Open Job: Villa Madonna Academy

And the fifth 9th region All A school job is open. This position, to me, is one that is truly all about the kids because there are few programs, on either the boys or girls side, that have more trouble stringing together wins than this one.

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Tranquility Base said:

Tim Shields always had decent Win/Loss records when he was there.  Once he left, it's been a roller coaster.   What happened?   Run out of talent or did they just up the competition level?

I believe you mean Don Shields.  Tim Shields coached at Conner.

3 hours ago, Tranquility Base said:

Tim Shields always had decent Win/Loss records when he was there.  Once he left, it's been a roller coaster.   What happened?   Run out of talent or did they just up the competition level?

My take on the program under Coach Shields - he ran his system of taking the air out of the ball on offense and a tight zone that made games, especially against schools of a similar size, ooze along and result in super low scoring affairs. That makes a team capable of winning against teams better than them (and losing to teams worse than them).

Brian Coburn came in with a more standard way of going about things than the niche Shields system. Though never wildly successful, he got some wins during the career of Lexie Aytes and a middle school Kayla Unkraut.

Unkraut leaves for St. Henry when she enters high school and Villa still hasn’t found anyone near the level of Unkraut or Aytes to be the engine to success.

During that decline, Coburn left, giving rise to the Kortekamp Era. I think the legacy of Katie Kortekamp will be that she kept the program alive, which can’t be said for other small school girls programs across the state.

23 hours ago, Tranquility Base said:

Tim's brother Don was at Villa. Tim was at Conner.

On 4/10/2024 at 3:51 PM, se7ens said:

And the fifth 9th region All A school job is open. This position, to me, is one that is truly all about the kids because there are few programs, on either the boys or girls side, that have more trouble stringing together wins than this one.

This should let people know how difficult the small school jobs really are. I remember that old Villa gym. The wall was out of bounds lol.