Trinity & St. X - What's the Point?

W.E. Raider

Do you deal with public education?

I am sure there are a number of problems private schools have that public do not. A simple fact is that by law students have the right to a free and appropriate education. By this fact public schools must handle certain things privates do not. In a private if little jonny is a problem little jonny can be removed. Now imagine that on a whole other level due to numbers. They have their enrollment where it is due to giving students the best chance at a good education. When you work and deal with public education comments like that do not make sense at all.

Hopefully, they don't start making decisions based on creating a bigger talent pool for their football team. :lol:

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hopefully, they don't start making decisions based on creating a bigger talent pool for their football team. :lol:

I don't think that was Barrel's point. I think - and I apologize in advance if I'm putting words in your mouth, Barrel - that he's saying that the publics can't always easily remove problem kids from programs. A private can easily take a problem child and remove him from the team...in the publics, it's not nearly so simple.

One reason we do not have large schools or that Boone Co. among others make new schools instead of expanding is due to the fact they are public. If you work in the public school system you know you have your hands tied in. If a public school could just remove a student from the school like a private can then yes building larger schools is more of an option.

5wide is completely correct in the concept of public schools are not going to make choices based on football or other sports for the most part. The idea of stop building more schools to keep up with the numbers is silly. If you work in public education you know how silly that is.

The numbers aren't only about T and X having the largest enrollment of boys. It's the pool from which they draw from.

Let's look at Henderson for example, we have the fourth largest # of boys at 1058. That 1058 comes from a pool of probably 1080 (I am guessing there is 20 or so that go to the christain school or the catholic schools in Evansville and Owensboro). T has 1361 and X has 1436 that draw from a pool of what...20,000 maybe more?

You guys are kidding yourselves if you think the numbers aren't the number 1 reason (not the only reason mind you) T and X dominate. And anyone that wants to use Colerain as an example of how to build your program then fine. Send me the D1 athletes they have and then we can talk.

Something that is often brought up by T and X is the low number fo D1 talent they have (though do not call their players average athletes). While the schools might produce low number of D1 talent (have a D1 lber now) how many of their players either do or have the chance to go on and play football past HS?

Which would you rather have? A team with 1 or 2 D1 talent guys or a team of 15-20 guys that have offers to play in bowl sub divisions? Something else to think about is you do have to take a test to get into both those schools. Their starters might have a higher average IQ. That does make a difference.

The numbers aren't only about T and X having the largest enrollment of boys. It's the pool from which they draw from.

Let's look at Henderson for example, we have the fourth largest # of boys at 1058. That 1058 comes from a pool of probably 1080 (I am guessing there is 20 or so that go to the christain school or the catholic schools in Evansville and Owensboro). T has 1361 and X has 1436 that draw from a pool of what...20,000 maybe more?

You guys are kidding yourselves if you think the numbers aren't the number 1 reason (not the only reason mind you) T and X dominate. And anyone that wants to use Colerain as an example of how to build your program then fine. Send me the D1 athletes they have and then we can talk.

You hit on a good point there...but, where they draw from a larger pool in Jefferson County is where they deserve credit for what they've done. Those schools have made themselves a desired location for any athlete in Jefferson County that is considering switching schools or is trying to decide where to go. So, they have a big pool in their own school...it is supplied by a larger pool in Jefferson County...but T and X themselves have made themselves into attractive options for any kid who has the opportunity and option to go there. Therefore, out of the 20,000 in Jefferson County, they probably get more than their share of talented kids...and then they field a team from that.

The numbers certainly play a big role, but they deserve credit for what they've done with their schools that has put them in the position to take full advantage of the numbers in the area.

I don't think that was Barrel's point. I think - and I apologize in advance if I'm putting words in your mouth, Barrel - that he's saying that the publics can't always easily remove problem kids from programs. A private can easily take a problem child and remove him from the team...in the publics, it's not nearly so simple.

I totally agree with this statement. And maybe this is apart of the disadvantage the public schools have????

