Coach of the Year

Shmeli

St. Xavier dresses close to 100 varsity players, all juniors and seniors, every season ... it isn't like the Tigers are lacking in depth.

Did I miss your nomination? I can't seem to find it!I thought this thread was about nominating coaches not to be critical or anything. Can you give anyone credit for a change.Excuse me but 9-0, on a 21 game win streak against the tougest schedule in the state ,returning only 6 total starters deserves a nomination.

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did I miss your nomination? I can't seem to find it!
Read a little closer, then ... post #2, if you need a hint.

Excuse me but 9-0, on a 21 game win streak against the tougest schedule in the state ,returning only 6 total starters deserves a nomination.
The Tigers were the consensus #1 team in the preseason and widely considered the state's best team. It comes as no surprise that they are undefeated.

Marshall County's Mike Lawson is as good a candidate as anyone ... the Marshals have come from nowhere to go 8-1, with lopsided wins over Mayfield and Christian County (both ranked in the BGP poll at the time) and the only loss on a field goal at Warren Central (a top-5 team in Class 4A) in the final few seconds.

Good choice! I wondered if anyone had an eye on this guy. The game with Warren Central was telling. It will be interesting to see how far Marshall County goes in the playoffs.

By the way, Mike Glaser is also a good nomination. His team was the preseason favorite, but to go undefeated with a killer schedule like they had deserves recognition. Beating Male, Manual, Trinity, Bowling Green, Lexington Catholic, and PRP while never being the home team is impressive. Throw in a massacre of Fort Thomas Highlands at home and you are looking at an impressive campaign.

I must say that Coach Shawn Hager from Sheldon Clark has really done a great job bringing back the Cardinals in just his second year as a head coach. While being young himself and his team suffering from injuries like no other (3 starters 2 being running backs out for knee surgery, a starting receiver out with a broken wrist, and 2 other running backs out at one time for dislocated shoulders) In his first year as head coach the Cardinals finished 2-8 now even with all the injuries the Cardinals 7-3 with a first round home playoff game is a pretty remarkable turn around for a program that doesn’t have very many kids. To me being a good coach is when you display the ability to lead and teach even in the down times not just when you are loaded with talent and good numbers.

St. Xavier dresses close to 100 varsity players, all juniors and seniors, every season ... it isn't like the Tigers are lacking in depth.

Staying on top when you are expected to is not always the easiest thing in the world to do. He does have a lot of great kids, but give the guy at least some credit.

I agree with the nomination of David Hensley. He is in his 4th season as a head coach and his first at Dunbar. He turned things around at East Jessamine in his first year there as they were 4-6 the year before. He had done the same at Dunbar. He is a great guy and a great football coach.