Manual vs St.Xavier

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've discovered some terrible news. I will NOT be able to make ti out this Friday. So I'm going to throw something else out there to all those that feel this could be a barn burner- It very well could be. But if Manual comes in with the losing attitude, they could very well be in for a long night, and a much bigger scoring margin. I pray that deosn't happen, but it's a possibility. Heck, its a POSSIBILITY that they could make all the big plays and win by a couple of TDs. I'd LOVE for that to happen. But as I stated in the regular season X vs Manual thread, I'm trying to be more of a realist. A HOPEFUL realist, but a realist nonetheless.

Did the teams you played on come in with a losing attitude? If so that could be the problem with the Manual teams. The coaches can coach their butts off and tell the kids that they are as good and can play with anyone. Until THEY actually BELIEVE it then all is for naught. Half the battle is believing.

Did the teams you played on come in with a losing attitude? If so that could be the problem with the Manual teams. The coaches can coach their butts off and tell the kids that they are as good and can play with anyone. Until THEY actually BELIEVE it then all is for naught. Half the battle is believing.

It took a lot of winning to wash the memories of 50-0 stompings against the top teams from my early playing years.

Anyone who believes that Manual can't bounce back from close losses has never bounced back from blowouts. When we lost against X in 2001, we knew we could have played a better game and won, which was the first time I think that was felt by Manual's players against X, Male, or Trinity in a long time. That game really propelled us against Male later that year.

This team took the Trinity loss pretty bad, from what I understand, and the X loss is always hard... but from what I hear, they responded well after the Male game. I think they're off the mat and ready to answer the bell. I really do.

It's hard to decipher that, because sometimes it would be just a few players that you could almost see the urge to go home in their eyes. And I guess I should amend that comment... "if they DON'T come in with a WINNING attitude". Nobody on that field wants to lose. I agree that believing is half the battle, and considering this has the potential to take it all the way, if they can get past X, who I believe is the best team in the state right now... but if Manual beats them, then Manual takes that honor. It's been a few weeks since they last played. I'm curious to see what Manual has improved upon. Will the Manual players believe this time around?

But I CAN'T see the answer, because I have to WORK! :cry:

Each team has their work cut out. Manual’s senior class is the remnant of the super freshman class they had four years ago. X comes in with no injuries and at full strength, to my knowledge. The Tigers face a daunting task shutting down what I believe is the fastest backfield overall in Jefferson County. Manual has to find a way to slow down Victor Anderson, and that will be difficult with the X offensive line opening holes. Neither team can afford to look ahead, and I believe that neither team will. Each team will not be totally successful at the task they face, but in the long run X should prevail by about 28-14. I look for a clean game between two classy teams, hopefully with no injuries.

Of course, although the players cannot, we fans can look ahead. Given the region each team plays in, the view on the horizon is not pretty. Male or John Hardin loom, and it appears that the winner of that game may have the pleasure of traveling to Bowling Green to play a very impressive Warren Central team. This type of speculation is probably why coaches tell their players to take it one game at a time!

I have a serious question for the Ram faithful... the d-lineman that was hurt early in the year... how has he done since returning?

It depends. Andre Henderson has shown flashes on individual plays, but he would need to show little more fire to be the dominant player he could be. As talent goes, he's great. As a player, I don't think he stands out much from the rest of the D-line, which is just that good.

Can't speak for X, but Trinity doesn't ever have 120 on the freshman team. A couple of years ago the freshman team got up over 100 but the past few years its been around the 85 range (and this years team was in the 70s). Latest stats shows Manual's enrollment at 1894, so lets say 947 boys. That should give us around 237 freshman boys. Trinity has 1,400 boys. That gives us 350 freshman boys. That means that 25% of Trinity's freshman go out for football to create the squad of 85. If 25% of Manual's freshman boys went out for football they would have a freshman squad of 60. Do they? It didn't look like 60 when we played back in september. Heck, if Manual's staff did as good a job of retaining players as Coach Glaser does, they would have a varsity squad of 90 to 100. When was the last time that happened? Maybe the playing field isn't as uneven as you think.

