Our friend Alabama Larry has passed.

rockmom

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just saw this a few minutes ago and have been crying too hard to post. Larry was one of the kindest people that I have ever known, though I never met him face to face.

Here's a little story that I'll share. Several years ago, our football team had an usually good team and a good deal of that was due to a talented running back. One night during practice, a freak abdominal injury occurred in which the kid had to have surgery and very nearly died. The kid didn't have a lot in the way of family, so I was trying to visit him daily in the hospital and take care of what I could.

Larry messaged me about going to see the young man. As you know, Larry was always involved in the Fellowship of Christian Athletes. He did go visit the kid and evidently I just missed meeting Larry by a few minutes. He brought the young man a Bible and prayed with him, before watching some Saturday afternoon football with him. It really touched the kid. I could see in his face that having Larry, someone that he only knew from reading BGP, come and visit him meant something to him.

I asked the young man, "what did he look like?" The kid grinned and said, "exactly what you would expect Alabama Larry to look like."

I've been friends with Larry of Facebook for a while now. In looking on his Facebook page, his last post on Friday was wishing all mothers a happy Mothers Day and how he missed his own mother and mother-in-law and how they didn't get the chance to see his sons grow up. Larry loved his wife, loved his boys and, above all, loved his God.

In honor of Larry, I am going to change my profile pic. The Tide just got a new fan.

It feels so strange to me to be shocked over a loss through the internet. I never really talked with Larry on here, but I always read his post when I saw him in a thread. This has really shaken me more than I ever thought it would.

Roll Tide...

I'm shocked and so very deeply saddened by this news! I'll have more to say later, but need to get ready for church now. And that seems especially fitting, since Our Lord was first and foremost in Larry's life. I will miss you my brother. :cry:

I am very shocked and saddened with his sudden passing. My entire families thoughts and prayers are AL's family (including his BGP family). You will be missed Alabama Larry. Roll Tide.

Very unfortunate news. May faith carry his family through this difficult time.

I am always interested to learn more about the folks behind the BGP screen. I know it may take time, but with he families blessing, could someone post a bio of Alabama Larry?

I wish I had had the opportunity to know him better, but I can tell you the following:

AL was the most genuine person I've ever met. He was exactly as you see on BGP. His commitment to God was easily the most deeply rooted of anyone I have ever met. He loved his three sons and wife wholly.

He suffered from a disorder brought in by chemicals he came in contact with while an engineer with the railroad that caused short term memory loss that frustrated him.

But I think the most important thing to know about Alabama Larry was that he was an extraordinarily caring and loving man, and he lived even those he didn't know.

I was floored when I heard the news. Larry and his family are in my thoughts.

TB&G's story was a good one, I have never met Larry but from Facebook he looks exactly what I would expect Alabama Larry to look like:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]36520[/ATTACH]

Also from Facebook, Larry was born February 19th, 1953 and graduated from Iroquois High School in 1971. He was a retired Train Engineer from CSX and he listed his Hometown as Muscle Shoals, Alabama. And of course in the About Larry section:

Go Yankees and Roll Tide Roll

RIP Larry

Larry.jpg

I wish I had had the opportunity to know him better, but I can tell you the following:

AL was the most genuine person I've ever met. He was exactly as you see on BGP. His commitment to God was easily the most deeply rooted of anyone I have ever met. He loved his three sons and wife wholly.

He suffered from a disorder brought in by chemicals he came in contact with while an engineer with the railroad that caused short term memory loss that frustrated him.

But I think the most important thing to know about Alabama Larry was that he was an extraordinarily caring and loving man, and he lived even those he didn't know.

I am so sad that I had to work the night of the Male game. I would have loved to have been there with you then when you sat with them.

When I first started dealing with him in the threads on religion years ago he used to infuriate me. Then after a time I saw him as the genuine individual he was, his questions towards Catholics weren't the condescending things I had dealt with before. He was actually being as nice as can be in what he was saying, the downside of reading tone via the textual medium. Ever since then I respected him, I may not have agreed with him on some things but I certainly respected everything he had to say.

I just can't believe he's gone.