Holmes next coach will be......

Again, my point is that the Holmes job may not be as high profile as folks on here are making it out to be.

You obviously don't know what they have coming through the ranks then.

Holmes will be back at Rupp within the next 3 years. Quote me on that if you'd like. They have some serious talent coming up through the ranks.

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Brossart went undefeated in NKY in both '05 and '07...

Brossart didn't exactly play all of the top programs those two years either:

2005- 10-0 (St. Henry, Campbell Co, Lloyd, Newport, Silver Grove, Highlands, Simon Kenton, Newcath, Covcath, Holy Cross)

The teams that Brossart beat that year were a combined 113-112.

On that list you don't see the following teams:

Holmes: 24-7 (9th region Champions)

Dixie Heights: 25-5 (9th Region Semi-Finalist)

Conner: 19-10 (9th Region Semi Finalist)

Boone Co: 16-14

Ryle: 15-13

2007- 16-0 (Silver Grove 3x, Lloyd, Campbell Co, Holy Cross, Highlands, Campbell Co, Newcath 2x, Scott 2x, Calvary Christian, St. Henry, Newport, Covcath)

Again missing from those teams:

Holmes: 25-10 (9th Region Champions, State Semi-Finalist)

Boone Co: 18-12

Dixie Heights: 16-16

Conner: 13-16

Ryle: 10-18

Not saying any of the above teams would have beat Brossart in 07 (as you can see from their records), but just stating that they didn't play all of the top teams in nky the two years they went undefeated.

You obviously don't know what they have coming through the ranks then.

Holmes will be back at Rupp within the next 3 years. Quote me on that if you'd like. They have some serious talent coming up through the ranks.

Christian McClendon (sp.) is going to be, basically already is, a superstar...

Christian McClendon (sp.) is going to be, basically already is, a superstar...

There's more than just McClendon.

In the senior to be class, Jaleel Gray, Chris Hayes, and Kevon Rice are all very good players. See the "Summer Ball" thread and you'll see that Hayes is playing extremely well right now for the Bulldogs and will likely be one of the top 2 or 3 guards in next year's senior class. Pierre Mayfield is also a member of this class. Extremely underrated and some forget that this kid has been named MVP and all tournament team to several AAU tournaments over the past 3 years.

In the junior to be class, 6'4 Dontel Rice is the "next big thing" that's coming through. I hate to put pressure on the kid, but his game is so similar to Greg Rice, it's unreal. You also have 6'9 David Stephens who will be a defensive nightmare for opposing teams. He is also playing AAU this summer and working hard to improve. Other notable players are 6'5 Hunter Hoskins, 5'11 JaKeith Knight, and 6'1 Charles Knox who will be one of the better forwards in nky his senior year. Think James "Meechie" Jackson from the early 2000's.

The sophomore to be class is absolutely loaded, led by Christian McClendon. You also have a future D1 athlete in football in 6'3 Desean Peterson. Others are 6'2 Quan Palmer who was a starter for the NKY Tarheels team that finished 8th at nationals this past summer, and 6'2 Englemon who is the younger brother of Brandent Englemon. Oh, forgot about 6'1 Rayshon Coston who is another kid that played for the Tarheels and could be a big time prospect in football and is also an exceptional basketball player.

Add freshman to be, Jaylen Avery, to that sophomore to be class when they're seniors and the 8th grade to be class that went 25-2 this past season, and it's easy to see why those who are familiar with the Holmes program are very optimistic that they'll be able to keep that elite status statewide for years to come.

Brossart didn't exactly play all of the top programs those two years either:

2005- 10-0 (St. Henry, Campbell Co, Lloyd, Newport, Silver Grove, Highlands, Simon Kenton, Newcath, Covcath, Holy Cross)

The teams that Brossart beat that year were a combined 113-112.

On that list you don't see the following teams:

Holmes: 24-7 (9th region Champions)

Dixie Heights: 25-5 (9th Region Semi-Finalist)

Conner: 19-10 (9th Region Semi Finalist)

Boone Co: 16-14

Ryle: 15-13

2007- 16-0 (Silver Grove 3x, Lloyd, Campbell Co, Holy Cross, Highlands, Campbell Co, Newcath 2x, Scott 2x, Calvary Christian, St. Henry, Newport, Covcath)

Again missing from those teams:

Holmes: 25-10 (9th Region Champions, State Semi-Finalist)

Boone Co: 18-12

Dixie Heights: 16-16

Conner: 13-16

Ryle: 10-18

Not saying any of the above teams would have beat Brossart in 07 (as you can see from their records), but just stating that they didn't play all of the top teams in nky the two years they went undefeated.

This team had their chance, but a snow storm (apparently very heavy right in front of Holmes HS) caused them to cancel their regular season game @ Brossart; while the rest of NKY seemed to be able to make to their games that evening?? The BB kids were anxious for this one, but didn't get the opportunity--The others you listed wouldn't have been close.

