S. Florida 23 Notre Dame 20

cammando

USF DC Mark Snyder commented on the "Bend But Don't Break" defense the Bulls employed to prevent the big play, especially by Michael Floyd. Make them snap it again, was the goal. They knew they were going to give up yards, but they wanted to corral the Irish once they got into the red zone, working with a short field. Try and get turnovers or stop them there. It seemed to work with 3 of the 4 offensive turnovers happening in that area of the field.

So outside of the game how was the trip. What all did you get to see of the campus, or pre-game activities?

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So outside of the game how was the trip. What all did you get to see of the campus, or pre-game activities?

We got there at Noon, but I spent most of our tailgate time trying to get my daughter or her boyfriend on my cell. The service up there is terrible. Before I knew, it was too late to get to look about. We then planned on doing the campus stuff after the game, but then came the delays. I was extremely disappointed, but the win made it easier to take. :D

However, I enjoyed the ND fans. The stadium personnel were amazing. Not a bad apple in the bunch. We ended up tailgating near a small live band in SW Joyce. They were great.

My daughter's boyfriend and I are already planning to go back next year. Just the 4 of us, not with 15 other people. Not with concern over who ND is playing. We can then control when we get there and what we do.

USF DC Mark Snyder commented on the "Bend But Don't Break" defense the Bulls employed to prevent the big play, especially by Michael Floyd. Make them snap it again, was the goal. They knew they were going to give up yards, but they wanted to corral the Irish once they got into the red zone, working with a short field. Try and get turnovers or stop them there. It seemed to work with 3 of the 4 offensive turnovers happening in that area of the field.

We got there at Noon, but I spent most of our tailgate time trying to get my daughter or her boyfriend on my cell. The service up there is terrible. Before I knew, it was too late to get to look about. We then planned on doing the campus stuff after the game, but then came the delays. I was extremely disappointed, but the win made it easier to take. :D

However, I enjoyed the ND fans. The stadium personnel were amazing. Not a bad apple in the bunch. We ended up tailgating near a small live band in SW Joyce. They were great.

My daughter's boyfriend and I are already planning to go back next year. Just the 4 of us, not with 15 other people. Not with concern over who ND is playing. We can then control when we get there and what we do.

Campus is extremely nice, but the town is a dump IMO.

I'm sure they never envisioned two horrible passes and a fumble/strip like that though. There is winning the turnover battle and then there is just giving the game away and I think even those most ardent USF fan will admit they were extremely lucky to get out of there with the W.

I will admit to not being much of a Notre Dame football fan, so perhaps this is more wishing thinking than reality, but I think there's a pretty reasonable shot ND could start the season 0-4. Michigan at Michigan is going to be tough and then they have Michigan State, against whom they have greatly struggled the past 14 seasons (4-10). Game #4 is at Pittsburgh, no pushover and to whom ND has lost two of its past three games. Kelly will blow an aneurysm if this happens.

Interesting stats I just read today: ND has lost 15 of its last 28 games at home and has finished the season ranked in the top ten just once in the past 17 years.

I'm sure they never envisioned two horrible passes and a fumble/strip like that though. There is winning the turnover battle and then there is just giving the game away and I think even those most ardent USF fan will admit they were extremely lucky to get out of there with the W.

I think they were lucky. Said so in an earlier post. Holtz will be the first one that will tell you that the Bulls did not play their best, especially on offense, and were lucky to win. He did so in his press conference. So does the rest team, now that they have watched the film. In fact, according to Skip, they are upset about how they played.

Having said that, it just seems an awful coincidence that out of all the offensive plays by ND, those horrible passes and that strip happened in the part of the field where the USF coaching staff wanted them to happen. Just sayin'. :D

I guess that is one way to spin it :lol: Floyd went through a stretch where he toyed with the South Florida secondary. You find me a defensive coordinator whose strategy is let a team drive 70 yards with ease then clamp down, then I will find you an unemployed defensive coordinator. Kudos to the Bulls for making the plays, but Notre Dame did themselves no favors as you have alluded.

In my opinion a lot of these spread system teams struggle in the redzone because they are predicated upon creating mismatches with an extended field. That advantage is taken away deep in opposition territory. It kills me to watch football teams unable to take a snap from center and run over the opposition. When I saw a team have to snap it out of the gun to take a knee I nearly swore off football for life.

I will admit to not being much of a Notre Dame football fan, so perhaps this is more wishing thinking than reality, but I think there's a pretty reasonable shot ND could start the season 0-4. Michigan at Michigan is going to be tough and then they have Michigan State, against whom they have greatly struggled the past 14 seasons (4-10). Game #4 is at Pittsburgh, no pushover and to whom ND has lost two of its past three games. Kelly will blow an aneurysm if this happens.

Interesting stats I just read today: ND has lost 15 of its last 28 games at home and has finished the season ranked in the top ten just once in the past 17 years.

With higher expectations for this season an 0-4 start would be cataclysmic for Kelly.

I guess that is one way to spin it :lol: Floyd went through a stretch where he toyed with the South Florida secondary. You find me a defensive coordinator whose strategy is let a team drive 70 yards with ease then clamp down, then I will find you an unemployed defensive coordinator. Kudos to the Bulls for making the plays, but Notre Dame did themselves no favors as you have alluded.

In my opinion a lot of these spread system teams struggle in the redzone because they are predicated upon creating mismatches with an extended field. That advantage is taken away deep in opposition territory. It kills me to watch football teams unable to take a snap from center and run over the opposition. When I saw a team have to snap it out of the gun to take a knee I nearly swore off football for life.

It cost us a playoff spot at Hanover my Freshman year. We finished 9-1 and lost to Wabash when, in the 4th quarter at 5 yardline going in, we ran a middle screen and the ball skipped off of our center's helmet to a defender for an INT. You gotta be able to run the ball from the 10 yard line in, if for nothing else, to keep men in the box.

I don't what to say. Just reporting what I heard Mark say. I finally found the interview up on YouTube. Here it is...