Coach of the Year

Shmeli

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How about North Bullitt's Brett Newton? At this time last year they were 1-8. Now they are 8-1 and play Bullitt East for the district championship tomorrow night. Newton is doing it with a deep sophomore class and a very talented freshmen running back. Super turnaround by Newton and his staff. They should be good for the next couple of years.

I think the best coaching has to begin next week with the start of the playoffs and the results form there all the way to the State championship game will determine WHO the BEST Coaches are this year...

I agree that there are many worthy candidates at this point - but some of them will drop in the ratings as the playoff picture unfolds.

Good luck to all of these fine coaches mentioned here.

Also, I believe the caliber of coaches we have in Kentucky is indicative of how much better KY HS football (not UK) is getting!

• 3 weeks later...

I am going to reaffirm the suggestion of Paul Rains of Lexington Christian Academy. He has turned around a tiny 5-year-old losing program into a state contender in 3 years. With only 28 kids (43 w/Frosh) he has LCA beating last year's state champions. The 2 years prior to his hiring LCA was 2-8 & 1-9.

Ben Bruni at Warren East. First year as head coach 7-4 and the 1st playoff game in many years for the Raiders. Their losses came from pretty good bunch of teams. Bowling green,Somerset,Franklin Simpson,and Paducah Tilghman. All teams who made it to the 2nd round or better. Oh, and they were 2 and 8 last season.

I must say that Coach Shawn Hager from Sheldon Clark has really done a great job bringing back the Cardinals in just his second year as a head coach. While being young himself and his team suffering from injuries like no other (3 starters 2 being running backs out for knee surgery, a starting receiver out with a broken wrist, and 2 other running backs out at one time for dislocated shoulders) In his first year as head coach the Cardinals finished 2-8 now even with all the injuries the Cardinals 7-3 with a first round home playoff game is a pretty remarkable turn around for a program that doesn’t have very many kids. To me being a good coach is when you display the ability to lead and teach even in the down times not just when you are loaded with talent and good numbers.

Nice post. Coach Hager is very liked at Sheldon Clark. He loves the kids and gets the job done. It took Matney more than two years to get where Hager is now.

Coach Mike Glaser at St. Xavier.

Possibly the first back to back state championships in 30 years for the school.

Possible undefeated post season on top of a undefeated regular season.

Phenominal life time record.

Never before coach of the year.

Not in hall of fame.

I nominate Coach Glaser.

.....and yes I am biased so my second choice is Bullitt East Coach Settles.

Marty Jaggers - Mercer Co.

What a complete turn around in his first year.

Just took a bunch of kids, taught them to believe, played to their strengths, and adjusted as each game developed. He believed in his players and his players believed in him.

There are alot of deserving names in this thread, however, we wouldn't trade Coach Jaggers for any of 'em.

Not in hall of fame.

I nominate Coach Glaser.

I second your nomination. And you forgot to mention- teriffic motivator,

great role model, compassion and true lovefor his players.

Not in hall of fame.

I nominate Coach Glaser.

.....and yes I am biased so my second choice is Bullitt East Coach Settles.

I agree with the nomination of C. Glaser...people might disagree with his offensive style and might think X has the talent at every position each and every year, but they don't see what goes on off the field and during each practice and how he connects with the players. C. Glaser and his coaching staff win games in the off-season, especially with the wieghtroom and the kid's desire to be good. That is from C. Glaser's ability to motivate. If you are nominating C. Glaser, I would add C. Glaser/C. Walsh (or assistant coach of the year), no one ever questions X's defense.