Your argument is layed out very cleverly to de-emphasize the greater than 450 student discrepancy between Manual's male enrollment and Trinity and X's enrollments by comparing just the size of freshman football rosters. Sixty compared to eighty-five doesn't seem like that big a difference--quit whining. But let's really take a look at the numbers. There was a letter to the Editor in the Oct 7 Courier where the writer surveyed several local 4A high schools by phone to find out how many boys were in the current senior class. His findings:

Trinity 365

Ballard 200

Manual 198

Butler 182

Eastern 176

Pleasure Ridge Park 150

Male 141

Now there is certainly some fluctuation in these numbers from one year to the next. For example, in a more typical year Male has about 180 boys in its senior class. On the privateschoolreview.com website, Trinity is shown as having 313 seniors (and between 370-380 in grades 9-11). But one cannot just brush off a fairly consistent 50% enrollment advantage as LSU does in his last statement ("Maybe the playing field isn't as uneven as you think.").

But let's really take a look at the numbers. There was a letter to the Editor in the Oct 7 Courier where the writer surveyed several local 4A high schools by phone to find out how many boys were in the current senior class. His findings:

This week's sign the apocaylpse is upon us:

Citing a letter to the Editor as authoritative. :lol:

From the KHSAA website, these are the number of boys in the senior classes of the various schools in Louisville during the 2004-05 school year. I know LSURock may not care, since they're last year's numbers, but they're the latest official numbers that we have.

St. Xavier ... 330

Trinity ... 313

Eastern ... 225

Seneca ... 198

Manual ... 175

Pleasure Ridge Park ... 167

Ballard ... 162

Male ... 153

Butler ... 150

Southern ... 122

Jeffersontown ... 112

Waggener ... 99

Doss ... 95

Fern Creek ... 93

DeSales ... 90

Atherton ... 86

Central ... 77

Valley ... 76

Western ... 67

Fairdale ... 66

Christian Academy ... 60

Moore ... 51

Shawnee ... 46

Holy Cross ... 37

From the KHSAA website, these are the number of boys in the senior classes of the various schools in Louisville during the 2004-05 school year. I know LSURock may not care, since they're last year's numbers, but they're the latest official numbers that we have.

St. Xavier ... 330

Trinity ... 313

Eastern ... 225

Seneca ... 198

Manual ... 175

Pleasure Ridge Park ... 167

Ballard ... 162

Male ... 153

Butler ... 150

Southern ... 122

Jeffersontown ... 112

Waggener ... 99

Doss ... 95

Fern Creek ... 93

DeSales ... 90

Atherton ... 86

Central ... 77

Valley ... 76

Western ... 67

Fairdale ... 66

Christian Academy ... 60

Moore ... 51

Shawnee ... 46

Holy Cross ... 37

No, the official numbers are the ones I shared with you from the JCPS data. These are the real numbers that the school legally claims. Your numbers from the athletic office could be way off because there is no effect if they are. I'll stick with my numbers, thanks anyway.

I'd like to move on to the game. Manual can win, but I'm afraid they won't. It will take more than Manual's best effort. The Crimson coaching staff should lay it all on the line and take some risks. I mean ALL IN, ROLL THE DICE, CHANCE OF LIFETIME, THROW CAUTION TO THE WIND RISKS. If they pull it off, they have secured their place in Manual history. If it flops, well not may people give them much chance anyway. C'mon Coach Nichols, lets see some innovation Friday night.

No, the official numbers are the ones I shared with you from the JCPS data. These are the real numbers that the school legally claims. Your numbers from the athletic office could be way off because there is no effect if they are. I'll stick with my numbers, thanks anyway.

The only "official" number you had was the total enrollment. You made assumptions about the percentage of boys and the relative distribution among grades 9-12 for your numbers.

I have a serious question for the Ram faithful... the d-lineman that was hurt early in the year... how has he done since returning?

Aundre is coming off his best game of the year statistically. He led us in tackles last week against Meade County. He had 4 solos, 5 assists, 1 tackle for loss, 1 sack, and a forced fumble.