S. Florida 23 Notre Dame 20

cammando

You mean like the last 3 coaches they've hired? Maybe the problem with ND is ND and not the coaches.
Being independent does create an obstacle of securing a berth to the championship by means of conference records/championships, that and its academic aspirations sets the bar rather high for some athletes. Everyone likes to knock ND as a horrible football team these days yet as of of the end of the 2010 football season, Notre Dame has the 4th most wins in NCAA history (845), trailing only Michigan (884), Texas (850) and Nebraska (847). It's only because they haven't competed for a National Championship since '88 and lost 9 bowl games in a row until '08 that some call them horrible. They have the second highest-winning percentage in NCAA history (.732), behind Michigan (.733). As of 2009, Notre Dame has produced more All-Americans (99), consensus All-Americans (80) and unanimous All-Americans (31) in football than any other college program. As of 2010, Notre Dame has 103 winning seasons in 122 years of football, and only 13 losing seasons. Not too shabby.

Oh yeah, 8 wire service (AP or Coaches) national championships and 3 Helms, CFRA, NCF national championships.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Urban Meyer or Nick Saban couldn't win big at Notre Dame? Chris Petersen, Gary Patterson, or Chip Kelly couldn't?
Maybe maybe not. BK won at Cinn so why shouldn't he be able to win at ND? And I would slow down on Petersen and C. Kelly. Petersen needs to do it against a varsity schedule and Kelly needs to be more then basically one season.

Their biggest challange is you can take the top 100 recruits in the country and due to ND's high academic standards you just about eliminate 1/2 of them before you ever make a call.

Maybe maybe not. BK won at Cinn so why shouldn't he be able to win at ND? And I would slow down on Petersen and C. Kelly. Petersen needs to do it against a varsity schedule and Kelly needs to be more then basically one season.

Their biggest challange is you can take the top 100 recruits in the country and due to ND's high academic standards you just about eliminate 1/2 of them before you ever make a call.

Bingo.

ND fans are fantastic, BTW. Even when I did a pavement roll, diving for a thrown football, they were more concerned about the fat old man hurting himself, than laughing. 4 guys came running to see if I was OK and helped me up. I, on the other hand, was dying laughing. That had to look hilarious.

Everyone was gracious.

I also need to mention the announcement of Lee Roy Selmon's stroke and moment of silence for him, before the start of the game, and the tribute to cancer survivor Beth Holtz, during the first timeout. Love or hate Notre Dame as a football program, as a school, they exhibited nothing but class to USF and it's fans.

Notre Dame football is merely an afterthought these days. I've heard their Lacrosse team is good or perhaps that's another school???........

Has there ever in the history of college football been a program consistently and constantly - on practically a biblical scale - more overrated than Notre Dame?

The short answer is no.

When the leader can't keep his composure, the troops will follow. Brian Kelley is not the man to get ND back to national prominence. That will be realized soon enough by the powers to be, and he will be gone.

While I can agree with some people about Notre Dame being overrated in the past, I do have to disagree about them being overrated this year. I don't believe they were overrated at all this year. Some people hate Notre Dame, so will fail to notice that Notre Dame actually does look like a better team this year a team that can do well. You have to believe that they won't miss a chip shot field goal, and then have 3 turnovers inside the 7 yard line after driving all the way down the field. I mean 3 turnovers inside the 7 yard line is unheard of. Which USF gets credit because they took advantage of it like they should.

As I said I admit Notre Dame has been overrated in the past. However even though they lost this game, if you truly watched this game then you can see that Notre Dame actually has a good team this year. In the past they didn't have defenses, while this year their defense is not that bad and offensively they should be fine because they probably won't keep having all those turnovers. For people counting BK out after just one season and one game, is not that smart IMO. Wait until the end of the season, because that opinion could very easily be changed based on how they do, or that opinion could at least have more to back it up on.

So much for the BCS for Notre Dame. USF had got really lucky today IMO, they were really outplayed. I guess it goes to show that if you're going to win one facet of the game, you want it to be turnovers. Rees has got to be the man going forward I would imagine.

Notre Dame going to the BCS is not out of the question yet. They have now left no room for error though, and definitely made it hard as can be on theirselves because now they will have to beat Stanford to have a chance. Which they will have to play great to have a chance in that one. If they win out which includes wins over Standford and USC, you have to know they would be in a BCS game. I know that is a very small chance they do that though lol.

The academic issue is very big. I believe for the most part players are truly students at ND.

Notre Dame going to the BCS is not out of the question yet. They have now left no room for error though, and definitely made it hard as can be on theirselves because now they will have to beat Stanford to have a chance. Which they will have to play great to have a chance in that one. If they win out which includes wins over Standford and USC, you have to know they would be in a BCS game. I know that is a very small chance they do that though lol.

They will not beat Stanford if Luck is healthy IMO.

The academic issue is very big. I believe for the most part players are truly students at ND.

Didn't they lower the standard a bit a few years back? Not sure just thought I had heard this. As long as Kelly can get recruits which he really didn't at UC but seems to be doing well in South Bend (star wise) I think he'll be fine. His offense is one that is appealing and they should be penciled in for nine or so wins annually but that's proven to be not enough in the past.

They will not beat Stanford if Luck is healthy IMO.

Every year people lose games no body would have thought they would have lost. I do think not having Jim Harbaugh could hurt them in some games this year. Obviously having someone as good as Luck will be able to overcome some of those things though. Notre Dame is one of the teams I think that could actually beat Stanford this year, besides Oregon. Other than that, I don't see many teams being able to give Stanford and Luck much of a test.

This team turned the ball over 5 times, missed a HUGE FG, and switched QBs at the half...still they only lost by 3 to a team that many favor to win the Big East. The defense played against a very athletic QB, the same exact kind that gave them issues last year (see Michigan). They contained Daniels, and I feel, showed that they are much more athletic this year. Hunter Smith is very good when he isn't grabbing people by the face mask. I like this team. Saturday will dictate how the rest of their season goes.

This team turned the ball over 5 times, missed a HUGE FG, and switched QBs at the half...still they only lost by 3 to a team that many favor to win the Big East. The defense played against a very athletic QB, the same exact kind that gave them issues last year (see Michigan). They contained Daniels, and I feel, showed that they are much more athletic this year. Hunter Smith is very good when he isn't grabbing people by the face mask. I like this team. Saturday will dictate how the rest of their season goes.
Exactly