Holmes next coach will be......

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The uninformed might think that Holmes is now going to be in a "rebuilding stage" because of the loss of the Johnson Brothers and Pittman, but don't be fooled. They have plenty coming through the next 5 or 6 years to not only be a region contender every year, but also a top 15-20 team in the state.

Everyone thought they were going to drop off after the c/o 2007 graduated and all they did was make it to back to back state championships the following two years. There's a reason Holmes is considered one of the top programs in the state...they simply reload every year.

Personally I think it is a wait and see situation. There is a lot of talent at Holmes and they have the potential to be one of the top teams in the region. But a lot of things can happen when you face a coaching change. You have to give a lot of credit for the job that David Henley and his staff did at Holmes. A new coach can come in and keep the momentum going or come in and mess everything up. I think the potential is there but it would be premature to say they will automatically be okay.

Personally I think it is a wait and see situation. There is a lot of talent at Holmes and they have the potential to be one of the top teams in the region. But a lot of things can happen when you face a coaching change. You have to give a lot of credit for the job that David Henley and his staff did at Holmes. A new coach can come in and keep the momentum going or come in and mess everything up. I think the potential is there but it would be premature to say they will automatically be okay.

I agree 100%.

I was talking from a talent standpoint though. The talent is there the next 5 or 6 years to do some serious damage in the region if their strengths are utilized.

This coming year's senior class got overshadowed by the "big 3" of this year but that class is actually pretty solid led by Gray, Hayes, and K Rice.

The junior to be class is also very good with 5'11 JaKeith Rivers (?), 6'1 Charles Knox, 6'4 Dontel Rice, 6'5 Hunter Hoskins, and 6'9 David Stephenson.

They also have a very good sophomore to be class of Peterson, Englemon, McClendon, Palmer, and Coston.

The future looks bright at Holmes, looking strictly at the talent coming through.

I agree 100%.

I was talking from a talent standpoint though. The talent is there the next 5 or 6 years to do some serious damage in the region if their strengths are utilized.

This coming year's senior class got overshadowed by the "big 3" of this year but that class is actually pretty solid led by Gray, Hayes, and K Rice.

The junior to be class is also very good with 5'11 JaKeith Rivers (?), 6'1 Charles Knox, 6'4 Dontel Rice, 6'5 Hunter Hoskins, and 6'9 David Stephenson.

They also have a very good sophomore to be class of Peterson, Englemon, McClendon, Palmer, and Coston.

The future looks bright at Holmes, looking strictly at the talent coming through.

I agree with the talent it is there and I think the talent has been at Holmes for a long time. The key is keeping them focused, driven, and ready to play. All duties of a head coach. I hope that it works out at Holmes because I agree the future can be bright. It will be interesting the next few years as they transition.

I agree with the talent it is there and I think the talent has been at Holmes for a long time. The key is keeping them focused, driven, and ready to play. All duties of a head coach. I hope that it works out at Holmes because I agree the future can be bright. It will be interesting the next few years as they transition.

:thumb:

I agree 100%.

With all due respect Walter none of those players can touch the Big 3 or come close.

If they play as a team and get back to doing what Holmes always did best adn that was press the lights out of everyone then they will contend. But I cant see them running a similar offense that Henley ran and be close to anywhere near as good.

Should be Tim Sullivan. He did a GREAT job at Mason Co. with his energy and getting that 2006 team to the state tournament. All of the players that played for him loved him, as he helped each and every one of them get better. All of the players hated to see him go when he left. If we was still there you might of been looking at back to back state championships from Mason Co. Yes in my mind he made that much of a difference. He knows the game very well and would be an excellent fit at Holmes!

With all due respect Walter none of those players can touch the Big 3 or come close.

If they play as a team and get back to doing what Holmes always did best adn that was press the lights out of everyone then they will contend. But I cant see them running a similar offense that Henley ran and be close to anywhere near as good.

People crack me up w/ the slow play comments. The last 4 years playing "slow" they were regional finalists, played in a state semi, finished runner up, and won the state title. They decided that good teams don't get bothered by presses and they focused on getting good shots and playing good man to man defense. No offense to the 9th region teams but what good does it do Holmes to press and beat Beechwood or Holy Cross by 50? They prepared for good teams to play at Rupp rather than destroying their regional competition. Seemingly it worked.

People crack me up w/ the slow play comments. The last 4 years playing "slow" they were regional finalists, played in a state semi, finished runner up, and won the state title. They decided that good teams don't get bothered by presses and they focused on getting good shots and playing good man to man defense. No offense to the 9th region teams but what good does it do Holmes to press and beat Beechwood or Holy Cross by 50? They prepared for good teams to play at Rupp rather than destroying their regional competition. Seemingly it worked.

It seemingly works when you have that personel. That was my point and since they dont have that type of talent any longer its time to get back to an all out blitz where they create turnovers due to their athleticism.

Anybody can come back with your response. I could have analyzed that.

:thumb::thumb:

One of the smarter posts I've read on here in a while.

It seemingly works when you have that personel. That was my point and since they dont have that type of talent any longer its time to get back to an all out blitz where they create turnovers due to their athleticism.

Anybody can come back with your response. I could have analyzed that.

I understand where you're coming from Q, but you have to realize that the reason Holmes has been so successful the past 5 or 6 years is because Henley got his teams away from that style. Sure the 07/08 team with Henderson and Co. pressed, but you have to have depth for that.

Holmes will continue to keep their program in the same direction as it was under Henley. This is why I feel someone "within the system/program" or Sullivan would be the best fit.

Remember Holmes' JV teams also ran a similar offense and were just as successful, so it has nothing to do with personnel.