Coach of the Year

Shmeli

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How can you say Sphire? He hasn't done anything but beat teams with less talent for his entire career. He has never even won a region even though he has all those D1 kids year in, year out... I'm not really slamming the guy I just don't think he is as deserving as some of the others mentioned.

AMEN :thumb:

AMEN :thumb:

Funny looking at your posts, here is a quote from you on the thread who are you rooting for since your team is out:

1A Danville

2A Newport

3A ROCK or Bell and anybody playing Lex Cath.

It's OK to be a hater ;) Coach Sphires work this year speaks for itself! One loss on a last second field goal to St X in their only loss of the year. Knocking off Cov Cath and Highlands back to back in the playoffs. Keeping hating ;) it's fun to get a laugh out of people like you! What is your reason that he shouldn't be mentioned this year?

I would also like to nominate Mark Sanders of DeSales. He took over a program that was on the verge of extinction and turned them into champions. He is not only trying to save the football program but the future of the school itself. Here's hoping he can revive that once strong Colt tradition. I still remember Joe Fed.

DeSales has flown under the radar as far as popularity on here but he has done a great job there and should be mentioned. Nice choice!

:walk:

I guess the guy from Park Hills would need to be considered also. However, Eckstein gets my vote.

NO WAY Coach R. gets considered. Coach Ray handed over a good solid team. This years Colonels started off OK beating teams that were weak locally. The progress of a team is a reflection of the coaching staff. We will see what kind of coach he is next year. He and his staff get a C- in my book. You have to beat at least one team you arent supposed to and he could not do this. He was never able to get this team back from the drubbing they received in Columbus.

:walk:

Funny looking at your posts, here is a quote from you on the thread who are you rooting for since your team is out:

1A Danville

2A Newport

3A ROCK or Bell and anybody playing Lex Cath.

It's OK to be a hater ;) Coach Sphires work this year speaks for itself! One loss on a last second field goal to St X in their only loss of the year. Knocking off Cov Cath and Highlands back to back in the playoffs. Keeping hating ;) it's fun to get a laugh out of people like you! What is your reason that he shouldn't be mentioned this year?

I think that Coach Sphire past record speaks for itself. Like HTTC said every year he has the best players in Lexington and surrounding areas mostly D1 players and I do believe this would be his first regional title. He may win the state championship this year, but if he does it should be his 5th or 6th not his 1st. I have heard his past players call his playoff losing streak "yearly choke". I also dont think that leaving your starting QB in during the second half to throw a TD to make the score 77-0 against a struggling is a class move (Bourbon Co.) maybe he was getting back at them for beating him twice in 97, while he had 7 D1 players and Bourbon had 0. I have the right to like who I want. I am glad I can amuse you. Go ROCK! :banana:

I think that Coach Sphire past record speaks for itself. Like HTTC said every year he has the best players in Lexington and surrounding areas mostly D1 players and I do believe this would be his first regional title. He may win the state championship this year, but if he does it should be his 5th or 6th not his 1st. I have heard his past players call his playoff losing streak "yearly choke". I also dont think that leaving your starting QB in during the second half to throw a TD to make the score 77-0 against a struggling is a class move (Bourbon Co.) maybe he was getting back at them for beating him twice in 97, while he had 7 D1 players and Bourbon had 0. I have the right to like who I want. I am glad I can amuse you. Go ROCK! :banana:

Newsflash it's 2005! Lex Cath is Regional Champs and Coach Sphire has done a great job! I'm not even going to address the accusations you make about previous players as they stop by every week and see him. He is a players coach of players coaches! I'd say you are right though about Bourbon Co. I'm sure that beating they took in 97 has really been boiling inside of him and he fianlly decided (even though they have played them every year since then and Bourbon has gone through TWO coaching staffs since then) that he is going to take his anger out this year! :rolleyes: Not much gets by you! :lol: Thanks for another good laugh! :thumb:

Coach Haywood has done another great job at Belfry this year and should be in the mix again especially with the talent they lost.

I would love to see Russell win one for Ivan (and Coach Morriss). They are one of those teams that win every year but things haven't worked out late in the playoffs. Great program and great staff there!

Glaser @ X is a terrific motivator...That is one of the major reasons that there are 100 kids on the team. They all want to play for him. Having that many kids presents problems as well...playing time, attitudes, getting all practice reps...etc...Glaser handles it and his kids love him.

Undefeated while having only 3 returning starters, playing 6 of the 8 top ranked teams in the state, in one of the most high pressured jobs in the state is an incredible accomplishment.

Now if I wasn't allowed to rah, rah for the home team...I would have to go with Brown from John Hardin. He has formed a brand new program (5 years) and led them to the playoffs in 3 of those years....He beat #2 ranked Male, almost beat # 1 X....he also had the best Defense (stats wise) in 4A.