Coach of the Year

Shmeli

The Coach of the Year in Kentucky is Bill Sharp of Russell County. The Russell County Lakers were a combined 4-17 the past two years in 2A football. Coach Sharp, an assistant for the program for over 15 years took over this year as the team entered 3A for the first time. Currently, the Lakers are 8-1 w/ the only loss coming to SWPC, 20-28.

Coach Sharp has been long overdue the job, and has turned the program around.

The team has not played the best of competition; however, show me a team that has made a better improvement, especially after a class jump (and in this case a jump into the strongest in the state).

Bill Sharp should be comended...he's the Coach of the Year!

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Marshall County's Mike Lawson is as good a candidate as anyone ... the Marshals have come from nowhere to go 8-1, with lopsided wins over Mayfield and Christian County (both ranked in the BGP poll at the time) and the only loss on a field goal at Warren Central (a top-5 team in Class 4A) in the final few seconds.

Randy Wood of Morgan County

Took over one of the worst football programs in KENTUCKY at any class. Has won 15 out of 21 football games with less numbers than teams mentioned.

Show me a team in the last 15 years with a worse record and quicker turn around. Also, continues to win games with injuries and in the last few weeks relying on a 3rd string QB.

With only a couple of weeks before last year's first scrimmage they were practicing with between 11 and 14 players and the program nearly folded...to see where this program WAS and IS now is nothing short of remarkable.

The Coach of the Year in Kentucky is Bill Sharp of Russell County. The Russell County Lakers were a combined 4-17 the past two years in 2A football. Coach Sharp, an assistant for the program for over 15 years took over this year as the team entered 3A for the first time. Currently, the Lakers are 8-1 w/ the only loss coming to SWPC, 20-28.

Coach Sharp has been long overdue the job, and has turned the program around.

The team has not played the best of competition; however, show me a team that has made a better improvement, especially after a class jump (and in this case a jump into the strongest in the state).

Bill Sharp should be comended...he's the Coach of the Year!

Good job, but he did inherit a great group of seniors. We've been expecting that class to have a good year once they got to '05.

Randy Wood of Morgan County

Took over one of the worst football programs in KENTUCKY at any class. Has won 15 out of 21 football games with less numbers than teams mentioned.

Show me a team in the last 15 years with a worse record and quicker turn around. Also, continues to win games with injuries and in the last few weeks relying on a 3rd string QB.

With only a couple of weeks before last year's first scrimmage they were practicing with between 11 and 14 players and the program nearly folded...to see where this program WAS and IS now is nothing short of remarkable.

I agree..never believed that a turnaround like he has made was possible at Morgan.