Highlands Frosh Football 2011

I understand the argument. My son participated in the MS basketball program as well as the football program. I don't recall it really being an issue. Also, being somewhat familiar with the MS girls program at Highlands, I was astounded at all of the other activities that players were involved in that impacted practice time and occasionally game day. It was allowed from the top, so it was what it was. you just dealt with it.

So multi-sports players are lifting weights on a regular basis . My question is , how do you determine if they are lifting and training for basketball or football ? What if the players are running track , are they also training for football at the same time ? IMO, as long as they are training or lifting , that's a good thing for all the sports that they get involved in.

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What some of you critics fail to understand is that if the kids were forbidden from lifting while they were playing basketball, they would give up basketball as to not fall behind in the weight room; it is just the reality of Highlands football.

Would you have a problem with it if you were coaching them and they were going to weights prior to your game that day and it was having an impact on their effectiveness in the game? These kids are talking about how sore they are and their legs and arms hurt, which directly impact their ability to perform on the court.

Its a blooming game. Geezil petes. I let an 8th grader I coached in the Jr. Football League miss almost every practice so he could go to soccer. The kid still started on Saturdays for me. May have cost the team a couple of wins. Who blasted cares about who wins an 8th grade sport? I'll tell you who: overbearing coaches and parents. Good gracious. If the kid wants to lift with the football team and still play basketball, and it's not hurting him physically, so be it.

Its a blooming game. Geezil petes. I let an 8th grader I coached in the Jr. Football League miss almost every practice so he could go to soccer. The kid still started on Saturdays for me. May have cost the team a couple of wins. Who blasted cares about who wins an 8th grade sport? I'll tell you who: overbearing coaches and parents. Good gracious. If the kid wants to lift with the football team and still play basketball, and it's not hurting him physically, so be it.

I would have never played high school football unless my 8th grade coach allowed me to play soccer and miss practices for football. Remember other sports help you get better at football. It's not like they are skipping practice and doing nothing, they are getting better at football by doing something different.

Exactly right robdigity. Some adults get too wrapped up in the games of kids. If a frosh basketball player doesn't play well because he's sore from lifting with the football and it costs the frosh basketball team a win, the sun will come up the next day. And yes, I'd feel exactly the same way if the frosh football team lost a game because the QB needed to miss some August practices to compete on his select soccer team; his AAU basketball game or his traveling baseball team.

If a frosh basketball player doesn't play well because he's sore from lifting with the football and it costs the frosh basketball team a win, the sun will come up the next day. And yes, I'd feel exactly the same way if the frosh football team lost a game because the QB needed to miss some August practices to compete on his select soccer team; his AAU basketball game or his traveling baseball team.

At what point would it start mattering? How about at the JV or varsity level?

Well, by looking at the team's record on another thread, it doesn't look like it's a big deal. Like I said my son and 3/4 of his team did it in 8th grade, and they made it to the state finals. Not a big deal... And besides myself and a few other parents, who even remembers what my son's team did?

Let's see if we can get this thread back to its original intentions, which was to talk about the upcoming season. TDY mentioned playing Trinity this year rather than X, where will this game be played? Are there any other new additions to the schedule? Are there any kids known to be transferring into the school district either from other schools or the local parochial schools?

At what point would it start mattering? How about at the JV or varsity level?

Fair questions. I'm not convinced it ever matters at the high school level, but to the extent I'd be forced to answer your question, I'd say varsity. All high school kids are just that: kids. No denying I'm proud of Highlands championships but I'm certainly not one of those supporters that judges whether a team was a success or whether a kid was a good, committed player by state championships. Let the kids make their own decisions about participating in multiple sports until the parent decides they are doing too much and it's hurting the kid physically or mentally. Then it's the parent's responsibility to step up and tell the kid enough is enough. I totally agree with ABC2 on that point.

Perhaps some frosh cannot physically or mentally handle lifting weights with the football team and also playing basketball at the same time. If so, the parent knows or should know that better than any one. But to categorically state that a kid playing basketball, particularly a frosh, can't or shouldn't lift with the football team because it may impact a game that night or the next night seems wrong to me. I totally agreed with and supported Brett Hamblin missing almost all of the 2 of days his senior year to play on his travelling baseball team. I totally agreed with and supported Drew Simons missing some 2 a days his senior year to participate in AAU basketball tournaments. I totally agree with and support football players missing practices during the season to participate in school choir and other school activities. If those things cost the football team a win or two or more, so be it. There's nothing wrong with playing multiple sports and there's nothing wrong with playing one sport.

Some adults need to quit living their lifes through the successes of their local high school's sports teams. Some parents need to quit living their lifes through the successes of their sons and daughters. And it definitely happens. I won't embarass some other posters on here by repeating situations I know have occurred demonstrating parents being overbearing. But trust me, it happens and is rather disappointing.

A lot of great points in this thread. Exact same things that cost the Archery team the "Robin Hood" cup a few yrs back.

My lord people, learn that you cant fight it, just try and encourage your son and daughter to enjoy it and do the best they can at what ever sport(s) they plan on participating in and have fun.

Highlands football is a little like that line in Christmas Vacation with Clark and Uncle Eddie and Snotts the Rottweiler.

Something something about not fighting it and best to just let him finish. LOL

A lot of great points in this thread. Exact same things that cost the Archery team the "Robin Hood" cup a few yrs back.

My lord people, learn that you cant fight it, just try and encourage your son and daughter to enjoy it and do the best they can at what ever sport(s) they plan on participating in and have fun.

Highlands football is a little like that line in Christmas Vacation with Clark and Uncle Eddie and Snotts the Rottweiler.

Something something about not fighting it and best to just let him finish. LOL

"He's just yacking up a bone Clark". :D

And your bolded point is spot on, my friend.