That's what I am saying too Walter. Holmes will always have the talent to be a contender. I look for a big year out of Chris Hayes. Was Slusher a senior? I thought he was a junior but I see no mention of him in your players list.

Slusher was a senior this past season.

Holmes will return the following players next year:

Seniors:

6'0 Chris Hayes, 6'0 Pierre Mayfield, 6'1 Jaleel Gray, 6'6 Kevon Rice

Juniors:

5'11 JaKeith Rivers (didn't play last year), 5'11 Demarco Amison, 6'4 Dontel Rice, 6'5 Hunter Hoskins, 6'9 David Stephens

Sophomores:

6'0 Christian McClendon, 6'1 Rayshawn Coston, 6'2 Englemon (not sure of his first name), 6'2 Quan Palmer, 6'3 Desean Peterson

I'd assume that Jaylen Avery will also play up as a freshman and be a member of the JV squad. He is a VERY GOOD point guard. He'll likely be better than big brother Braeon.

Brossart went undefeated in NKY in both '05 and '07...

As great as the Holmes teams have been in the recent past, the last 9th Region team to run the table against 9th Region opponents was the '04 Cov. Cath. squad. (Which is not to say they ran the table against Northern Kentucky opponents, since Brossert came in to Park Hills on Senior night in '04 and throttled the Colonels.)

Whoever takes Coach Henley's spot will have some pretty big shoes to fill.

Slusher was a senior this past season.

Holmes will return the following players next year:

Seniors:

6'0 Chris Hayes, 6'0 Pierre Mayfield, 6'1 Jaleel Gray, 6'6 Kevon Rice

Juniors:

5'11 JaKeith Rivers (didn't play last year), 5'11 Demarco Amison, 6'4 Dontel Rice, 6'5 Hunter Hoskins, 6'9 David Stephens

Sophomores:

6'0 Christian McClendon, 6'1 Rayshawn Coston, 6'2 Englemon (not sure of his first name), 6'2 Quan Palmer, 6'3 Desean Peterson

I'd assume that Jaylen Avery will also play up as a freshman and be a member of the JV squad. He is a VERY GOOD point guard. He'll likely be better than big brother Braeon.

I would love to get the measuring tape out and line all those kids up, Walter you definitely love to boost those guys up. McClendon is lucky to be 6' and Quan Palmer is not 6'2 by any means.

They have a ton of athletes over there no question but man it is going to take a year or two for any new coach to get the buy in from them and there may be some that just dont stick it out. Whoever takes this position better be prepared to get worn down and I mean WORN down year in year out.

This team had their chance, but a snow storm (apparently very heavy right in front of Holmes HS) caused them to cancel their regular season game @ Brossart; while the rest of NKY seemed to be able to make to their games that evening?? The BB kids were anxious for this one, but didn't get the opportunity--The others you listed wouldn't have been close.

I doubt very seriously Holmes was trying to dodge anyone. Anyone who knows Coach Henley knows that he would put his team against anyone. And from what I heard, Henley tried to re-schedule the game but Brossart's coach suddenly "didn't have an opening."

Take it FWIW. There's obviously going to be stories from both sides.

I would love to get the measuring tape out and line all those kids up, Walter you definitely love to boost those guys up. McClendon is lucky to be 6' and Quan Palmer is not 6'2 by any means.

They have a ton of athletes over there no question but man it is going to take a year or two for any new coach to get the buy in from them and there may be some that just dont stick it out. Whoever takes this position better be prepared to get worn down and I mean WORN down year in year out.

The height that I provided is what they're listed at.

Englemon and Peterson are both a legit 6'2, with Peterson being in the 6'3-6'4 range. Palmer and Coston are both legit 6'1 kids and last I heard both have grown some. McClendon is taller than me and I'm around 5'10. He's listed at 6'0 in Holmes' program and Henley wasn't one to stretch kids.

As long as Bud Wimzie is on the bench next year, I don't see it taking any time for the kids to buy in to a new "system." Henley got credited for a lot, and rightfully so, but you ask him and he'll be the first to tell you that his assistants were one of the biggest reasons for his success over the years.

I also think things aren't as bad as you're making them out to be. Sure there are off the court issues that other coaches don't have to deal with, but I don't see a new head coach being the reason that a kid leaves a team, especially with Holmes likely keeping the same assistants from this past year.

Sullivan is way too young and inmature for a major coaching job, unless he has changed big time since leaving the Mason County/St.Patrick area.

Sullivan is not way to young, nor is he close to immature. He would be a great fit to Holmes not only because he used to coach there but he knows how to coach his players well and to make them discipline. He would do great things if he accepted this job, look what he did for Cooper who is a second year program. Of course he didn't have the best winning record this season but his players bought in to his ways and also he wants to win and will not enforce we will have to win. He enforces have fun playing basketball and also to do the little things. Coach Sullivan would be a great fit for Holmes not only because he wants to win but because he does if for the right reasons and he wants to make the right decisions not only for him but for his family.