College Athletes get Paid

As Scott van Pelt said tonight, "The charade is over." 

The NCAA and power 5 conferences reached an agreement to pay players directly. They will pay players going back to 2016. Payout will be $2.7B over the next 10 years. All current lawsuits need to be dropped. More details to come but it looks like athletes are getting paid going forward.

I wonder how this impacts NIL? I assume NIL is still there for the top athletes. 

• Thanks 1

Wlwt.com had a nice article on it, this was in the article:

Whether the new compensation model is subject to the Title IX gender equity law is unknown along with whether schools will be able to bring NIL activities in-house as they hope and squeeze out the booster-run collectives that have sprouted up in the last few years to pay athletes. Both topics could lead to more lawsuits.

==============

But most of it is speculation and there are other lawsuits pending.  Who knows but it sounds like most everyone is going to get paid a small amount and NIL deals will still be there for the top athletes.  Whatever happens, I look for it to evolve over the next few years. 

• Like 2

"Here's your check!   Tuition is due within the first 2 weeks of the semester, unless you want to finance it out over the entire term.   Books can't be financed.  Bookstore must be paid in full at the time of purchase.

All school cafeteria and food shops are open from 8:30 to 5, if you can't get there, you'll need to find something off campus.   

Don't spend it all.   The IRS may need to collect additional revenue in April."

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Voice of Reason said:

I wonder how this impacts NIL? I assume NIL is still there for the top athletes. 

As I understand it, when a player signs off to take the payment they give their NIL rights to the university for that year. Players may keep their NIL and turn down the payments if they feel they can generate more on their own. It was mentioned on the radio today that players may take half the payment and retain half of their NIL.

I think it all levels out over the next 2 to 3 seasons to what ever the new normal will be.

I heard a long time D1 sports connected official talking about this and he said it is another step toward the Power 5 conferences leaving the NCAA. The Power 5 conferences will be another type of professional sports. Everything else will go be scholarship sports with some NIL available if athletes can find it. I have heard other commentators say they expect the Power 5 to be separated from the NCAA within 5 years or less.

On 5/25/2024 at 8:03 AM, Voice of Reason said:

I heard a long time D1 sports connected official talking about this and he said it is another step toward the Power 5 conferences leaving the NCAA. The Power 5 conferences will be another type of professional sports. Everything else will go be scholarship sports with some NIL available if athletes can find it. I have heard other commentators say they expect the Power 5 to be separated from the NCAA within 5 years or less.

That's disappointing to me. I’m all for athletes getting paid, but with the lack of rules in place this is ending college sports as we’ve known it. Sad really. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, TheDeuce said:

that's disappointing to me. I’m all for athletes getting paid, but with the lack of rules in place this is ending college sports as we’ve known it. Sad really. 

Agree.

The current system is a complete mess. Just get me to the season, tell me who is playing for the teams I like and then I will root for them. Everything in between the seasons is rubbish.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Voice of Reason said:

Power 5 Football is already outside of the NCAA as far as the money goes. If the Power 5 completely leave the NCAA, then it would fall on them to foot the bill for championships in all the non-revenue sports. It honestly would be easier and less expensive to stay as is.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...