Coach of the Year

Shmeli

I know a lot of good coaches that if given his talent year in, year out would do more with it. Being a good coach is doing something outstanding and until this year he hasn't done anything amazing. I also heard that the QB for Lex Cath is calling the plays on the offense so maybe it is a just a very talented kid making him look good. Maybe he should hope to be so lucky again next year.

OK, now I finally understand what you're saying ... instead of Mr. Football, you believe Justin Burke should be "Coach of the Year".

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am going to say Coach Jay Cobb for Coach of the year at least class A. I know i am biased to the team but look at what he has done this year. This tema has got know respect or anything the whole year they have just came out and played week in and week out and won Somerset it's first regional title since 1999 and the first 12 win season since i dont know how long. He has done a lot to this team in preperation and giving them the motivation to just go out there and have fun. Which has worked this year and done it with players some people have not heard of. He has truly turned this team around from a 5-6 record to a 12-2 record and only one game away from the big show. If I had a vote it would be him for sure.

I know a lot of good coaches that if given his talent year in, year out would do more with it. Being a good coach is doing something outstanding and until this year he hasn't done anything amazing. I also heard that the QB for Lex Cath is calling the plays on the offense so maybe it is a just a very talented kid making him look good. Maybe he should hope to be so lucky again next year.

You say until this year he hasn't done anything amazing??? Can you give me any other programs that have been around for only 15 years and are as stable as the one he has built? Do you not think putting together an amazing string of 10+ win seasons is something to be proud of? I love how the haters just discount teams like St X, Male, Highlands, Boyle, Rockcastle, Danville, Cov Cath etc are cake wins. Those are big time wins! Burke is as good as it gets but do your really think he just calls plays on his own or is there a chance that Coach Sphire has coached him up so much that he is able to do that? That stuff is probably way over your head. This is also 2005 and the thread is Coach of the year in 2005. Most coaches I know would be pretty happy sitting at 13-1 on the season (with the only loss to St X on a FG with 6 seconds left in the game) and a chance to play for the state championship Sat!

I think you guys make yourself look bad enough so I'll just let you keep dogging coaches on here. At times I think it is important to stick up for good people that deserve better though. The title of this thread is Coach of the Year not bash the coaches you have a personal problem with!

With that said, congrats to the final selections. There have been a lot of great coaches named in this thread. I think High School football in KY has come a long ways the past ten or so years and the biggest part IMO is the quality of coaches we have in KY. There are a lot of people that could very well deserve this award which speaks volumes with were football in KY is going!

Hater...

I am going to say Coach Jay Cobb for Coach of the year at least class A. I know i am biased to the team but look at what he has done this year. This tema has got know respect or anything the whole year they have just came out and played week in and week out and won Somerset it's first regional title since 1999 and the first 12 win season since i dont know how long. He has done a lot to this team in preperation and giving them the motivation to just go out there and have fun. Which has worked this year and done it with players some people have not heard of. He has truly turned this team around from a 5-6 record to a 12-2 record and only one game away from the big show. If I had a vote it would be him for sure.

Jay does a TREMENDOUS JOB!!

Owensboro Catholic's Coach John Edge should be a big favorite.

Head Coach for 2004 and 2005. In his first 2 seasons he has taken a school that only went to State once in their entire history. He has taken them 2 times in two years. Not to mention he is only 29 and these are his first 2 years at head coach. I would have to say he has to be the youngest coach in history of the state to have done this and maybe the only one to have done it in their first two seasons as a head coach.

Does anybody else see this as an accomplishment deserving of Coach of the Year or is it just me?

Head Coach for 2004 and 2005. In his first 2 seasons he has taken a school that only went to State once in their entire history. He has taken them 2 times in two years. Not to mention he is only 29 and these are his first 2 years at head coach. I would have to say he has to be the youngest coach in history of the state to have done this and maybe the only one to have done it in their first two seasons as a head coach.

Does anybody else see this as an accomplishment deserving of Coach of the Year or is it just me?

GridIronAce-

I don't think he is that good yet. He has been lucky. They were Lucky in all their playoff games this year. I don't think it is coaching he inherited some good players.

That's not very nice for someone to be saying especially when the school you support is a religion based school... :sssh:

I call'em like I see them. I think God likes a straight shooter. He probably would prefer that I did not cuss, so I will agree I could have been nicer. You got the point and so did Rambo.

:thumb:

I agree.... :thumb:

Bob Sphire...how do you like him, now?

I'm glad he dosen't have to listen to the bull that haters throw at him. The people that know him care about him and have the upmost respect for him. His kids love him, his coaches love him, his kids parents love him, his student body loves him and the outreach from his former players during the state championship run is beyond most peoples imagination!

The man has beaten the best programs in the state. He has built a program in 15 years that has produced a ton of 10 win or more seasons. He has made men out of boys and put a lot of kids in college. Most of all he cares about the people involved with the program. He cares about each individual in the Knight family and those people love him and respect him for it.

Coaching is a TOUGH profession. There is so many great things that come out of it but unfortunatly there are a lot of people that love to undermine and try to take coaches down. I don't know of many coaches that have had to put up with garbage that Coach Sphire has. I defended him 3 years ago when I met him for the first time when he went out of his way to be nice to me and I'll defend him now even more as a friend. It's a little easier now that he's a

STATE CHAMP!!! Congrats Coach! (It couldn't happen to a nicer guy)

Jay Cobb is a wonderful coach, and has been for numerous years now. But my pick maybe bias but it would be Bill Mike Runyon from Paintsville even in 1A. First year coach, pulled 10 win season. Unfortunately the magic came to an end at the hands of Coach Cobb. After a 6-5 season which was a disappointment, BMR came in his first year and turned the entire program around. He did this while enduring obstacles beyond which one could imagine. He brought Paintsville their first district title in 20 years. No offense to any of the coaches mentioned, I just think that BMR deserves it.

Bob Sphire...how do you like him, now?

It's pretty obvious that some people have their minds made up about Sphire and Lexington Catholic no matter what the facts are. Some have to go as far as trying to prove he couldn't coach because of his record at Knott Co. Did I miss something.........was Knott Co. a state power before he arrived? Has anyone ever walked into that job and been immediately successful? This year, Coach Sphire and his program had to beat in consecutive weeks: Covington Catholic, Highlands, Rockcastle Co., and Bowling Green. All are great established programs with excellent coaching staffs as well. Congratulations to Lexington Catholic's football program for a well deserved and hard fought State Championship. As far as past playoff losses, here's a few................lost to: Bourbon Co. (who won the state), lost to Danville (state runner up), lost to Boyle Co.--2 years in a row (state champ both years). These go back a few years, but even more so.............these were teams that were not slouches. If I'm not mistaken, in the two years that Boyle Co. beat Lexington Catholic, Boyle Co. won 2 regular season games and 2 playoff games by a total of 16 points for all 4 games (In 2000, Boyle Co. won both games by 2 points). They were hard fought games. The winner of those games was going to win state. It's a shame that people ("haters") want to cut down a successful coach, but they don't even know all the facts. Congrats to the Lexington Catholic players (the approx. 3 to 4 D-I players and the 90 or so other players) and staff that worked hard together to win state. Great job!

:dancingpa