Coach of the Year

Shmeli

I think that Coach Sphire past record speaks for itself. Like HTTC said every year he has the best players in Lexington and surrounding areas mostly D1 players and I do believe this would be his first regional title. He may win the state championship this year, but if he does it should be his 5th or 6th not his 1st. I have heard his past players call his playoff losing streak "yearly choke". I also dont think that leaving your starting QB in during the second half to throw a TD to make the score 77-0 against a struggling is a class move (Bourbon Co.) maybe he was getting back at them for beating him twice in 97, while he had 7 D1 players and Bourbon had 0. I have the right to like who I want. I am glad I can amuse you. Go ROCK! :banana:

What was Sphires record at Knott Co.? I don't remember him pouring it on anyone there. :jump:

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hail to the Chief: "Other coaches around the state don't deal with 5-10 D1 athletes per year and still not win a state title"

Everything that you've posted is absurd, but I just brushed it off as your uninformed opinions. I couldn't let this quote go unchallenged with facts, though:

2004-2005: D-1 scholarships to Michigan and Air Force 2

2003-2004 No D-1 scholarships 0

2002-2003 D-1 scholarships to Kentucky and Wyoming 2

2001-2002 D-1 scholarships to Notre Dame (2) and UK 3

2000-2001 No D-1 Scholarships 0

1999-2000 D-1 scholarship to Syracuse 1

That's an average of 3/4 D-1 scholarships each year. It's amazing how someone can coach teams with less that stellar talent to more than 10 wins every year. This gy has to be a great coach. If you knew these stats and didn't know it was coach Sphire, wouldn't you really think this is a pretty outstanding coach? Be honest.

The finalists for the COY award are in this mornings CJ.

Mike Settles-Bullitt East

Mark Brown-John Hardin

Paul Rains-Lexington Christian

Bob Schneider-NCC

Joey Downs-Bardstown

Out of this group, Rains would probably get my vote. I don't know much about LCA, but I know they haven't been a school for too long. Good job this season.

Hail to the Chief: "Other coaches around the state don't deal with 5-10 D1 athletes per year and still not win a state title"

Everything that you've posted is absurd, but I just brushed it off as your uninformed opinions. I couldn't let this quote go unchallenged with facts, though:

That's an average of 3/4 D-1 scholarships each year. It's amazing how someone can coach teams with less that stellar talent to more than 10 wins every year. This gy has to be a great coach. If you knew these stats and didn't know it was coach Sphire, wouldn't you really think this is a pretty outstanding coach? Be honest.

:laugh:

Count me with XMan85--Coach Glaser has done more to earn Coach of the Year recognition than any other coach in the state. His team is motivated, his players understand the value of playing as a team, and the players respect the coach and know that he cares about them. It is time that Coach G.'s accomplishments be recognized.

Do you know how many D1 players Rockcastle has had in the history of the school? ONE, and they have won more than one regional championship.( now that is coaching) Do you think that Rock had more talent Lex Cath last night or anytime? No and they still played their tails off.

Do you know how many D1 players Rockcastle has had in the history of the school? ONE, and they have won more than one regional championship.( now that is coaching) Do you think that Rock had more talent Lex Cath last night or anytime? No and they still played their tails off.

I don't think I've ever been dumb enough to get on here and say that Coach Larkey and Coach Sailor aren't two of the best coaches in the state because they are! It's obvious you have personal problems with Coach Sphire. As to your question of Rockcastle having better talent last night my answer would be that Lex Cath had better team speed while Rockcastle was MUCH bigger! Both coaches coach to the strength of their team that's why they are two of the best!

Do you not get out and watch any High School football? You act like Lex Cath is the mecca of D1 players and they should have won it all every year. Do you realize they lost in the playoffs to teams like Danville, Highlands, Cov Cath, Boyle etc? If you don't get out much those teams have A TON of tradition and have produced their fair share of D1 players themselves! I think it's a slap in the face to those teams that you act like they haven't done anything to prove themselves and they should have been beaten every year! It's not like they've been blown out in the playoffs by cupcake teams. The teams that have beaten them were top teams in KY with some of the top talent.

Anyways the past is the past. You can dog coaches all you want on here, it's easy to do behind a computer screen. The bottom line is the people that know him think VERY highly of him and he is coaching in the state championship this weekend. You can try to tarnish what he has worked his tail off but the people that have a clue know how good of a Coach he is. Have you ever won a National Champinonship? Have you taken a program that has only been in existance for 15 years and produced a program that has won over 10 games for the last 5 or more years? Have you ever coached a team that has beaten St X, Male,Boyle Co, Highlands, Cov Cath, Rockcastle, Bowling Green etc etc etc? I'm pretty sure most coaches would feel pretty good about those accomplishments. Fire back all you want and hate all you want. His accomplishments speak for themselves! He could coach my son any day of the week! Has it ever dawned on you that he might just make some of those kids D-1 players? Do you think all of those guys go on to play college ball if they play in a different system?

Feel free to PM. I'm sure everybody else is getting tired of us breaking up what should be a positive thread about the men that work so hard in this state to do good things for the young men of Kentucky!

6 wins and 16 losses at Knott Co before going to Lex Cath. Enough Said... :sssh:

Funny looking at your posts, here is a quote from you on the thread who are you rooting for since your team is out:

1A Danville

2A Newport

3A ROCK or Bell and anybody playing Lex Cath.

It's OK to be a hater ;) Coach Sphires work this year speaks for itself! One loss on a last second field goal to St X in their only loss of the year. Knocking off Cov Cath and Highlands back to back in the playoffs. Keeping hating ;) it's fun to get a laugh out of people like you! What is your reason that he shouldn't be mentioned this year?

You wanted to know my reason for not casting my vote for Bob Sphire for coach of the year and I told you. I am sorry that I have my own opinion and it is not the same as yours. I have "got out and show several games" to say the least.

Jay Cobb-Somerset

Marty Jaggers- Mercer Co.

Shawn Hager- Sheldon Clark

and Add Tom Larkey-Rockcastle

I think those 4 have done a great job this year.

This is all that I am going to say on this topic. :walk:

6 wins and 16 losses at Knott Co before going to Lex Cath. Enough Said... :sssh:

Well Hail, tell us all about it. Did he have any D1 players at Knott Co back then? I don't think we'll ever know for sure but I don't think it was Coach Sphire all by himself that was holding Knott County back. I'd encourage you to look at his accomplishments over the last 15 years. But we're missing the point, the most important thing is to look at the high standards that he holds his players to and the many, many young men whose lives that he has affected in a positive way. Enough said.

Well Hail, tell us all about it. Did he have any D1 players at Knott Co back then? I don't think we'll ever know for sure but I don't think it was Coach Sphire all by himself that was holding Knott County back. I'd encourage you to look at his accomplishments over the last 15 years. But we're missing the point, the most important thing is to look at the high standards that he holds his players to and the many, many young men whose lives that he has affected in a positive way. Enough said.

I know a lot of good coaches that if given his talent year in, year out would do more with it. Being a good coach is doing something outstanding and until this year he hasn't done anything amazing. I also heard that the QB for Lex Cath is calling the plays on the offense so maybe it is a just a very talented kid making him look good. Maybe he should hope to be so lucky again next year.