You hit on a good point there...but, where they draw from a larger pool in Jefferson County is where they deserve credit for what they've done. Those schools have made themselves a desired location for any athlete in Jefferson County that is considering switching schools or is trying to decide where to go. So, they have a big pool in their own school...it is supplied by a larger pool in Jefferson County...but T and X themselves have made themselves into attractive options for any kid who has the opportunity and option to go there. Therefore, out of the 20,000 in Jefferson County, they probably get more than their share of talented kids...and then they field a team from that.

The numbers certainly play a big role, but they deserve credit for what they've done with their schools that has put them in the position to take full advantage of the numbers in the area.

I don't disagree but let's look at Henderson again. Henderson makes it's self attractive for athletes. They then expand their pool from 1000 or so kids to 1000 or so kids. The pool gets no bigger because they are it in Henderson. So in the end Henderson still have to field it's team from the talent pool of 1000-1100. Those numbers aren't anything to sneeze at and Henderson should do a better job of getting it's talent out of the halls and onto the field. But even with that we are behind the curve competeing with X and T.

Look at Ohio and IN. Where are the majority of the power house programs located? In the biggest towns. In Ohio it's Clev, Cin, Dayton, Columbus and in Indiana it's Indy, Evansville, Carmel, Greenwood, and other areas around Indy.

:thumb:

Also, no one from X or T have really answered the question that someone asked before and that is, "How many of your football players play another sport?"

I am also curious how many kids are in each football program at X and T?

Something that is often brought up by T and X is the low number fo D1 talent they have (though do not call their players average athletes). While the schools might produce low number of D1 talent (have a D1 lber now) how many of their players either do or have the chance to go on and play football past HS?

Which would you rather have? A team with 1 or 2 D1 talent guys or a team of 15-20 guys that have offers to play in bowl sub divisions? Something else to think about is you do have to take a test to get into both those schools. Their starters might have a higher average IQ. That does make a difference.

Just so everyone is clear, future students at T and X do not take an entrance exam. It is a placement test, meaning it is given to aid in the assignment of students to the appropriate academic level.

Also, no one from X or T have really answered the question that someone asked before and that is, "How many of your football players play another sport?"

I don't know the exact amount from either school. Over the years I have known several to play other sport besides football. (Usually track, basketball or baseball). I am sure one of the T/X gurus on here can give better numbers.

I would look at the schools web site on how many play on each level. They have rosters for each team or again a school guru can tell you numbers.

I (as well as most on here) have never said that X/T don't have numbers. That is a given. What I think is laughable that there is an opinion that each of these schools have 100 kids and everyone of them are Brian Brohm's, Deuce Finch, Jordan Whiting and or Randy Moss...you get the picture. That is just not so. I mean that with no disrespect to these players.

Also...Trinity has been winning championships since 1968. With the exception of the 90's (2 championships) they have won four or more every decade since the 70's. T/X football facitilies where not that great up until very recent years.

There is no real point becasue these two fine schools will continue to dominat the state. There might be a fluke year where one does not make it or another fluke where nither makes it. There are few thinggs that will change this and none of the ones I can think of will ever occur.

Maybe the only point is it gives fans another reason to post about football when the season is so far away.

May I ask why does it matter how many football players at X and T play other sports? At X at the freshmen level last year, 5 football players played baseball, 3 played basketball, and 1 played all three(football, basketball and baseball). I don't know how many ran track or wrestled. I would estimate 12 or more played lacrosse. I would say roughly 20 to 30 football players particiapted in other sports. This was out of a roster of about 100, which was down to about 65 as JV's this year.

May I ask why does it matter how many football players at X and T play other sports?
Because it strikes me that you don't see too many multi-sport athletes at places like Trinity, St. Xavier and even Lexington Catholic.

With the numbers advantage comes another advantage, I suspect ... that a majority of the football players are single-sport athletes, which means they're devoting all of their offseason to football as well.

Because it strikes me that you don't see too many multi-sport athletes at places like Trinity, St. Xavier and even Lexington Catholic.

With the numbers advantage comes another advantage, I suspect ... that a majority of the football players are single-sport athletes, which means they're devoting all of their offseason to football as well.

How many do you see at Highlands (football power), PRP, Dunbar and Lafayette (baseball powers) Holmes, Mason County, South Laurel, Ballard, Manual and PRP again (basketball powers)?

It's staring to feel like the tretament Hester Prynne around here as it relates to T and X. :cool: