went before you,

dragging a deadweight of wood

while the road climbed

beneath a burning sun.

Your cross grew heavier

with every year and finally

with every step. But at the end

The Lord stood, waiting.

Eternal rest grant unto him, O Lord, and let perpetual light shine upon him.