Manual vs St.Xavier

You can look at it like this... TD's the more social aspect of BGP, while The Sultan is more of a spiritual icon. How's that work? A good balance?

In the meantime, I'll be the cosmetic piece of BGP... I'm too darn handsome for anything else. :D

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry guys but I'll stick with the official JCPS publication. No typo, just the facts. Did you know that your CATs index is one of only two in the county in triple digits, Manual is at 101.8 while Male edges you out at 102.1. However both of those schools declined since last year, Manual by 2.2% and Male by 1.6%. Pretty technical stuff huh? I've got pages of it. So as you can see I'm not making this stuff up and I'm not basing it on anyone's recollection. Just the cold hard facts in black and white. BTW, Male has a capacity of 1,634 and an enrollment of 1,683. As far as enrollment goes in JCPS high schools, only Eastern at 1,924 and PRP at 1,956 are larger than Manual. Sorry if this info doesn't square with your perception, but I assure you it is factual. You could look it up. Or you could call and have JCPS send you one like I did.

Hey LSU, I notice that both Manual and Males head counts are over their respective seating capacities. Could that be because they had to make room for all those non-football recruites? :sssh:

According to the KHSAA's list of 2004-05 audited enrollments, Manual had an enrollment of 1,844 students ... 823 were boys.

Trinity had 1,440 boys. St. Xavier had 1,390 boys.

Just getting the right numbers out there.

Not really interested in last years KHSAA's numbers, I've got this years JCPS's numbers. FYI, X has inched back past Trinity this year. Thanks anyway.

If I may step into this robust discussion of school enrollments on the St. X-Manual football thread, I believe that LSURock is simply pointing out that the so-called "numbers" advantage enjoyed by the private schools over the public schools is more ephemeral than real. The more pertinent issue is percentage of boys at a school who play football at the school. The fact of the matter is if the publics had similar percentages of boys playing football there would not be the discrepancy in the number of boys on the sidelines of each respective school during football games. For example, St. X has about 1450 boys in their school. They have about 279 boys on the varsity, JV and freshman football teams (numbers taken from the St. Xavier High School 2005 football directory). Therefore, a little over 19% of the St. Xavier's students play football. LSURock's numbers indicate that Manual has about 950 boys, and the Male has approximately 850 boys. A multiplier of .19 would leave Manual with about 181 boys playing football and Male with about 162 boys playing football. St. X has 112 boys on the varsity squad (they only dress 100), a retention rate of about 40% of the total number. If Manual had the same percentage of boys on their varsity football team, they would have 72 varsity players. Using the same statistics, Male would have 65. It may be true, as suggested in earlier posts, that Manual has a number of boys in YPAS that do not play football. That is not the point that LSURock seeks to make. His point is merely that the school enrollment numbers issue, as espoused by some (Dr. Keepers) is not valid. :rolleyes:

If I may step into this robust discussion of school enrollments on the St. X-Manual football thread, I believe that LSURock is simply pointing out that the so-called "numbers" advantage enjoyed by the private schools over the public schools is more ephemeral than real. The more pertinent issue is percentage of boys at a school who play football at the school. The fact of the matter is if the publics had similar percentages of boys playing football there would not be the discrepancy in the number of boys on the sidelines of each respective school during football games. For example, St. X has about 1450 boys in their school. They have about 279 boys on the varsity, JV and freshman football teams (numbers taken from the St. Xavier High School 2005 football directory). Therefore, a little over 19% of the St. Xavier's students play football. LSURock's numbers indicate that Manual has about 950 boys, and the Male has approximately 850 boys. A multiplier of .19 would leave Manual with about 181 boys playing football and Male with about 162 boys playing football. St. X has 112 boys on the varsity squad (they only dress 100), a retention rate of about 40% of the total number. If Manual had the same percentage of boys on their varsity football team, they would have 72 varsity players. Using the same statistics, Male would have 65. It may be true, as suggested in earlier posts, that Manual has a number of boys in YPAS that do not play football. That is not the point that LSURock seeks to make. His point is merely that the school enrollment numbers issue, as espoused by some (Dr. Keepers) is not valid. :rolleyes:

Nice post!

Are all these statistics being given as justification for continued play in the current playoff system? The numbers may hash out evenly but it doesn't justify the Jefferson County publics playing the privates that are able to draw the BEST of Oldham,Bullitt,Shelby and Southern Indiana. I know the argument will be made that there aren't that many students/football players that end up there. However, all you need is 1 or 2 REALY GOOD kids from each of those counties for an advantage.

This post makes ZERO logical sense.

Manual has, no matter what you want to extrapolate from LSU, about 850 boys (see westsiders numbers.) We've been telling you guys for some time now that one of the noticbly nice things about Manual was that there were more girls than guys. I think even Ram Bros had dates for prom! :fire:

If Manual has 850 boys, and T and X have about 1,400 each, you don't see a numbers advantage? The fact that you have a lower percentage coming out for football doesn't matter; Of course you do! There are only so many slots, and more marginal prospects self limit themselves by not coming out when they don't think they have a chance of making it. The numbers argument is that if you have a larger pool to draw from, you get on average better players.

And how many times do I have to say it? YPAS guys aren't ALLOWED to come out for football in a lot of cases. They would fail CLASSES THEY NEED TO STAY IN YPAS if they did!

Did you guys hear that the Manual Crimsons and Saint Xavier Tigers are playing a football game this Friday? Two of the oldest football teams in the state from only a few miles apart playing in the most historic Stadium in the city in the playoff. Let's talk about this game!! Are the Tigers playing at their peak? Or have the Crimsons improved enough to make a dent in the Tiger Defense?

You can look at it like this... TD's the more social aspect of BGP, while The Sultan is more of a spiritual icon. How's that work? A good balance?

In the meantime, I'll be the cosmetic piece of BGP... I'm too darn handsome for anything else. :D

My thoughts exactly :ylsuper: :lol:

Did you guys hear that the Manual Crimsons and Saint Xavier Tigers are playing a football game this Friday? Two of the oldest football teams in the state from only a few miles apart playing in the most historic Stadium in the city in the playoff. Let's talk about this game!! Are the Tigers playing at their peak? Or have the Crimsons improved enough to make a dent in the Tiger Defense?

I've discovered some terrible news. I will NOT be able to make ti out this Friday. So I'm going to throw something else out there to all those that feel this could be a barn burner- It very well could be. But if Manual comes in with the losing attitude, they could very well be in for a long night, and a much bigger scoring margin. I pray that deosn't happen, but it's a possibility. Heck, its a POSSIBILITY that they could make all the big plays and win by a couple of TDs. I'd LOVE for that to happen. But as I stated in the regular season X vs Manual thread, I'm trying to be more of a realist. A HOPEFUL realist, but a realist nonetheless.